Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katsopdon
    • By katsopdon 11th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    katsopdon
    Can't rend even with 00000s!
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    Can't rend even with 00000s! 11th Mar 17 at 1:26 PM
    Hi all,
    I need some sensible advice.

I split with ex-H in 2016 and he has now sold the house (his house in his name only) which completes 31 March.

I do not work, though I am looking to return to work (as a solicitor) within the next few months. I have 2 children aged 2 + 7.

I have enough from the equity to pay a year's rent upfront along with deposit. No pets. I would have enough left over to cover bills and rent for another year.

I don't have any landlord references as I've always owned.

I currently receive £800 child maintenance (private arrangement) as well as the usual benefits like income support.

I have looked at and applied for several rental properties but they have always chosen a different applicant who works.

I have offered a year upfront and to pay the next year before the first has run out, but still no luck. I'm getting asked for an income other than savings, benefits or child support to prove I can continue paying rent and bills which seems unfair as I can show a bank statement with thousands in but they won't accept it as income! I'm getting asked how I will pay the rent after the first 12 months and I've said I would pay the next year upfront and early, but still not good enough!

At a push I could get a guarantor but it's only possible, not likely he will agree. The only other person would be ex-H, who refuses to as he doesn't want to link us financially again and doesn't earn enough for 30x the rent.

Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Page 2
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 13th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 5,321 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    OP, renting direct from a landlord rather than via an agency may be a better option for you. Agenciess will tend to have more rigid policies, and be less able / willing to be flexible.

You'll be in a much stronger position once you are back at work - do you have any family yo could stay with short term, so that you apply for jobs fits and then properties (this might also give you more flexibility in job hunting, as you can then look to rent close to where you are working)
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 13,083 Posts
    • 12,626 Thanks
    Guest101
    My rent for 12 months is £7700 - Your rent is £641.66 a month? that's very precise, and also in may places not likely to get something for adult and 2 children , she could have less than £16k and be able to pay upfront for a year easily - yes I agree, she could. but the title suggested she had more. And £16,000 isn't a lot from equity in a house if the ex-h is paying £800 a month for 2 kids. . I assume she'll also be using the child maintenance as savings to build the funds back up as if she were paying rent each month. - Well I'd like to think not, as that money is for the children's day to day expenses. Sure some of that is rent, but there's also utilities, food, clothing etc.

OP have you looked at gumtree or local facebook pages to see if you can find a private landlord?
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly

I'd suggest contacting the agencies and explaining the situation. Without being funny millions of single parents rent homes without work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,048Users online

Martin's Twitter