Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Over 50s Money Saving > Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??
Closed Thread
Views: 25,940
# 1
losgiganteskid
Old 20-09-2007, 4:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cool Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

I understand that from April 2008 persons over 60 can obtain free bus and rail passes but you have to apply before the end of Sept and send in a passport type photo. Can anyone tell me where I get an application form from please. Thanks in advance
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to losgiganteskid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ritaing
Old 21-09-2007, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Free bus travel

Hi, I just called in at my post office filled in the form and gave the lady my photo. If your bus pass that you are using now runs out before march next year you will need 2 photo's. hope that has helped you. Ritaing.
# 3
loulou41
Old 21-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I know about the bus pass, but not sure about the rail pass. Pl can you tell me more about it!! Thanks
# 4
LittleVoice
Old 22-09-2007, 8:41 AM

Also note that the scheme is for "local" travel, not long distance. You might be able to get from Carlisle to Bodmin for free, but you would have to do it on a series of local services!

I think the national scheme is for local buses only but some areas include rail and tram services as well (possibly just for their own local people).
# 5
msmo
Old 24-09-2007, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Free Bus and rail travell

In Mid Wales where I live, we have had these concessions for a few months now. They are for anywhere withing Wales, If we overstep the border however, we pay the addittional add on charge, which is a small amout. very very usefull... thanks to the Welsh assembly

Ex Brummie msmo
# 6
annamac1
Old 24-09-2007, 4:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question

Can you get a discount on public transport travel on the continent (France and/or Spain) when in receipt of e.g. an Invalidity Pension? My FIL asked this question the other day, a carrot possibly to persuade him to travel with us next time....
Any information links would be appreciated. Sorry, but thhis may be the wrong thread to post this question.

Last edited by annamac1; 24-09-2007 at 4:39 PM.
# 7
Newly retired
Old 24-09-2007, 7:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I can't say about Invalidty Pension but I got a reduction on French trains just for saying I was over 60 - no ID required even.
In UK there is a separate Senior Rail card which gives you a discount on all tickets. It costs £20 per yr but a couple of longish journeys can easily recoup the initial outlay. However there are sometimes better special offers available without the card.
In West Yorkshire the Metro card for seniors gives free bus travel within the area - you can go beyond and pay extra at the start of your journey for the section outside West Yorks. we can also go on local trains for 35p. with the metro card
# 8
Biggles14
Old 25-09-2007, 8:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Free bus pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgiganteskid View Post
I understand that from April 2008 persons over 60 can obtain free bus and rail passes but you have to apply before the end of Sept and send in a passport type photo. Can anyone tell me where I get an application form from please. Thanks in advance
If this is your first pass then you can get a form from the post office.
I live in South Glos. and have recently received a letter from the Local Authority (who issue the passes) asking me to fill in a new form for next year as it would seem that we are all going to get a National Bus Pass in place of the local one in issue at the moment. A new photo was not required
as they had a copy of my existing photo. Hope this helps.

Have one on me .
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
JackieO
Old 28-09-2007, 6:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles14 View Post
If this is your first pass then you can get a form from the post office.
I live in South Glos. and have recently received a letter from the Local Authority (who issue the passes) asking me to fill in a new form for next year as it would seem that we are all going to get a National Bus Pass in place of the local one in issue at the moment. A new photo was not required
as they had a copy of my existing photo. Hope this helps.

Have one on me .
But will it include local rail travel.I ask because as a registered disabled pensioner I buy a pass that gives me a concession for myself and another, and it cost me £18.00 in July of this year for rail travel only.I have a local bus pass for Kent that gives me free travel at the moment
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003
# 10
millie
Old 28-09-2007, 6:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I filled a form in this week currently have a West Midlands pass that covers bus and local rail services, I had to attach another photo to it even though I only had my over 60s local pass in February. The form had to be sent back to them by 30th September, it said if not returned by that date i would not get the pass. This could have been a problem as I was on holiday when the form was sent to me so only got it on Tuesday 22nd, good job I did not have a longer holiday.
# 11
Biggles14
Old 29-09-2007, 11:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
But will it include local rail travel.I ask because as a registered disabled pensioner I buy a pass that gives me a concession for myself and another, and it cost me £18.00 in July of this year for rail travel only.I have a local bus pass for Kent that gives me free travel at the moment
As you are in receipt of a concession for rail travel at the moment I can only assume that it will continue. I can only comment on what happened to me regarding the Bus Only Pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Malcmandy
Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a free bus pass for Cornwall, but have not had any information from anyone on applying for the national one. Any info. gratefully received.
# 13
anniewoo
Old 02-10-2007, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got my first over 60's bus pass a few weeks ago and the lady said that she wasn't sure yet what would happen in April 08,whether everyone would stick with the passes they had now or whether we would all be issued with new ones.

She said if they were to change,everyone who is on their records as having a pass at the moment would be contacted to go and get a new one.
# 14
feijoa
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Over 60s will be able to enjoy free off-peak bus travel anywhere in England from April next year - says Alistair Darling. Excellent - but how will this affect people like us, who live just south of the Scottish Border? Much of our travel - shopping, outings etc, currently done by car - involves going into Scotland as well as here in Northumberland. I would love to use the bus instead, where possible. However, Scotland has had its own separate pensioners' free travel scheme for some time. Will pensioners from south of the Border be able to get free off-peak travel in Scotland as well - or must you be resident in Scotland for this to apply? Anyone know?
if i had known then what i know now
# 15
lizc
Old 12-10-2007, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

In Sheffield I get a pass that lets me use buses, trains and the tram withing South Yorkshire free, plus small charges for neighbouring areas. I'm wondering, if the new national pass is only for buses, whether we're likely to lose free travel on trains and trams, or will local councils be able to have their own arrangements in addition to the national one?
Liz
# 16
feijoa
Old 13-10-2007, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

...and the obvious corollary to my query above, re free off-peak bus travel in Scotland for residents in England - will those living in Scotland, who already qualify for free bus travel there, also be able to have free off-peak bus travel throughout England? Unless I missed something, I don't think this was made clear in the pre-budget speech or in Ruth Kelly's earlier statement. Need to know!
if i had known then what i know now
# 17
seven-day-weekend
Old 13-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamac1 View Post
Can you get a discount on public transport travel on the continent (France and/or Spain) when in receipt of e.g. an Invalidity Pension? My FIL asked this question the other day, a carrot possibly to persuade him to travel with us next time....
Any information links would be appreciated. Sorry, but thhis may be the wrong thread to post this question.
These services are incredibly cheap in Spain anyway.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
# 18
C_Ronaldo
Old 13-10-2007, 7:23 PM

The bus services are cheap in france, italy and spain not sure on other EU countries, the ones ive used have been cheap but it could be a different story in other cities
No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
# 19
LimeLight
Old 13-10-2007, 7:24 PM

The new national passes for elderly and disabled people will come out next April.

Local authorities will keep their existing free travel arrangements, but they will be available to use on all english local buses between the times of 9am and 11pm.

I'll get the link when i get home tonight.
For Sale

A Blackberry on Orange.
See avatar..

# 20
LimeLight
Old 14-10-2007, 12:04 AM

Details on here!
For Sale

A Blackberry on Orange.
See avatar..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LimeLight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread