Stocks and shares ISA

Options
Hi. I'm new to this so please be gentle. I have an HSBC stocks and shares ISA which I pay in £25 a month. I've had it for years.
If I want to start a new iSA do I have to transfer this to the new provider or can I have 2? I will be nowhere near the 20k a year limit. Munnypot said that I will need to transfer my is a over to them bit I don't really want to!
Hope that makes sense and thanks for your replies! I am very confused!

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You can have 2 S&S ISAs started in different years. But why would you want to? Much easier just to keep with the same provider. Munnypot is perhaps talking about opening and contributing to 2 S&S ISAs in the same year.
  • dmarks70
    Options
    I would be contributing to 2 as I am paying £25 a month and want to continue. Is that not allowed?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That is not allowed
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The rule is you can only contribute to one isa per tax year. If you have made monthly contributions since 6 April to HSBC one then you need to continue with that one. If you are unhappy with it then you can transfer to a new provider.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Redski69
    Redski69 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 9:49AM
    Options
    dmarks70 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm new to this so please be gentle. I have an HSBC stocks and shares ISA which I pay in £25 a month. I've had it for years.
    If I want to start a new iSA do I have to transfer this to the new provider or can I have 2? I will be nowhere near the 20k a year limit. Munnypot said that I will need to transfer my is a over to them bit I don't really want to!
    Hope that makes sense and thanks for your replies! I am very confused!

No, you don't have to transfer your existing holdings across !

The annual allowance of £20K (2017 / 18) is a Customer level allowance - not a product level allowance.

So, although you can't have more than 1 ISA of the same type with different Platforms in the same tax year, you can have different ISAs with different providers in the same tax year.

ie. I could have a Stocks & Shares ISA with Halifax this year and a Cash ISA with Barclays and be completely compliant of the regulations.

In the context of your scenario, because you've kicked off your 2017 / 18 S&S ISA with HSBC you have a couple of choices :

1) Open a Cash ISA elsewhere & continue the S&S ISA with HSBC
    2) Open a new S&S ISA with another provider and re-register your existing holdings across to it (don't Cash Transfer!)

Hope it helps ...
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Redski69 wrote: »
    In the context of your scenario, because you've kicked off your 2017 / 18 S&S ISA with HSBC you have a couple of choices :

1) Open a Cash ISA elsewhere & continue the S&S ISA with HSBC
    2) Open a new S&S ISA with another provider and re-register your existing holdings across to it (don't Cash Transfer!)

option 2 - they may not let you transfer the holdings across. In this scenario I had to 'sell up' within my Aviva S&S ISA then it was transferred to a new S&S ISA with Halifax as cash and I bought new shares with the cash.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure