Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vodkalass75
    • By Vodkalass75 13th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Vodkalass75
    Built in cooker just gone bang
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    Built in cooker just gone bang 13th Mar 17 at 5:22 PM
    Hiya,

I live in a private rented house, went to put the oven on for kids tea & it tripped the main switch. Have put it back on but oven not working.

Have phoned letting agent & as usual I am still waiting for them to get back. Knowing what they are like if I am lucky they might phone back tomorrow.

My autistic son is very particular about what he eats (he lives off oven chips waffles everything that goes in the oven) Just wondered if this goes on for a particular time & I need to buy takeout chips or micro meals for the older 2 can I be reimbursed?

Thanks
Page 1
    • MyOnlyPost
    • By MyOnlyPost 13th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    MyOnlyPost
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    When the power at home goes off my oven doesn't work until I reset the time, just a thought.
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
    • Vodkalass75
    • By Vodkalass75 13th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Vodkalass75
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    When the power at home goes off my oven doesn't work until I reset the time, just a thought.
    Originally posted by MyOnlyPost
    The fan still works it's just not heating up
    • MyOnlyPost
    • By MyOnlyPost 13th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    MyOnlyPost
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    I think mine does the same, I have no idea why it won' work until clock is set (doesn't have to be the correct time, just not flashing 12:00)
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 6,881 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    Mine is the exact same also.
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 13th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    That sounds like the heating element has gone. Easy fix for a local handyman or sparkie. We've had it happen several times in various houses - when it goes it will trip the switch and when you turn the oven back on it won't heat up. Costs about £50-£70 including the part. If you're worried about the letting agent taking ages, suggest you just get someone in to fix it given your son's needs.
    Last edited by Lavendyr; 13-03-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    Reimbursed by who? No one could predict that your oven was going to stop working. The landlord isn't responsible for the diets of your children.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 13-03-2017 at 7:02 PM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,819 Posts
    • 4,459 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    I think mine does the same, I have no idea why it won' work until clock is set (doesn't have to be the correct time, just not flashing 12:00)
    Originally posted by MyOnlyPost
    (Going off topic)

I assume it's a safety feature. If there's a power cut whilst the oven is on, and you forget to turn off the controls - the oven won't just switch back on in the middle of the night when the power is restored.

Instead, it needs manual intervention before it will come on again.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 40,124 Posts
    • 45,833 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    So there are 2 possibilities:

1) it's a feature (eg safety) of the oven. Do you have the manual? If not, most manuals are available online if you google the make/model. Read up and see if it needs re-setting.

2) the heating element has gone. Follow up your phone call with a letter to the landlord addressed properly (see your tenancy agreement) and copied to the agent.

I would not arrange to have it fixed yourself, especially as you've now alerted the agent to the problem. You could become liable for any future problems.

No - you cannot claim compensation for take-out chips etc. I assume you have a hob and/or microwave, so you are not without cooking facilities. Your children's food preferences are not the LL's responsibilty.

View this as a time to pursuade the kids to eat a healthier diet?
    • GoldenShadow
    • By GoldenShadow 13th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    GoldenShadow
    You can toast potato waffles if you get desperate. Handy tip I learnt in my student days
    Mortgage in 2015: £189,229.51 £188,835.58 £188,460.14 £188,083.21 £188,857.06 £187,286.99
    £186,887.30 £186,505.39 ££186,103.10 £185,718.70
    £185,185.73
    Mortgage Free: October 2040
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 13th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Reckon she wants the money for vodka
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    You can pay for the micro chips with the money not being spent on oven chips...
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Mar 17, 10:33 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 46,646 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Ours also has a safety feature that you have to reset the clock in order for the oven to work after power has been cut.

Does your microwave have a grill feature you could use if it is the element? Or could you ask a neighbour if things get really desperate. Good idea about waffles in the toaster too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 17, 10:37 PM
    • 59,197 Posts
    • 345,553 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If the hob is still working, oven chips can be cooked in a frying pan.

Son needs to learn that you can't always have the food you like, the way you like it - and will have to eat things either differently, or not at all and choose something achievable.

When you're on the spectrum you have to spend your life working round problems and issues - set this one as the challenge of the week to solve... "what to eat instead of ..."
    • Vodkalass75
    • By Vodkalass75 14th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Vodkalass75
    If the hob is still working, oven chips can be cooked in a frying pan.

Son needs to learn that you can't always have the food you like, the way you like it - and will have to eat things either differently, or not at all and choose something achievable.

When you're on the spectrum you have to spend your life working round problems and issues - set this one as the challenge of the week to solve... "what to eat instead of ..."
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    If you knew where abouts my son is on the spectrum you would know that doesn't work. He has had an issue with food since he was small, I have learnt over the years that he would go hungry for days, anything that passes his lips that he doesn't like he will throw up. He is underweight as it is we have had dieticians working with us & never got anywhere. His take on food is so complex that the meltdowns & anxieties around food are unbearable. He is 15 so I have spent years on this
    Reckon she wants the money for vodka
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes

You can toast potato waffles if you get desperate. Handy tip I learnt in my student days
    Originally posted by GoldenShadow
    Thanks for that tip

TBH I only wanted to see if I could use that as an incentive to get them moving, they are useless as letting agents, still have a back door to the garage that hasn't been fixed for 6 months, smoke arlarms that don't work. The enviromental health have been involved & she even sweet talked them My tenancy ends in 4 weeks & I can just imagine them stalling because I know the kitchen will be ripped out for a refurb before he sells it. I had reset the clock before I posted on here.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 14th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    If the fan on the oven is still working as you say, it does sound like the element has gone. Not a big job to replace and elements cost £10-20.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 14th Mar 17, 10:10 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 5,024 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    If you have the space and can afford £30-40, you could invest in a mini oven as a backup - we have one which we regualrly use to cook small items as it heats up more quickly than the main oven and is more efficient.

Our local LIDL had one this week for (I think) £29.99 - this is the sort of thing I'm talking about
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2417880
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 14th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    Bogalot
    If you have the space and can afford £30-40, you could invest in a mini oven as a backup - we have one which we regualrly use to cook small items as it heats up more quickly than the main oven and is more efficient.

Our local LIDL had one this week for (I think) £29.99 - this is the sort of thing I'm talking about
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2417880
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Plus OP can take it with them as a back up for future issues. Winning idea

(Although I'm going to test the potato waffles in the toaster!)
    • steeeb
    • By steeeb 14th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    steeeb
    I bought a replacement heating element for like £5 off eBay when this same thing happened to me (I think it was the heating element breaking which tripped the electrics).

Google search how to replace it.

For mine, it involved turning off the electric. Undoing 2 screws keeping the oven in the unit, putting a workbench in front of it, pulling oven out (get someone to help). Undoing 2 screws, pulling off back panel. Undoing another screw, unplugging heating element, plugging new one in, doing screws again.

Turned electric to oven back on to test it worked. It did. Put oven back in unit last few screws.

Took 10-15 minutes, being cautious.

If you've got a local appliance shop that do repairs you'll likely find someone for 50-70 to do it for you.

The fan ended up going 5-6 months later. Again, the part was like £10 off ebay but it was a bigger job to replace as getting the fan off in the first place was a bit of a PITA. Again, I managed it easily though and saved £££s.

Some elements can even be changed by just undoing the internal panel covering it - if so it's a 2 minute job - no need to get the oven out and take the back panel off.
    Last edited by steeeb; 14-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 14th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 4,646 Posts
    • 6,565 Thanks
    deannatrois
    With two autistic sons who would rather not eat than eat what they aren't into at the time, I totally sympathise. Remember the problems well.

I have a 10 year old and a 20 year old, both diagnosed. The 20 year old will now eat normally and almost anything although will still suddenly decide something is off the acceptable list.

My younger son is very restricted as to what he will eat.., and will go hungry willingly if its not something on his list.

I still remember the days when older son was 8, and wouldn't eat anything but shop bought sandwiches.., even if I packaged up sandwiches, they wouldn't do. Was on income support (took nearly a year to get DLA) so was my daily nightmare affording them. I lived on toast, literally.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 14-03-2017 at 3:11 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,984Posts Today

9,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin