Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 15th May 17, 3:22 PM
    • 425Posts
    • 402Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Zoopla estimates
    • 15th May 17, 3:22 PM
    Zoopla estimates 15th May 17 at 3:22 PM
    I bought my house for £135K 18 months ago, and it had been on the market for £145K.

When I checked the Zoopla valuation estimate last month it stood at £181K (admittedly, I was rather sceptical) and a quick check this morning says £154K. What is going on?

I know the market fluctuates but given that the last time I re-mortgaged, the valuation just so happened to be exactly what Zoopla estimated, shouldn't they be a bit more stable in their "guess"?
Page 2
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 17th May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Normally when remortgaging the applicant is asked by the lender for an estimate of the value of the property.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    I have always been asked for an estimate of what it's worth but they've never taken any notice.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 2:29 PM
    • 7,886 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    teddysmum
    One in our section of the estate a house sold for £105000, last year, needing a quick sale and badly in need of new windows, kitchen, bathroom and drive.

A developer is doing it up ,but it's nowhere near finished and the price has jumped to £150000, with the only obvious outside work being one new window , front door and a garage door. The drive is still a mess.

However, one a few doors away, same design and nicely presented, is only estimated at £140000. (None are actually for sale).

Other houses, which have sold recently are of a different larger design, so probably have upwardly influenced these way out estimates, as have sought after bungalows.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 17th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 36,987 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I would think the accuracy of the Zoopla estimate can vary greatly based on how many similar local houses have been sold and how recently?

A neighbour of ours sold their house last year and before putting it on the market had done some online research and were convinced they'd be looking at £450k or more (for example, the Zoopla estimate was £480k). They were rather disappointed when the estate agents were coming back with suggestions of £370-380k, so they put it up for sale at £385k, but it sold 6 months later for £370k. The zoopla estimate is now £378k (same for all houses in our road), so presumably far more accurate (for their house at least, some of the others have differences so will be worth more or less accordingly). The reason it was so far out before, was probably because it was the first house in our road to be sold in nearly 20 years! We're on a housing estate, but many of the adjacent road houses, that have been sold in last few years, are either terrace or semi detached (our road is all detached) and they are mostly on a through road, not a quiet cul-de-sac that we are.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 17th May 17, 4:11 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    You seem to be saying Zoopla is always under selling price. Overvalued my last house by £150k-ish. I've found it to be way out. Maybe because of the very different housing stock and desirability of one road compared to a very nearby road. Who knows. Obviously it's different for everyone, I'm only speaking for me. Some sellers are delusional, yes. But many houses have sold near me for way over their Zoopla valuations (over £100k difference with some).
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    No I'm not saying Zoopla is always under market value, just saying it's usually within 10-20% above or below market value... unlike most vendors (in my area at least) who seem to put their properties on for 40-50% (or even more) above market value based on other recent comparable sales.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 25th May 17, 12:31 AM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Shows how far mine was out. It's just been upped by tens of thousands to within £20k of our asking price. So yes, now it is well within 10% of its value.

So to those saying it's reliable (even to within a certain extent) how is someone meant to know when it's priced in that bracket? Like I said, mine was over £100k out not very long ago. They've bumped at least £70-80k on top recently. IMO it makes it utterly unreliable.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 25th May 17, 7:45 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Individual property valuations on zoopla can sometimes be miles off but they do seem to be improving. I generally use the area stats for a postcode e.g. HU12 and use that as a multiplier, so if the property sold for 100K 12 months ago and the last 12 months data for that area is +1% then the current value is £101,000. It still isn't an accurate measure though because who's to say the last person who bought that property didn't under or over pay by 5%? The only valuation that matters is the one on the survey. Everything else is a bit of a guessing game!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

7,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin