Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 657Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Supernova
    Replacement glass front door
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    Replacement glass front door 17th Mar 17 at 10:36 AM
    Hi guys,

21 x 19" glass in upper ordinary wooden door is cracked. Is frosted etc.

Any ideas how much it should cost to replace on a call out. Or is it DIY-able?

Thanks!

S
Page 1
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 17th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 1,859 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    single or double glazed? DG sealed unit about £20
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    single or double glazed? DG sealed unit about £20
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    OK thanks.

Quotes seem to be about £200 fitted. I'm told it's a non-standard size so would need to be ordered for 5 days after precise measurement. or done by emergency glazier.

Is there an easy DIY solution?

Cheers
    S
    Last edited by Supernova; 17-03-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    • London50
    • By London50 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    London50
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    If it is a single pane of glass and you have a Glass shop supplier near you then take the measurements to them, they will cut to any size you require.
    Then {if there is wooden beading holding the cracked pane in just ease that off, clean around the area, insert new pane then {CAREFULLY} pin the beading back into place {Job done}
    If the pane has putty holding it in just remove the putty, clean up the frame, inset new glass then putty it.
    IMO any basic d.iy.er should be able to do a job like that in 30 mins {check on you tube for instructions}:0)
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 17th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 1:34 PM
    Quotes seem to be about £200 fitted. I'm told it's a non-standard size so would need to be ordered for 5 days after precise measurement. or done by emergency glazier.

Is there an easy DIY solution?

Cheers
    S
    Originally posted by Supernova
    Who did you ask to quote? £200 for a simple replacement piece of single glazing sounds very high to me. The idea that it's "non-standard size" seems bizarre. I wouldn't expect a glass merchant to have stocks of pieces of glass already cut to size, I'd expect them to cut it as required.

I'd get more quotes if I were you. Look for traditional glaziers not window or double glazing installers. If there's a place locally that offers a glass cutting service, ask there.
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    If it is a single pane of glass and you have a Glass shop supplier near you then take the measurements to them, they will cut to any size you require.
    Then {if there is wooden beading holding the cracked pane in just ease that off, clean around the area, insert new pane then {CAREFULLY} pin the beading back into place {Job done}
    If the pane has putty holding it in just remove the putty, clean up the frame, inset new glass then putty it.
    IMO any basic d.iy.er should be able to do a job like that in 30 mins {check on you tube for instructions}:0)
    Originally posted by London50
    OK thanks will consider that. Hopefully I will get the measurements right.
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    Who did you ask to quote? £200 for a simple replacement piece of single glazing sounds very high to me. The idea that it's "non-standard size" seems bizarre. I wouldn't expect a glass merchant to have stocks of pieces of glass already cut to size, I'd expect them to cut it as required.

I'd get more quotes if I were you. Look for traditional glaziers not window or double glazing installers. If there's a place locally that offers a glass cutting service, ask there.
    Originally posted by casper_g
    Asked a 24 hour emergency glazier and a local glass shop (yes, they are window installers). The inside frame seems to be 553 x 497 m, so hopefully a few mm shorter will be accurate.

Just been quoted £31.66 for 6mm toughened glass plus 20% if opaque. Not sure if mine is 6mm. Needs to be sent away for 3-4 days to be toughened apparently.

Do I need toughened glass by law?

S
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 35,178 Posts
    • 45,310 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    Probably cheaper to buy a new door.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    Probably cheaper to buy a new door.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Yes, that thought did occur to me briefly earlier... :-) I assume it's easy just to slot a new one in and then needs painting fairly pronto?

Another time vs money conundrum.

S
    Last edited by Supernova; 17-03-2017 at 3:32 PM.
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    Actually, just had another quote for about £140 fitted on Monday...

I'm in that there London btw ;-)
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 17th Mar 17, 6:12 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    casper_g
    Actually, just had another quote for about £140 fitted on Monday...

I'm in that there London btw ;-)
    That's sounds a bit more reasonable. If the glass is £32 as you said above, then that covers £100 for labour and a few quid for sundries like putty etc. If they came out to measure and quote then I suppose that's not bad for that London.
    • ic
    • By ic 17th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    ic
    Do I need toughened glass by law?
    When buying a new door yes certainly - all doors come with toughened glass, as will any windows in close proximity. You must not consider anything else in a door - it'd be too easy for it to break for example if the door slams, somebody pushes against the glass with their hand, or perhaps knocks it as coming through the door with things.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 17th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Supernova
    When buying a new door yes certainly - all doors come with toughened glass, as will any windows in close proximity. You must not consider anything else in a door - it'd be too easy for it to break for example if the door slams, somebody pushes against the glass with their hand, or perhaps knocks it as coming through the door with things.
    Originally posted by ic
    OK thanks!

S
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,510Users online

Martin's Twitter