Smart phone for total beginner

jolizzie
jolizzie Posts: 29 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I have a Microsoft lumina smartphone with sim only from plusnet but haven't a clue about terminology
What is 4G
Can I access internet and use a something to give me directions whilst driving
Help I'm a silver surfer so in plain language please

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    jolizzie wrote: »
    I have a Microsoft lumina smartphone with sim only from plusnet but haven't a clue about terminology
    What is 4G

4G is just fast mobile internet access.

As for Sat Nav. you may have an app for this already.
    I looked on the Microsoft store and saw a few.
    eg

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/maps-for-lumia-premium/9nblggh3ntn7
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You've got a Windows smartphone. It's 'Lumia' by the way, and there's a number after that to tell you what the model really is.
    4G is a mobile communications system - it's the best at the moment and gives the fastest data speed when away from WiFi. Your phone will have WiFi, and you should use it when possible (at home, in cafes etc) instead of using up the 4G data you get on your SIM.
    Yes, you can access internet. I'm sure there's an internet browser, maybe something called Internet Explorer or Edge on your phone. I'm sure it'll also have a sat nav app - it might have 'Here' or 'Here Maps' built in, which goes back to Nokia days and is apparently good, and should include directions.
    Have a poke round the phone and ask any questions, hopefully someone that actually has a Lumia will appear...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What is 4G

Due to the size of the screen I'd consider getting a standalone satnav for the car.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Due to the size of the screen I'd consider getting a standalone satnav for the car.

Not at all. The built in Navigation is excellent. Have used it all over the world with it's 4" screen.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    What is 4G

Which Life Mobile/PlusNet tariff?
    Nokia Lumia(which number)?

My Lumia has excellent integrated SatNav and maps and it was their most basic model.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    WAYT wrote: »
    Not at all. The built in Navigation is excellent. Have used it all over the world with it's 4" screen.

I didn't say it doesn't work, it may be brilliant (although I wouldn't touch a Windows phone with a barge-pole). The OP is a 'silver surfer' (their words) and I'm guessing they don't have the same eyesight as when they were in their twenties.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Due to the size of the screen

What screen? I haven't seen what model of phone we're talking about here yet.
    Microsoft lumia is better thank nokia lumia ??

Microsoft bought Nokia. If it's a Microsoft Lumia, it's newer than a Nokia Lumia, and better specwise you would generalise.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately you bought into the wrong OS. Windows phones have far fewer apps than either Android or iOS. I'd be surprised if Microsoft were still in this market in a couple of years.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Windows phone are some of the more difficult phones to use in my experience. For anybody considering buying one ask about repairs. Last I'd heard MS had withdrawn accreditation from all UK repair centres and were forcing warranty repairs to be done in Eastern Europe with a turnround time of 4 weeks or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure