TV Licensing maths

A friend of mine showed me a letter that he had opened. It was from the TV Licensing people. The usual scaremongering tactics from them. What amused me was the maths they used.

We visited 10,101 homes a day last year.

Enforcement Officers were in all parts of the country, including [postcode]. They knock on a door every 5 seconds, week days [sic], in the evenings and weekends.

By any conceivable calculation, the claim of knocking on a door every 5 seconds doesn't stack up at all. They must be knocking on the same door close to 100 times per visit! Pure scaremongering. They also threatened a visit on a specific day, and according to my friend (who was not necessarily the addressee) that visit never happened.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    leitmotif wrote: »
    By any conceivable calculation, the claim of knocking on a door every 5 seconds doesn't stack up at all.

Seems quite straight forward to me. 86400 seconds in a day, 10101 properties visited = 1 every 8 seconds or so. If they are only including their working hours then 5 seconds won't be that far out assuming that 10000 number is actually correct though.

They must be knocking on the same door close to 100 times per visit!

Not quite sure what this bit means or how you worked that out to be honest!

They also threatened a visit on a specific day, and according to my friend (who was not necessarily the addressee) that visit never happened.

Much cheaper to send a letter in the hope you get a license than send someone round.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 March 2017 at 10:08AM
    Their working day is something like 8am-9pm, so 13 hours per day.

Therefore 12.95 attempted visits per minute, which is pretty much spot-on for every 5 seconds.

However, in common with similar operations, they have a less than 20% access rate, which would be c. 1,900 contacts with householders per day for the entire country, which doesn't sound quite so impressive.

Breaking it down to, say, 650 Parliamentary constituencies, that's just less than 3 per day.

Isn't maths great :)
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Capita have trouble with their maths........
    Nothing unusual there from the lying scum then........
  • tvlb1
    tvlb1 Posts: 9 Forumite
    What they don't mention is that of the 10,101 visits they claim to make each day, they only get a "result" at about 1-in-10 of those. By result, I mean they are able to take a valid prosecution statement under caution.

Capita TV Licensing refers to this value as the "strike rate".
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Their working day is something like 8am-9pm, so 13 hours per day.

They'll be lucky if I opened my door at either 8am or 9pm!

After the letter the other day with the extra window: 'Will you be in on the xth March' I waited with bated breath for the visit but was disappointed.

So what was the purpose of this little window on the front of the envelope for all including the postie, to see? Trying to worry people, are they? They'll be telling me I'm a winner in a prize draw next!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Winner Winner... TV Dinner.

The idea of the envelope is to highlight that date, even though it's meaningless and, yes, almost certainly to embarrass people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure