What rights do I have with my car?

Options
Jlawson118
Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 2 January 2017 at 12:35AM in Motoring
I bought a used car from JCT600 in August, I paid upfront without taking finance and after 3/4 months in, I started experiencing issues with the car. Baring in mind that JCT have given me a year's warranty.

I've posted a few threads in the motoring forum regarding the problems but now I'm wondering what rights I have now.

I've been told by an independent mechanic that I need a new timing chain as my current one is stretched. But JCT refuse to accept a fault with the car. I've took it to another mechanic who talked himself out of a sale and told me that I need to contact trading standards but he also said I may have problems if I haven't reported the issues to JCT within the first three months, even though I'm currently on my 4/5th month. I went to email trading standards and there's only a telephone number, so I was going to call out the AA to maybe inspect the car one day this week and contact them if they find anything.

Although I bought the car at just short of 29,000 miles and now I've driven it to just over 34,000. I worry that might affect things too
What are my rights when buying a car?

Comments

• GTE_Boy
    GTE_Boy Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    You can only contact trading standards via the citizens advice bureau.

Get some evidence, other than the say so of your mechanic and take it back to the supplier.
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    My car just isn't right, I've been trying and trying to get it looked at by the main dealers and by independent mechanics. One says one thing, the other argues that the other is wrong, and then the third party investigating for me, their computer wouldn't connect up for some reason.

But the car is getting unbearable to drive sometimes. I'm covered with the AA for most things. I drove my girlfriend to work today and she begged me to get the car looked at again because with the way it was running, she was scared it was going to break down. I told her I want to get the AA out but I won't bother them on New Years Day, especially when I haven't broken down.

I did phone the AA up a few weeks ago stating I hadn't got my card yet, and I asked the guy if I could call them out with the issues, he said as long as I'm worried to drive the car or feel there's something wrong with it, then they'll gladly come out and investigate. But I just worry I'm going to be wasting their time. I know I've paid for a membership but would they come out to a non-breakdown?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    not their job to diagnose , their job to fix and get you home

perhaps if you said what the car was , and the fault , people might be able to give an "internet" diagnosis , and maybe some answers may be simular to what you have been told

fault please , and the 2 diagnosis?

unless this is the car that you bought from JCT and have already asked about in multiple posts
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Jlawson118
    edited 2 January 2017 at 12:59AM
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    not their job to diagnose , their job to fix and get you home

perhaps if you said what the car was , and the fault , people might be able to give an "internet" diagnosis , and maybe some answers may be simular to what you have been told

fault please , and the 2 diagnosis?

I have posted about this yes although the car is getting worse and worse I just don't know what to do about it anymore!

I have a 1.2L, 2011 Vauxhall Corsa, bought from JCT600 with a year's warranty. Although the car keeps running really sluggish. I know Corsas aren't the most powerful cars ever but the car is becoming quite dangerous to drive, sometimes I have to emerge from junctions onto busy roads and there's a pull like it just doesn't want to go.

I took it to a local mechanic who diagnosed a stretched timing chain, so with the car being in warranty, I took it to JCT. They claimed it was the coil pack and brought it into me all corroded and said that was my problem, they were fitting me a new one. I took a photo and showed it to the local mechanic, he said it wasn't even from my car, I also took it to another guy who works with cars and he also said it doesn't look like it's from a Corsa either, but he said they could have easily snapped it by taking it out.

But the car is running awful. There's a jump between first and second gear, and moving off in first gear just feels like I'm being pushed or pulled back. I'll put enough revs on and it still judders like it's going to stall when I lift up the clutch. I was driving some friends around last night and my friend who also works with cars told me he could feel it wasn't right
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im no expert but when was the timing belt changed on the car, maybe its due a replacement.
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Im no expert but when was the timing belt changed on the car, maybe its due a replacement.

i don't think it ever has been changed, but apparently it is in need of it doing
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So what does your friend say about it other than it doesnt feel right.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well as they have changed the coil pack (or not) and its still not right take it back

the diagnostic of a timing chain could be correct , and the one with the coil pack obviously isnt , take it back and ask them to fix it

DO NOT let other people touch the car or the garage will kick off and refuse to repair if other people have worked on it
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do we really need a further thread about the same issue. As advised in your other threads about this issue take it to a recommended garage for a proper diagnosis. This is not a Job for the aa and would be unfairly taking a driver away from a customer who could be broken down in a dangerous location.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    My car just isn't right, I've been trying and trying to get it looked at by the main dealers and by independent mechanics. One says one thing, the other argues that the other is wrong, and then the third party investigating for me, their computer wouldn't connect up for some reason.

But the car is getting unbearable to drive sometimes. I'm covered with the AA for most things. I drove my girlfriend to work today and she begged me to get the car looked at again because with the way it was running, she was scared it was going to break down. I told her I want to get the AA out but I won't bother them on New Years Day, especially when I haven't broken down.

I did phone the AA up a few weeks ago stating I hadn't got my card yet, and I asked the guy if I could call them out with the issues, he said as long as I'm worried to drive the car or feel there's something wrong with it, then they'll gladly come out and investigate. But I just worry I'm going to be wasting their time. I know I've paid for a membership but would they come out to a non-breakdown?

Add to your present thread (s).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport