Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 6th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Bath cube
    Insurer being awkward about claim
    • 6th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    Insurer being awkward about claim 6th Mar 17 at 8:45 PM
    The circumstances regarding this are quite a long story so I will keep it short and to the point as much as I can. Last june I was assaulted to the extent I received blows to my head and was knocked unconscious. When I cane around I summoned immediate medical attention by way of calling for a ambulance. Due to having been an assault the police were requested to attend with the ambulance staff. I was transfered to hospital and confirmed as having concussion and was kept there until the following afternoon. Whlist I was at hospital my partner returned home and realised I was not home it was late on a weekend night. He noticed my laptop charger was plugged in and my case on the sofa but no laptop there. He went upstairs into our bedroom and noticed our chest of drawers disturbed and two other laptops had gone. Also my small jewelery box was on the floor at the side of my dressing table empty. A neighbour knocked to tell him I had been taken away by ambulance and the police has asked some neighbours had they seen or heard anything
    When he got to the hospital he told me about the missing things and we both concluded the person who assaulted me took them whilst I was unconscious. We reported the theft the following day by phone to the police who had already logged the assault the previous night and they gave us a crime reference number. We then got in touch with our insurers to put forward a claim. Some weeks later the police told us someone had come forward with information regarding the attacker and had taken them in for questioning. Our insurer sent a independent assessor to see us regarding the claim. We have been told our claim wI'll only be paid out if they can retrieve the costs back from the attacker. Is this right.
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 6th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    rs65
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    We have been told our claim wI'll only be paid out if they can retrieve the costs back from the attacker. Is this right.
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    Not usually. If the theft is covered, they should pay whether or not the culprit is found or costs recovered.

Is there some other reason such as a forcible/violent entry clause on the policy? Was this someone known to you who was in the house?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 7th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 5,206 Thanks
    societys child
    • 7th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    As above, it could depend on the circumstances. How did the assailant gain entry?

• FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 7th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    Are you sure they didn't mean that the claim will impact your NCD and premiums, unless they recover their costs?

I don't see why the insurer would pay out, ONLY if the costs could be recovered.

As other have asked;-
    How did they gain entry?
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 7th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 7th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    They may be sending an assessor round to verify the claim circumstances and if the loss you are claiming for seems in keeping with your style of living etc., (e.g., it's unlikely you'll be claiming for £50k worth of contents in a one-bed council flat).

In regard to claiming the costs back off the attacker, all I can think that hasn't been said already is that they may believe the attacker has some leads as to where the item(s) is / are & they are awaiting further information from him as there may be no need to claim.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 7th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    • 7th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    The person who attacked me gained access as I opened the front door to let my pet inside as it had made noises outside. My property has a shared driveway and this person came from a vehicle and ran towards the drive. When I realised that they were coming towards me I tried to shut and lock the door but I didn't get enough time and they pushed it open and entered the hall. Previous to this happening I had been having some trouble has years before at a previous address I had been subjected to a vicious assault and friends of that person had not believed that their friend had been responsible. In the last incident the attacker mentioned this persons name before they assaulted me. Hence the police and myself having the opinion that this could possibly be some type of revenge. My engagement and wedding rings were taken along with the laptops also a pair of diamond earrings of lesser value than the rings but still of sentimental value.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 11th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    Yesterday I had a call from my insurance company. They have had a valuation of my jewellery items which has come to just over eight thousand pounds. The laptops value at around under two thousand to replace on a like for like basis one was a Toshiba model the other two hewlett Packard. Because my engagement ring has been at six and a half thousand at today's rates on new for old they have asked if I will consider going to obtain a replacement from a store called f hinds. A quick look at their site and its obvious why a similar ring is less than half the cost than from say h samuel or ernest jones. I have never bought anything from f hinds so I don't know if the quality of the stone or gold would be the same as the other well known stores. My insurer say they can give me four thousand pounds in vouchers to obtain a replacement engagement and wedding ring plus the earrings from hinds. Have I got to accept them or should I insist on the original valuation and ask for a gem card so I can go to a store of my choice instead.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 12th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    You can't have the full replacement cost in cash.

You policy likely contains a clause that says where they can replace the item on a like for like basis (which is based on the substantiation you provide for the item, not necessarily what you actually had), then IF you choose to have cash, it'll be at the discount amount.

They have offered a voucher where they feel the a replacement can be purchased. They will only offer a gem card where the item cannot be replaced using the other vouchers. (This is because they get a bigger discount with the other vouchers). You could ask for a gem card, but there will be less money on it because of the discount the insurers get.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 12th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    Ask them to confirm how they have reached a £4000 valuation - there must be certain items in F Hinds' range which are equivalent / L4L compared to what was taken?

As for F Hinds' not being a well-known store, I'm pretty sure they're as commonplace as the others you mention ...
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 12th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I never mentioned that I wanted cash to settle the claim. As I said previously my insurer has had a third party to provide to them an estimate of the costs to replace those items and arrived at just over eight thousand. Obviously if they give me vouchers for four thousand they are only giving me less than half of that estimated value. My engagement ring was purchased in 1998 and they know I couldn't get a like for like replacement for the original purchase price. The value of diamonds and gold has gone up in price since then. And as I said there is a reason that f hinds are much cheaper than other jewellers.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 12th Mar 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,917 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    None of the jewellers you have mentioned renowned for selling decent stuff. Take the cash and visit a local independent, or take a trip to the jewellery district in Birmingham and chose something a little different than offered by the high st stores.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 12th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Aretnap
    This may be of assistance

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/92/92-insurance-claims.html

Broadly speaking yes they can settle with vouchers for a preferred chain, provided the vouchers are sufficient to buy an equivalent replacement. I'd suggest you ask what specific ring in the F Hinds range they're suggesting as a replacement - and then say why you don't think it's equivalent. A vague feeling that you don't think F Hinds sell very high quality jewellery is probably not enough - like all chains they'll have a range of types of jewellery, some of which are higher quality than others. You'll do better by focussing on why the specific item they're suggesting is not good enough (assuming it isn't).
    • rs65
    • By rs65 12th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    rs65
    Did you get your previous issue sorted?

Do you have a single article limit on the policy? Has the ring exceeded it?
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 12th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    What evidence did you provide of the items? IE if you're saying that they're 18 carat gold, have you provided proof of that?

As rs65 has said it could be that you have a small single article limit, or overall jewellery limit on your policy - you need to check those limits.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 12th Mar 17, 7:41 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    My diamond ring was a one and a quarter carat stone set in platinum my wedding ring also platinum with a third carat of diamonds set into the band all princess cut stones. Earrings in platinum set with half a carat of baguette diamonds in cluster drop style. Therefore I don't think four thousand would be enough
    • rs65
    • By rs65 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    rs65
    Did you get your previous issue sorted?

Do you have a single article limit on the policy? Has the ring exceeded it?
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 12th Mar 17, 10:43 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Rs65 to answer your question I checked my policy documents and they state that jewellery and other valuables have a limit of thirty thousand pounds. This is unless you have a higher amount of valuable items beyond this figure you must then inform the insurer of this.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 12th Mar 17, 10:58 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Blibble
    Who are you insured with? I imagine the 30k limit is a total sum insured for jewellery rather than the most the insurer will pay for one specific item of jewellery.

The 4k valuation may have come about if there is a limit for what the insurer would pay out per single item of jewellery. Whether the ring is worth 6.5k or 50k, the insurer would only pay the maximum per single item.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 12th Mar 17, 11:27 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I don't wish to reveal who my insurer is thanks. As I said their third party who provides estimates for replacements gave the valuation of eight thousand six hundred pounds to replace the three items of jewellery. They did say the engagement ring could be replaced for six and a half thousand which is about right. Around one and a half thousand for my wedding ring on a like 5 like basis. And around six to eight hundred for the earrings to be replaced. I was informed most stores such as ernest jones or goldsmiths etc have these similar items at the prices they estimated. But as I say again and I'm fed up with repeating myself they have said f hinds vouchers to the value of four thousand have been offered. And this is less than half of the estimate their jewelery valuator quoted them. They want me to get cheap replacements as I don't think four thousand is enough to replace items of the quality and weight of the items. White gold is no substitute for platinum and we are insured on a like 4 like new for old basis therefore they must provide enough for me to be able to purchase items of the same carat metal purity and quality of stone. Not all diamonds are cut the same hence the higher price the same with white gold compared to platinum.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 13th Mar 17, 6:41 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    You're missing the point. Whilst you may have 30k valuables cover, if the single article limit is £1500 per item and you haven't specified the items, all you're entitled to claim is the single article limit per item.

How did you take out the policy? You should have been asked to specify any valuables over a certain amount. If you feel you weren't asked, you should pursue that line of inquiry.

You were only asked who the insurer is so the wording could be looked at and the cover established.

You've come here for help, let us help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,094Posts Today

7,329Users online

Martin's Twitter