Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 19th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 77Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Debt Free by December 2017
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    Debt Free by December 2017 19th Apr 17 at 1:08 PM
    I have been lurking on here for a while and decided to start my own debt free diary! We had to buy a new car last year and along with various other circumstances (broken boiler, sick cat, bathroom with tiles falling off and broken shower), we are currently repaying our debt.

The amount stands at £6750.02 and I would like this paid off by December 2017 as we will be saving for a wedding from January 2018 (it is taking all the willpower I have to not start buying wedding things!)

Have seen that lots of people on here are really supportive so would appreciate it as I work towards a DFD.

Current debt:
    £4100 to parents - interest free
    £2650.02 credit card - interest free
Page 2
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 5th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Studying was slightly less productive than I hoped but felt like I caught up on lots of things . Reviewing the credit card, I have paid off more than I realised so current debt stands at £5915.52!

Bought a lawnmower from savings on Saturday, our garden of late seems to have been growing quicker than we can keep up with it, so definitely much needed. Still have enough in savings for car insurance though .

£35.14 to last us until payday (16th), which should be doable as we have most of this weeks food plus some extra bits, and the car is still well fuelled.

Reduced wage this time though, hopefully afterwards we can get down to some serious debt busting !
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 10th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Been another busy week, think that will be the pattern from now until my birthday in August... Feel like I'm getting into a bit of a rhythm though rather than just chasing my tail which is nice, and trying to keep on top of my Uni work which seems to be working so far.

£4.85 to last us until payday on Friday, might need to dip into savings slightly, although next month should be slightly less spendy . Hoping to keep enough aside for car insurance in September which should be £400.

New lawnmower definitely worth it as garden is looking presentable again. At some point we would like a nice patio, but I think the wedding will come first. One step at a time .
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    One step at a time indeed
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 4th Jul 17, 8:26 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Not posted in far too long, with placement, life has taken a turn for the extra busy. Only two weeks left now though and I can't wait to finish! It has been lovely but trying to condense my regular job of 35 hours into 18 hours has been a real challenge!

Debt now at £5,515.52, and H2B has taken on 10 hours overtime this week at time and a half so that's more pennies in the kitty, plus waiting on around £100 cash back and did the TSB bank switch which should be another £130.

Might be paying off some extra debt after all .
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 4th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Also paid off more than £1000 since starting in April, so not bad in just over 2 months.

Am enjoying using this diary too see how far we have come rather than always focusing on the day to day stuff
    • datlex
    • By datlex 4th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    datlex
    Good luck with your endeavours. I paid off the last of my debt in December so I know how great it feels to end the year totally debt free and start the New Year with a new slate. One thing I have found helpful is to put aside now what I did pay for my final debt. It is building up nicely.
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 16th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Thank you , we will hopefully be putting some money towards the wedding and some money in a Lifetime ISA (as I own the house but H2B doesn't) towards something bigger in the future. Our house is perfect for the two of us plus a cat now, but we might need something bigger were we to have extra family members .

Worked 43 hours this week! Although I get TOIL rather than actual paid overtime, hoping for two weeks off at the end of August as right now I could sleep for England!

H2B had good news this week in that he is getting a payrise (yay!) which will also help with debt busting and I've applied for two market research things on P0d3ng0 which might be another £280, if I get accepted. Still waiting on £105 cash back and have £7.26 courtesy of APG this week.

5 weeks until I can rest !
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 30th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Not accepted by P0d3ng0, ah well, can always try another time! Still waiting on cashback and used my APG, meaning our shopping this week was only £10.33 including cat food!

This week will hopefully be a low spend week as we are busy and planning to live out of the freezer, fish tomorrow and meatballs and pasta on Tuesday. Will hopefully shop for some more bits on Tuesday.

Done 52.5 hours at work this week so that's another 12.5 to add to the TOIL , really need to get some Uni work done but there's no point when I'm this shattered. Not at all productive... H2B has banned me from thinking about work for the day, although back to it at 8.45am tomorrow.

Three weeks to rest
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 30th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Three weeks until I can rest
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 12th Aug 17, 11:39 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Out the other side of a manic 2 weeks and 4 days at work! Had/having yesterday and today off - aside from going to see my Line Manager about my assignment, which was really useful because he helped me break it down and reassured me that I don't need to panic and that it's totally doable by Friday.

Having a lazy day today (might include some cake!) and then commence the assignment writing tomorrow. My motivation is that this time next week it will be handed in and I will be at a spa .

Debt total currently stands at £5,115.52. Going to see what the car insurance is in September and take it from there. Debt will definitely be under £5k by the end of this month though!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Aug 17, 12:24 PM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Well done

Have a lovely weekend x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 26th Aug 17, 9:59 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Thank you Hiddenidentity!

Spent last Saturday at the spa and then went out for food and drinks. So much needed and lovely catch up with friends!

Assignment was handed in (finally) and have had a full week off now . Assignment returned by Wednesday and then I will be a 2nd Year PGDip/MA student!

Spending next weekend in the spa too, as part of my birthday present from H2B - birthday was on Wednesday (23rd).

Arranged car insurance on Thursday, got it down to £573, after some quotes were coming out at £800+! We have the money available so all is good.

Current debt at £4690.52, finally feel like we are getting somewhere! Might not be paid off by the end of the year but it's starting to feel like the end is in sight .
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 9th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Debt gone up slightly to £4984.12, we decided to book a trip to London as H2B's brother is currently living there and a friend of mine is living there. We are headed down in November, although wanted to take advantage of cheap v1rg1n tickets, we both got return to London for £38!

Took some money out of the emergency fund due to a broken tyre, the worlds tiniest nail cost us £60! Took it to local mechanic rather than dealer as would much rather the pennies were in his pocket.

Full steam ahead for car insurance which will come out on the 26th, think we will have the perfect amount in our pot, as T0pC45hb4ck finally paid out after 18 months (and some nagging on my part!)

Past the first year of my PGDip with flying colours and after 2 weeks off, I'm now itching to be studying again! Looking forward to the next 2 modules as there are no more placements (yay!).

Feeling positive about work, study and working towards being debt free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,083Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin