Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dmarks70
    • By dmarks70 16th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dmarks70
    Stocks and shares ISA
    • 16th May 17, 8:54 PM
    Stocks and shares ISA 16th May 17 at 8:54 PM
    Hi. I'm new to this so please be gentle. I have an HSBC stocks and shares ISA which I pay in £25 a month. I've had it for years.
    If I want to start a new iSA do I have to transfer this to the new provider or can I have 2? I will be nowhere near the 20k a year limit. Munnypot said that I will need to transfer my is a over to them bit I don't really want to!
    Hope that makes sense and thanks for your replies! I am very confused!
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 16th May 17, 9:07 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 7,713 Thanks
    Linton
    • 16th May 17, 9:07 PM
    • 16th May 17, 9:07 PM
    You can have 2 S&S ISAs started in different years. But why would you want to? Much easier just to keep with the same provider. Munnypot is perhaps talking about opening and contributing to 2 S&S ISAs in the same year.
    • dmarks70
    • By dmarks70 16th May 17, 10:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dmarks70
    • 16th May 17, 10:17 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:17 PM
    I would be contributing to 2 as I am paying £25 a month and want to continue. Is that not allowed?
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 16th May 17, 10:25 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 3,598 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 16th May 17, 10:25 PM
    • 16th May 17, 10:25 PM
    That is not allowed
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 16th May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 16th May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 16th May 17, 11:03 PM
    The rule is you can only contribute to one isa per tax year. If you have made monthly contributions since 6 April to HSBC one then you need to continue with that one. If you are unhappy with it then you can transfer to a new provider.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • Redski69
    • By Redski69 17th May 17, 9:40 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Redski69
    • 17th May 17, 9:40 AM
    • 17th May 17, 9:40 AM
    Hi. I'm new to this so please be gentle. I have an HSBC stocks and shares ISA which I pay in £25 a month. I've had it for years.
    If I want to start a new iSA do I have to transfer this to the new provider or can I have 2? I will be nowhere near the 20k a year limit. Munnypot said that I will need to transfer my is a over to them bit I don't really want to!
    Hope that makes sense and thanks for your replies! I am very confused!
    Originally posted by dmarks70
    No, you don't have to transfer your existing holdings across !

The annual allowance of £20K (2017 / 18) is a Customer level allowance - not a product level allowance.

So, although you can't have more than 1 ISA of the same type with different Platforms in the same tax year, you can have different ISAs with different providers in the same tax year.

ie. I could have a Stocks & Shares ISA with Halifax this year and a Cash ISA with Barclays and be completely compliant of the regulations.

In the context of your scenario, because you've kicked off your 2017 / 18 S&S ISA with HSBC you have a couple of choices :

1) Open a Cash ISA elsewhere & continue the S&S ISA with HSBC
    2) Open a new S&S ISA with another provider and re-register your existing holdings across to it (don't Cash Transfer!)

Hope it helps ...
    Last edited by Redski69; 17-05-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,853 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 17th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 17th May 17, 11:43 AM
    In the context of your scenario, because you've kicked off your 2017 / 18 S&S ISA with HSBC you have a couple of choices :

1) Open a Cash ISA elsewhere & continue the S&S ISA with HSBC
    2) Open a new S&S ISA with another provider and re-register your existing holdings across to it (don't Cash Transfer!)
    Originally posted by Redski69
    option 2 - they may not let you transfer the holdings across. In this scenario I had to 'sell up' within my Aviva S&S ISA then it was transferred to a new S&S ISA with Halifax as cash and I bought new shares with the cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

7,563Users online

Martin's Twitter