Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fierybiscuits
    • By Fierybiscuits 12th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fierybiscuits
    Confused by Help to Buy ISA
    • 12th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    Confused by Help to Buy ISA 12th Jun 17 at 2:48 PM
    Hi there,

Hope someone can help answer my questions! I took out a Help to Buy ISA just over a year ago. At the time I didn't have any savings so I didn't put in a large amount in the first month, and have just been saving the £200 a month ever since. I had to take a few months out for financial reasons, so it will still be a good 3 years before I've reached the maximum savings amount.

My partner and I had only been together about 9 months at the time, and he went on to buy a property last summer, as he already had the deposit to do so. We've been doing the place up ever since and aren't living there yet, but we are looking to move in by the end of this year. To keep things simple (and to keep finances separate for the time being), I was going to continue to save into my ISA, while he pays the mortgage. However, obviously I will be living there for at least a couple of years before we're likely to want to move.

Will this affect my ability to get the ISA bonus in the future at all? I still won't have technically owned so I'm presuming not, but we'd like to use the funds to put towards a new house if/when we outgrow that one, and I want to be sure we can do this.

Also, does anything change if we were to get married before moving out of that property? Would that mean I've owned part of the house? I'm a bit confused by it all and would really like to know what's the most sensible thing to do with my money for the next few years, especially as I'm about to receive a fairly substantial pay rise and will want to start saving more alongside the ISA as well. Would it make a difference if I switched to a LISA?

Hope you can help! Many thanks
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 5,005 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    See this thread from yesterday which is essentially the same question (and same answer!): http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5663016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,076Posts Today

9,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin