Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alex_163163
    • By alex_163163 6th Feb 17, 9:36 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 94Thanks
    alex_163163
    Buying the freehold of a new build Persimmon house?
    • 6th Feb 17, 9:36 PM
    Buying the freehold of a new build Persimmon house? 6th Feb 17 at 9:36 PM
    Just looking for some first hand experiences from any forum users.....

Myself and my boyfriend are in the process of buying a new build house from Persimmon.
    It is a leasehold property, and we have been aware of this from the outset. However there has been a lot in the media recently about the con of new houses being leasehold, which I fully agree with to be honest. I understand it is basically a cash cow for the developers to make more money.
    Having said that we love the house, love the location, and don't like anything else as much that is in the area or price band we can afford. We are prepared to have to pay for the freehold in the future, at a fair price.
    Now we have done our research into the possibility of buying the freehold in the future, so I know after 2 years of owning a lease on a house you have the legal right to serve the freeholder with notice and buy the freehold forcibly (obviously incurring legal and surveying fees from both parties).
    I also have heard that some developers offer you the freehold after a couple of years, but I also know that for a house, the developer doesn't have to give the leaseholder first refusal on it, and can sell it to 3rd party company.

I guess what I am wanting is to hear back from anybody who has bought a Persimmon leasehold new build, and their experience of being offered/ buying the freehold further down the line.
    What price did they offer it to you at? Did you negotiate on this? What legal/ other fees did you incur?
    Has Persimmon sold the freehold to a 3rd party company without your nowledge/ without offering it to you first?
    I have heard a lot of negatives about Taylor wimpey, and redrow, and bellway, but nothing on Persimmon so just wanting to hear anyone else experiences with them please?
Page 3
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 17, 9:07 AM
    • 29,158 Posts
    • 17,439 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Mortgage lenders could knock this on the head immediately

They are taking the risk of an unsalable(at the valuation) property if people shy away from them.

setting lending levels on the potential for reduced liquidity would see many people unable to buy and the developers would have no choice but to make the sale terms better.
    • zzzzbe
    • By zzzzbe 22nd May 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zzzzbe
    Keep me updated on this one! Im in the same boat at the moment, i'm going to put it to Persimmon tomorrow and ask them to put it in the contracts that we get first refusal of the freehold!
    Originally posted by Lockylocky10
    Did this work :Lockylocky10
    • Redman2988
    • By Redman2988 26th May 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redman2988
    I am going through the same process at the moment.

Leasehold House - 999 years - £150 Ground Rent for first ten years and £151.33 current Service Charge.

I can't remember the provisions for ground rent and service charge but it doesn't appear too onerous. Although there are some provisions saying we can't alter it without paying a fee etc

However solicitor has raised the enquiry asking for the freehold to be included as we were told by the sales lady onsite that there was a right to buy the freehold in the lease. They'll say 'No'. The solicitor will ask why and they'll come up with a random 'commercial'nreason as to why it can't be done now.

I am tempted to let it get to exchange day and then try the usual gazumping tactic to get the freehold but doubt it will work.
    • nikkih72
    • By nikkih72 6th Jul 17, 7:02 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nikkih72
    Any updates on this thread ? we were due to go view persimmons houses today, but after reading about these leaseholds, i don't wanna go and fall in love and fall into the trap
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,675Posts Today

8,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin