Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 21Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Laptop is SUPER slow
    • 10th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Laptop is SUPER slow 10th Jun 17 at 5:55 PM
    This has suddenly happened. Everything was fine until Thursday evening when everything my laptop did/does is super slow. Loading up, shutting down, opening or closing anything. Even typing this post up the text is appearing on the screen far later than the moment I press the keys. When clicking on the start menu icon, the menu only pops up about 10 seconds later.
    An advert from Avira slowly appearing in the bottom right corner of the screen is slow.
    The laptop is windows 8.1 and I've had it for 3 years. I have no idea what has gone wrong. Please help!
Page 2
    • were
    • By were 13th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    besides the ones you have already discovered, my hit list to query or uninstall

apple mDNSresponder, uninstall the apple stuff. it has given problems in the past. install it later again if you must

Avira? you bought it? Yours looks different then my free one?
    Omnipass, an enterprise Password Management, possibly by HP? are you using this????
    youcam? are you using this????
    Power2GoExpress? are you using this????
    Adobe elements? are you using this????
    You have a hp printer?
    You are running malwarebytes and avira?
    Google crash handler - look here and stop it http://www.technixupdate.com/stop-and-remove-googlecrashhandler-exe-from-running-on-your-computer/
    Last edited by were; 14-06-2017 at 4:31 AM.
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 14th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Didn't know I had apple stuff on my laptop.
    Never bought Avira. It is free.
    Never heard of Omnipass.
    Have used youcam and power2goexpress a couple of times in my laptops life.
    I do have a HP printer.
    I am running malware bytes and Avira.
    Will have a look at google crash handler. I've never heard of it before.
    Do you think my laptop is safe to use? I have important sensitive information things to do by the end of today. Don't really want to use the library computer for it.
    • were
    • By were 14th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    were
    yes your PC is safe to use, just a bit slow.

This is my complete avira.

just uninstall the apple stuff (bonjour), and you have already done what grumpy crab said?

Once done come back with some more screenshots of process explorer running as Admin, so we can check stuff again.

Also download and run this, to make sure you drive is not on its way out http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
    Last edited by were; 14-06-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 14th Jun 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I always disable the Apple services rather than uninstall Itunes (which I need for backup of phone only)

There are three Apple services you need to disable

Apple Mobile Device Service
    Bonjour Service
    Ipod Service

While you are in Services look for and disable (so you can update manually)

Google Update Service (GPupdateM)
    Google Update Service (GPupdate)
    Skype Updater

Any other updater, Adobe, Comodo etc

What I find about these services is that they hogg network bandwidth even when they are just polling, this is because there is an app taking resources and waiting on the network for a result.

The other thing that stands out is that you are running two AV programs, many PC's can't cope with one if it is scanning every file that is read, if you are using the live version of Malwarebytes rather than one where you launch scans, then your machine will slower

However, my understanding from this thread is that your Laptop has returned to normal.

It seems likely to me that the big update from AV programme update which took several days, perhaps along with Windows updates, slowed the machine (check windows updates history to verify).

You have not found any viruses so it seems you are safe, as long as you have a backup of your data I think you are fine to keep using the laptop.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    AndyPix
    As long as you have your important files backed up i see no reason to stop using this device.
    From your description, and the fact you have found no malware, it kind of points to either a freak one off, or the hard drive failing ..

It might be worth running checkdisk to check for errors and bad sectors
    . From elevated command prompt type chkdsk /r and press enter

If the issue happens again, it will be useful for anyone diagnosing the issue to know what processes were taking cpu cycles.
    Next time (if) it happens, open task manager, click the processes tab and order them by CPU.
    Let us know what is at the top and what % cpu it is using

Andy
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,428Posts Today

9,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin