Advance payment for motorcycle tyres

Afternoon

Searching for a reasonable price to supply and fit tyres etc locally and found a company but they have asked for payment up front as they dont stock the required spec tyres.

Never had this before with car tyres.

How do I go about protecting the up front payment to make sure I either get the service or a refund if they cant supply.

Have yet to confirm if they want payment for just the tyres or the whole amount for fitting etc up front.

Thanks

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've never heard this myself, clearly they have a cash flow or poor credit facilities with their suppliers. I'd go somewhere else.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    Afternoon

Searching for a reasonable price to supply and fit tyres etc locally and found a company but they have asked for payment up front as they dont stock the required spec tyres.

Never had this before with car tyres.

How do I go about protecting the up front payment to make sure I either get the service or a refund if they cant supply.

Have yet to confirm if they want payment for just the tyres or the whole amount for fitting etc up front.

Thanks

How much is it per tyre?

If they're asking for payment upfront due to them not stocking that type of tyre normally, I'd expect the only upfront fee to be for the tyres. If they ask you to pay the fitting fee upfront also, I'd run a mile.

If there is nothing special about the tyres and all other fitters stock them as standard, that would cause me to run another mile.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tyres cost approx £120 for the pair plus about £25 - £30 for the inner tubes not particularly rare but not run of the mill as they are tubed tyres.

Total cost £230 which is about right for supply and fit from the few online quotes available.

Not easy or cheap for M/C tyres it seems compared to cars :(

Might be easier to get online myself and fit, would be the first time though and not sure if would need balancing.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they want the payment made by bank transfer then I would run a mile in the opposite direction.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes they need balancing.

Bottom line once bitten etc. They have probably been stuck with tyres before after people ordering them and not coming back.

It's not like kwik fit where you just pop in and get them done there and then. Bikes are different, not many local fitters and usually small independent outfits that can't stock all the different combinations.

Nothing to do with cash flow either it's just making sure you really want them before they order them.

If in doubt buy them with a credit card for s 75 protection.
  • Heliflyguy
    edited 17 May 2017 at 8:23PM
    Thanks all, most helpful info Bris, will get back to them tomorrow and get some more details.might also ask for fitting only cost but that would mean getting a bike lift to get both wheels off, this MSE stuff is tricky at times :)

I would be able to pay them a visit and if CC payment is accepted I could pay for the tyres/tubes.

Would some sort of order form with the deatils be advisable.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    Thanks all, most helpful info Bris, will get back to them tomorrow and get some more details.might also ask for fitting only cost but that would mean getting a bike lift to get both wheels off, this MSE stuff is tricky at times :)

I would be able to pay them a visit and if CC payment is accepted I could pay for the tyres/tubes.

Would some sort of order form with the deatils be advisable.

I wouldn't deal with any company these days who don't take credit cards, and of course you want a copy of an order form with specific details of the tyres ordered and cost of fitting included.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Hermione_Granger Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    bris wrote: »
    If in doubt buy them with a credit card for s 75 protection.

S75 probably won't apply as the cost of each individual item isn't above the £100 minimum (unless the tyres are actually advertised as a pair for £120).
  • Heliflyguy
    S75 probably won't apply as the cost of each individual item isn't above the £100 minimum (unless the tyres are actually advertised as a pair for £120).

They are not sold as a pair unfortunately.

Its only the rear that needs changing but because it would be a different type of tyre the front will need to be changed as well, a bit wasteful but the next time round will be less expensive.

Thanks for the additional info, think I will look elsewhere. :beer:
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The last time I bought tyres they were a set, a lot are sold as matching sets so arguably no separate price. I suppose it would be down to how the CC sees it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure