Replacement glass front door

Hi guys,

21 x 19" glass in upper ordinary wooden door is cracked. Is frosted etc.

Any ideas how much it should cost to replace on a call out. Or is it DIY-able?

Thanks!

S

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    single or double glazed? DG sealed unit about £20
  • Supernova
    Supernova Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2017 at 2:34PM
    single or double glazed? DG sealed unit about £20

OK thanks.

s147pg.jpg

Quotes seem to be about £200 fitted. I'm told it's a non-standard size so would need to be ordered for 5 days after precise measurement. or done by emergency glazier.

Is there an easy DIY solution?

Cheers
    S
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it is a single pane of glass and you have a Glass shop supplier near you then take the measurements to them, they will cut to any size you require.
    Then {if there is wooden beading holding the cracked pane in just ease that off, clean around the area, insert new pane then {CAREFULLY} pin the beading back into place {Job done}
    If the pane has putty holding it in just remove the putty, clean up the frame, inset new glass then putty it.
    IMO any basic d.iy.er should be able to do a job like that in 30 mins {check on you tube for instructions}:0)
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Supernova wrote: »
    Quotes seem to be about £200 fitted. I'm told it's a non-standard size so would need to be ordered for 5 days after precise measurement. or done by emergency glazier.

Is there an easy DIY solution?

Cheers
    S
    Who did you ask to quote? £200 for a simple replacement piece of single glazing sounds very high to me. The idea that it's "non-standard size" seems bizarre. I wouldn't expect a glass merchant to have stocks of pieces of glass already cut to size, I'd expect them to cut it as required.

I'd get more quotes if I were you. Look for traditional glaziers not window or double glazing installers. If there's a place locally that offers a glass cutting service, ask there.
  • Supernova
    London50 wrote: »
    If it is a single pane of glass and you have a Glass shop supplier near you then take the measurements to them, they will cut to any size you require.
    Then {if there is wooden beading holding the cracked pane in just ease that off, clean around the area, insert new pane then {CAREFULLY} pin the beading back into place {Job done}
    If the pane has putty holding it in just remove the putty, clean up the frame, inset new glass then putty it.
    IMO any basic d.iy.er should be able to do a job like that in 30 mins {check on you tube for instructions}:0)

OK thanks will consider that. Hopefully I will get the measurements right.
  • Supernova
    casper_g wrote: »
    Who did you ask to quote? £200 for a simple replacement piece of single glazing sounds very high to me. The idea that it's "non-standard size" seems bizarre. I wouldn't expect a glass merchant to have stocks of pieces of glass already cut to size, I'd expect them to cut it as required.

I'd get more quotes if I were you. Look for traditional glaziers not window or double glazing installers. If there's a place locally that offers a glass cutting service, ask there.

Asked a 24 hour emergency glazier and a local glass shop (yes, they are window installers). The inside frame seems to be 553 x 497 m, so hopefully a few mm shorter will be accurate.

Just been quoted £31.66 for 6mm toughened glass plus 20% if opaque. Not sure if mine is 6mm. Needs to be sent away for 3-4 days to be toughened apparently.

Do I need toughened glass by law?

S
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Probably cheaper to buy a new door.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Supernova
    edited 17 March 2017 at 5:32PM
    McKneff wrote: »
    Probably cheaper to buy a new door.

Yes, that thought did occur to me briefly earlier... :-) I assume it's easy just to slot a new one in and then needs painting fairly pronto?

Another time vs money conundrum.

S
  • Supernova
    Actually, just had another quote for about £140 fitted on Monday...

I'm in that there London btw ;-)
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Supernova wrote: »
    Actually, just had another quote for about £140 fitted on Monday...

I'm in that there London btw ;-)

That's sounds a bit more reasonable. If the glass is £32 as you said above, then that covers £100 for labour and a few quid for sundries like putty etc. If they came out to measure and quote then I suppose that's not bad for that London.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure