LED strip discolouration

I recently installed a considerable amount of LED strip into lighting recesses around a bedroom but just a few weeks on it started to discolour badly. It was a warm white colour but sections of it began to go very yellow, usually a group of 3 individual LEDs together, and it was noticeably worse at the beginning of each strip where the power was connected, with 2 or 3 groups of LED all glowing yellow.

I did a little research and it seems that the silicone plastic coating that makes it waterproof is prone to discolouration, but this is not what has happened in this instance - I stripped it all out and found that the individual LEDs that were glowing yellow had developed a brown tiny dot in the middle.

I have now replaced it all with non-waterproof, bare LED-type but I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else and if a cause was identified as I am now hoping it doesn't happen again. I'm hoping it was just a dodgy batch of LED strip.

Comments

• martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    paulpud wrote: »
    I have now replaced it all with non-waterproof, bare LED-type but I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else and if a cause was identified as I am now hoping it doesn't happen again. I'm hoping it was just a dodgy batch of LED strip.

Dodgy LEDs

LEDs need some way to get rid of heat.

Cheaper waterproof just cover everything in silicon, which is a warm blanket for electronics.

the diodes are burning out.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martin is right. These cheaper strips look great at first and indistinguishable from higher quality strips, but they don't last and it is mostly due to the heat issues Martin has mentioned.

I have an RGB one, and after not too much use a lot of the diodes have started to degrade. The blue sections are first to go, followed by the green. The reds always outlive the rest.
  • marc81
    marc81 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Off the back of this, can anyone recommend good LED strip lights? I fancy putting some around the inner door frame of my little girls walk in wardrobe... maybe coloured ones she'd love that. I reckon 5m will go around the whole frame. Need ones that can just be plugged in to the mains ideally.
  • martinsurrey
    marc81 wrote: »
    Off the back of this, can anyone recommend good LED strip lights? I fancy putting some around the inner door frame of my little girls walk in wardrobe... maybe coloured ones she'd love that. I reckon 5m will go around the whole frame. Need ones that can just be plugged in to the mains ideally.

not bad start

Assuming you don't want to do any soldering yourself, the above would work, plug and play, being non waterproof they should get enough ventilation to not burn out.

LED hut has been around for a while as well, so any problems and they should sort it out.
  • paulpud
    paulpud Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have it in other areas of the house where it's been installed for years and used a lot without a problem, but I did think this later strip was of a poorer quality and the actual tape that the LEDs were mounted on was noticeably thinner and a swine to solder to. Hopefully the bare LED strip will fare better.
  • ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    With LED's you get what you pay for. The best LED strips in the business cost around £400 for a 5m roll. If you have got yours for £40 (which is about where a lot of the ebay stuff is), then you can figure out for yourself what it is you have paid for. Sadly anything half decent is going to cost upwards of £125 for a 5m roll.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • martinsurrey
    ryder72 wrote: »
    With LED's you get what you pay for. The best LED strips in the business cost around £400 for a 5m roll. If you have got yours for £40 (which is about where a lot of the ebay stuff is), then you can figure out for yourself what it is you have paid for. Sadly anything half decent is going to cost upwards of £125 for a 5m roll.

if someone put a £125 5m LED around their daughters wardrobe I would have a laugh.

the cheaper ones might not have the best colours and might only last a few years, but its a wardrobe.

I'd rather have 6 £20 rolls and replace them every year (my cheap ones are currently on their 3rd year) than 1 £125 one.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Your prices are way off. Professional ones might be up in the 100's, but cheap 5M ones on eBay can be had for £15 with a controller.

@paulpud So long as you don't go mega cheap they should be fine. Go for the ones martinsurrey suggested. If they fail too soon then LEDHut will likely replace them anyway. :)

@ryder72 Nobody is going to spend £100's on a kids wardrobe, that is nonsense!
  • ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    lstar337 wrote: »
    @ryder72 Nobody is going to spend £100's on a kids wardrobe, that is nonsense!

I appreciate you wont and many cant or wont but there are people who either have too much money and dont care or care about getting quality and are willing to pay for it. You are entitled to your opinion but not to be judgemental
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • martinsurrey
    I appreciate you wont and many cant or wont but there are people who either have too much money and dont care or care about getting quality and are willing to pay for it. You are entitled to your opinion but not to be judgemental

he was about as judgmental as you saying "anything half decent is going to cost upwards of £125 for a 5m roll".

This is a money saving site, OP clearly self fitted a cheap roll, and is not interested in the money no-option branded, bells whistles options.

Scaring them that anything that doesn't cost and arm and a leg is useless, is not helpful, and is in fact wrong.

You can get a £20k TV, that doesn't mean a £500 one isn't half decent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure