Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    • 381Posts
    • 355Thanks
    bertiewhite
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up
    • 17th May 17, 8:38 AM
    0 WOW
    Aldi prices creeping up 17th May 17 at 8:38 AM
    Has anybody else noticed how Aldi prices are rising compared to the "big" supermarkets?

We've shopped at Aldi for some while now as on average, we reckoned our weekly shop costed around 2/3rd that of a similar Tesco shop. In the last few weeks however, we've noticed prices rising and I assumed it was down to a mix of a weak pound and inflation but I did a comparison last night.

I took last week's Aldi receipt and did a sample equivalent online shop at both ASDA & Tesco. The result?

ALDI - £38.76
    ASDA - £38.43
    Tesco - £40.42

Now these comparison shops were online orders for home delivery so I would have had to add on £3-£5 but in reality that's what it costs me in fuel to drive to ALDI anyway. Also, some items aren't directly comparable but I did choose those which we would have bought in a typical "basic" shop.
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 96,143 Thanks
    maman
    • 17th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:24 PM
    I had noticed prices creeping up a bit but not as much as the few things I buy in Sainsbury's. As an example, with inflation running at below 3%, 2 of the items I get from Sainsbury's have gone up 20% since the start of the year. I know it's not all about increased food prices as fuel has to be taken into account (doubt there's been an increase in staff wages) but profit margins seem to be sacrosanct.

I think it does depend on what you buy and I don't think it's fair to compare the basic range from a supermarket with Aldi as Aldi is better quality IMO.

I tried your experiment with my shopping list from Aldi last week. I went for own brand wherever possible. This is how it worked out for me:

Asda £51.35
    Tesco: £51.68
    Aldi: £37.22!!

So it's still very worthwhile for me shopping at Aldi.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 17th May 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 5,515 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 17th May 17, 1:30 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:30 PM
    The gap between Aldi and the big supermarkets is shrinking over time, but I think part of that is down to the big supermarkets trying to win back customers, so making their products cheaper.

The quality at Aldi however is far superior than other big supermarkets I have tried.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 43.5 lb
    Last updated: 27th June 2017
    Body Magic: Bronze earned 27th June 2017
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 17th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:05 PM
    Maman - maybe this thread could be a place for us all to compare weekly shops?
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 17th May 17, 8:05 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    • 17th May 17, 8:05 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:05 PM
    Also Lidl. I've been buying their 50p bag of frozen chips for the last year. It's just a nice size for us and means I haven't got to store chips in the freezer. Bought a bag yesterday....now 55p.....10% price increase!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 58,760 Posts
    • 341,982 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:08 PM
    Prices are creeping up as they are now advertising on the telly etc - and developing/promoting "premium brands" and posher stuff, to attract the middle classes.

They used to simply sell good food at cheap prices... now they're in the race for people who buy unusual stuff, new fads, luxury items etc. The shops also have to be kept cleaner/smarter than they used to be....

All of that costs money.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 58,760 Posts
    • 341,982 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    Also Lidl. I've been buying their 50p bag of frozen chips for the last year. It's just a nice size for us and means I haven't got to store chips in the freezer. Bought a bag yesterday....now 55p.....10% price increase!
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    I buy those - they went DOWN to 50p in about late 2015. They were 55-60p before that.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th May 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    robin58
    • 17th May 17, 8:10 PM
    • 17th May 17, 8:10 PM
    Yes but don't complain.

Without Aldi or Lidl the big Four supermarkets would be ripping us off even more.

Some people would still be unhappy even if they gave the food for free to you.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Buggins
    • By Buggins 18th May 17, 7:14 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Buggins
    • 18th May 17, 7:14 AM
    • 18th May 17, 7:14 AM
    I went to buy Manuka honey in Aldi and found the price had increased by £2!
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 18th May 17, 7:33 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Lidl have as well. There fresh pain au chocolate have gone up from 39p to 45p ( still cheaper than other places but an increase)
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th May 17, 8:01 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Yes but don't complain.

Without Aldi or Lidl the big Four supermarkets would be ripping us off even more.

Some people would still be unhappy even if they gave the food for free to you.
    Originally posted by robin58
    I agree, but at what point do you start to shop elsewhere? My point is - I have shopped at ALDI for quite some time now because although mine is a smaller store, is rubbish for parking and has limited choice, it was worth going to because of the MUCH lower prices.

Why would I continue putting up with the negatives when the main advantage is no longer there?
    Last edited by bertiewhite; 18-05-2017 at 8:13 AM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th May 17, 8:20 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 19,065 Thanks
    Doc N
    After the Brexit referendum outcome, and the resulting fall in the value of the £, grocery prices are rising fast in all supermarkets.

My own experience suggests, though, that Aldi and Lidl are still undercutting the major supermarkets by around 30% - though that depends very much on what you buy.

It's not the case with the branded goods that Aldi and Lidl now also sell, but it never was. There's little point in shopping at Aldi and Lidl if you're going to buy brands, which are always going to be overpriced by comparison with the own-label products.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th May 17, 8:20 AM
    • 8,741 Posts
    • 12,692 Thanks
    meer53
    You choose where to shop, if there's no advantage, shop elsewhere. You don't have to put up with anything !

If i compare my full weekly shop Aldi/Tesco i still save about £30. It's a no brainer for me. If you only buy a few things it might not be worth it. I prefer the range and quality at Aldi to anywhere else.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    After the Brexit referendum outcome, and the resulting fall in the value of the £, grocery prices are rising fast in all supermarkets.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Well yes, that's what I assumed (as I quoted in my opening post) which is why I did the comparison shop online.

My own experience suggests, though, that Aldi and Lidl are still undercutting the major supermarkets by around 30% - though that depends very much on what you buy.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    You choose where to shop, if there's no advantage, shop elsewhere. You don't have to put up with anything !

If i compare my full weekly shop Aldi/Tesco i still save about £30. It's a no brainer for me. If you only buy a few things it might not be worth it. I prefer the range and quality at Aldi to anywhere else.
    Originally posted by meer53

I tried your experiment with my shopping list from Aldi last week. I went for own brand wherever possible. This is how it worked out for me:

Asda £51.35
    Tesco: £51.68
    Aldi: £37.22!!

So it's still very worthwhile for me shopping at Aldi.
    Originally posted by maman
    Many thanks to you all - that's exactly why I started this thread as I used to save around 1/3rd compared to Tesco but I wanted to find out what others have actually found rather than perceive. Admittedly, my comparison shop was only the basics that we get every week so I'll compare the next couple of shops and post them on here, maybe even itemising so you can see what I'm comparing!!

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll continue to shop where the best value for money is
    Last edited by bertiewhite; 18-05-2017 at 8:48 AM.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 18th May 17, 10:08 AM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I routinely visit a Sainsbury's on the same day as I shop at Aldi. I go there to top up with products that Aldi doesn't sell and because it has a halfway decent cafe. I wander around Sainsbury's aisles amazed by how much more they charge for either identical or inferior products. It leaves me in absolutely no doubt that I'm saving at least 30 per cent by sticking with Aldi.

Less often I shop at Waitrose. Even they manage to beat Sainsbury's on the items I buy. On the rare occasion I steel myself to use Tesco, they work our cheaper than Sainsbury's or Waitrose but still a lot more than Aldi.

On the question of inflation, unless people are resorting to the usual politician's trick of setting an advantageous comparison point, the currency shift alone does not account for the current level of food price inflation, not least because of the transport cost component. As has been exposed by umpteen newspaper articles, some companies are simply using this as an excuse to raise prices - something they have been desperate to do following several years of stagnation and even in some cases deflation. In short, they are taking advantage of the situation and grasping the excuse to cash in.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 18th May 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    robin58
    For once A. Badger I totally agree with what you say.

I just wish other people would see how companies "economics' work. They are not your friend. All they are after is the money in your pocket to line thiers. Any company will make an excuse to raise prces.
    How little I know.!!
    • Uhtred Ragnarsson
    • By Uhtred Ragnarsson 18th May 17, 4:58 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Uhtred Ragnarsson
    FThey are not your friend. All they are after is the money in your pocket to line thiers..
    That's the job of the supermarkets - to take our money. Our job as savvy customers is not to bloody let them!
    Wyrd bid ful āraed
    • robin58
    • By robin58 18th May 17, 11:23 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    robin58
    That's the job of the supermarkets - to take our money. Our job as savvy customers is not to bloody let them!
    Originally posted by Uhtred Ragnarsson
    I don't. If you read A. Badgers post, that's how I shop.

But it just not supermarkets, it's evey company you will ever buy from in your life. They will dip in your pocket given half the chance.

I used to joke at work that a company is never happy in giving back change from you purchase. It's when they turn you upside to try and shake out and grab the change they just given you, is when we have a problem.
    How little I know.!!
    • thor
    • By thor 19th May 17, 2:04 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    thor
    I think part of that is down to the big supermarkets trying to win back customers, so making their products cheaper.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    If only....
    • Uhtred Ragnarsson
    • By Uhtred Ragnarsson 19th May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Uhtred Ragnarsson
    I don't. If you read A. Badgers post, that's how I shop.

But it just not supermarkets, it's evey company you will ever buy from in your life. They will dip in your pocket given half the chance.

I used to joke at work that a company is never happy in giving back change from you purchase. It's when they turn you upside to try and shake out and grab the change they just given you, is when we have a problem.

I do the very same. I'm lucky enough to live within 2 minutes of an Aldi and a 5 minute drive to a Lidl as well as all other major supermarkets. I spend the vast majority of my silver now in Aldi though as I can't get that sort of quality for less elsewhere.

You're spot on about every company dipping your pocket - I like to play consumerism as a game (now that I've seen the light) and I take great pleasure at giving the blighters the least amount possible.

Fate is everything
    Wyrd bid ful āraed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,611Posts Today

8,696Users online

Martin's Twitter