Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 21Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Laptop is SUPER slow
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Laptop is SUPER slow 10th Jun 17 at 5:55 PM
    This has suddenly happened. Everything was fine until Thursday evening when everything my laptop did/does is super slow. Loading up, shutting down, opening or closing anything. Even typing this post up the text is appearing on the screen far later than the moment I press the keys. When clicking on the start menu icon, the menu only pops up about 10 seconds later.
    An advert from Avira slowly appearing in the bottom right corner of the screen is slow.
    The laptop is windows 8.1 and I've had it for 3 years. I have no idea what has gone wrong. Please help!
Page 2
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    AndyPix
    As long as you have your important files backed up i see no reason to stop using this device.
    From your description, and the fact you have found no malware, it kind of points to either a freak one off, or the hard drive failing ..

It might be worth running checkdisk to check for errors and bad sectors
    . From elevated command prompt type chkdsk /r and press enter

If the issue happens again, it will be useful for anyone diagnosing the issue to know what processes were taking cpu cycles.
    Next time (if) it happens, open task manager, click the processes tab and order them by CPU.
    Let us know what is at the top and what % cpu it is using

Andy
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,629Posts Today

8,719Users online

Martin's Twitter