Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 12th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 126Posts
    • 585Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Squirrelgirls MF quest
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    Squirrelgirls MF quest 12th Mar 17 at 3:44 PM
    I am venturing into the MF Wannabe world!!

I have recently come to the end of my mortgage deal and have got a new one which runs to the 31st March 2019. My plan is to clear my mortgage on 1st April 2019

I have an offset mortgage, so I can spend between now and then either paying off the capital or putting the extras into the offset savings - knowing me, it will probably be a combo of both as I really like seeing the figure I owe drop (it's a psychological thing!! ) until I get close to the end, then it will have to go into the savings so that I don't accidently pay it of too soon and end up with early repayment charges

My mortgage is actually due to finish in 2024 - and although I have paid a considerable sum off over the past 5 years or so, I haven't made any op's for about 2 years as I took a break from work. I have several things that I need to sort financially between now and the end of November, so my bigger op's won't start till then, but I am going to make every effort to put at least £50 extra per month towards it until then.

My ability to save money on food and household products is limited as I don't use supermarkets and buy everything as ethically as possible - this means that I am going to have to be creative and stretch what I have as far as possible I do have a massive stockpile of dried goods and a freezer full of stuff so I am going to be able to minimise my spends over the next month or so.

I will go over my 'bills' budget too and see where I can make savings - I currently overestimate everything bill wise and can probably reduce the amount we put in by at least £10 - once I have checked out what is in there, I will tilly-tidy the surplus and make a start!

I am reasonably confident that I will be getting a very small pay rise in April and hopeful that dh will too, so am intending to put that towards the mortgage - we have a persie amount each which is adequate for now so I'm happy to utilise any increases we have for op's.

Right, off to check out the bill account and see what I can do!
    MFW £3510.00/£22968.96: October GC £30/£300
Page 2
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 18th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I've been a bit stupid financially over the past week or so but I'm back on the wagon today!!

I went a bit loopy on dd's birthday and ended up spending a great deal more than I intended but I have paid cash for it all - it means that I won't have as much to put to the overpayment but that's the only thing that will be affected. If I'm honest, I'm slightly annoyed with myself but it was spent on others and we had a really lovely day so I'm not bathed in shame!!

Other than that, I have been reasonably good - not as good as I could have been but I've been crazy busy (hence not being on the boards much recently) and other than the birthday, I've pretty much spent nothing other than my necessary fuel top ups for the car and some snacks (which I shouldn't have bought )

I am going to be able to op around £200 at the end of the week...I haven't looked at my mortgage balance since I was last on here - I think that I will check it at the weekend and set myself a little mini-target to the end of the year. I know that I have to have some cash for solstice - we have decided on a 'slush fund' which we will put into each month and things like birthdays, solstice, family stays etc will come out of that. We are going to keep it in the offset so that it helps with our ops though! we also have a few social engagements over the next few months which we will need additional cash for as they will require overnight stays so this will hopefully cover the bulk of those too. The additional food and drink costs will be met by our persie cash though - I'm not going to use other funds for that!

I have to go away fairly soon for work - it will mean an initial outlay but I will get the majority of it back - I have decided that I am going to put 20% of any expenses I get into the op's from next month. The petrol allowance I get covers most of the car expenses I have and as I use cash for everything, the money is put aside, petrol bought and expense forgotten about. Saving 20% of what I get later won't seem like a hardship

Right, I'd better go and get a jumper on....it's getting chilly with the wind picking up but I'm avoiding putting the heating on for now
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 23rd Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Morning fellow MFW's

£300 to the mortgage today! £200 off the balance and £100 to the offset I have to see the balance coming down...I know that it's not necessarily financially the best option but it is as far as keeping myself motivated goes

We have a gig to go to which we intended to stay over for, but we have decided that as it is within a reasonable travelling distance, we are going to come home afterwards...it's a very mature decision and it's starting to scare me!!

I have a been let down as far as one of the items I had ordered for the living room so I have also made the decision to go for the much cheaper option for the time being and once the mortgage is paid I will get the bespoke one made - that will hopefully free up an additional £500 + to put to the mortgage I am going to have a really frugal October wherever possible - this month didn't go to the original plan but I'm set up ready for October - I know exactly how much I have to spend and I'm sticking strictly to my budgets....no excuses this time - I have nothing that I cannot live without for a month and I will have fulfilled most of my social engagements by then. I want to be able to pay a chunk off as I'll need slush fund money for solstice

Right, I'm off to read the boards.....have a fab weekend!!
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 4th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Oops!! went out yesterday with dd and dgs - ended up buying toys and clothes!! Oh well, that's what grandbabies are there for I suppose...it just means that I'll have to be really good for the rest of the month!!

I've cooked food for tonight purely from stocks - I spent £15 on nuts yesterday to make my 'goats' cheese but there is enough there to last me the next 6 - 8 weeks so not a massive expense really. I think that I will be able to eat from stores for the rest of the month but we will see how it all goes....I am still hoping to be able to put some additional cash to the mortgage later in the month but will it will definitely be less than originally intended!!
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 15th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Okay, the front room is practically done!1

The curtains and pole have arrived, the radiator cover is on order and I have finally made a decision (a temporary solution) on the fireguard. I have spent pretty much all that I need to now on this so it's a case of being able to start on the mortgage. I'm pretty happy about this but then the old spanner gets thrown in the works when the decision is made that it wouldn't take a lot to get the bathroom done and it would make a huge difference to the house.

The decision has not yet been made - in all honesty, I could do it with the cash that I have from October and a bit of Novembers - it would make a huge difference and it already is the next thing on the list but I was so close to starting to make a difference to the mortgage, I can't decide on the best way forward!

So, that's currently where I am....things are going according to plan pretty much, I just need to make this decision!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin