Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liljodes
    • By liljodes 12th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    liljodes
    Enterprise Car Rental Scam - Help Please
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    Enterprise Car Rental Scam - Help Please 12th Jun 17 at 9:16 AM
    Hi All.

Pretty new here but I am desperate for advise.

I believe I have been scammed by Enterprise Car Rental.

Last October, a driver pulled into the side of my car and claimed on his insurance. During this time his insurer arranged car rental for me (my first one).

Enterprise came and I checked the car, they mentioned that any scuffs etc that were not bigger than the circular template he handed to me do not need to be noted.

In hindsight I would have now been more particular to mark every scuff on there but it was my first hire car and it seemed easy enough. Boy was I wrong.

I had the option to pay their daily insurance of £10 per day (at this point I had no idea how long they would have my car in for repairs) or use the excess on my own insurance if I am in an accident etc.

I opted for my excess as I wasn't going to be driving the car that much.

Upon returning the hire car, the representative spent a lot of time looking at the passenger right hand side door. Asked my opinion if I could see a dent. I spent a while looking and said, no, I cant see anything.

To cut a long story short, he took the car back to Enterprise to get an opinion as I said I don't believe there is anything, and obviously called me to say "Yes its definitely had a dent in the door, most likely when you're in a car park and someone has opened their door onto yours"
    I said I didn't agree but they mentioned they would be taking the payment from my card of £300 for damages. It just so happened that I had cancelled my card during the time I had the car on hire because I had lost it!
    I advised they wouldn't get payment as the card was cancelled.

A few months later I had a claim through my insurer mentioning that Enterprise wanted to claim against me for damages. I emailed my insurer back with the outline of what happened and I believe it was Enterprise trying to scam me, along with links to other customers being treated the same. My insurer dropped the case against me and advised this wouldn't need to go any further.

I then didn't hear from Enterprise again, until months later (Around March I believe) they started sending me letters asking for payment. I have had 1 letter a month at least, one being a full invoice with breakdown of works for this imaginary dent, which has now totalled £462.27 (because I assume they are not letting me use my insurance excess any more)

I have read online about similar cases and I really do believe they are trying to scam me.

I have not replied to any letters they have sent ( none via special delivery ) but now have received a letter threatening legal action.

Any ideas of what steps I should use next please? Or what to do?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 31,513 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:46 AM
    They will pursue you for the money.

Pass the correspondence on to your insurer (who dealt with their initial claim mentioned in your op)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter