Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 22nd Nov 16, 3:52 PM
    • 1,908Posts
    • 4,664Thanks
    Angry Bear
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner
    • 22nd Nov 16, 3:52 PM
    Looking for a new vacuum cleaner 22nd Nov 16 at 3:52 PM
    Hi all,

I know this might be slightly better on the "Iwant it" board, but I figured some of you here might have an opinion .
    I'm in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, and it's been so long since I last bought one that I don't really know what's good/bad/cheap ...

I have a combination of hard and carpeted flooring (but I'm happy to stick with brushing and mopping the hard floor).
    I have long hair, but no pets or children - so carpet doesn't get too dirty, but my hair does seem to get everywhere.
    I have stairs to clean so something a bit lighter or more flexible might be worth considering. But I'm also fit and healthy (fingers crossed) so if there are big downsides to the light ones I can cope with something a bit bulkier.

I sort of fancy the GTech Air Ram, but I think I might just be a victim of flash advertising

Cheap is obviously good, but my budget isn't very constrained and I would pay a bit more for something good that's likely to last.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 2
    • manhleo93
    • By manhleo93 8th Sep 17, 4:51 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    manhleo93
    Dyson V8 2017
    like Dyson V8 2017. You can view my detailed review at largereviews.com/best-vacuum-stairs
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Sep 17, 5:37 AM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    You sucker!
    No, go for a Dyson Animal. Current BoPse whips around with one, it is purrfectvif you gave a cat!
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    You can't beat a Henry for value for money and longevity.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 9,681 Posts
    • 104,467 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I have a lightweight Dys0n Animal - essential as I am a Carer for a dog-sittting company. I also have an £lectrolux handheld.

I know cordless seem to be all the rage at the moment, but I wouldn't get one.

I used to have a cordless handheld; but with cordless items, you can only recharge the battery so many times (like your rechargeable AA batteries really) and then it won't hold a charge any more. When this happened, admittedly I'd had the machine several years, I wanted to get a new battery as the machine itself was fine, but was told rather curtly by the company that I'd have to buy a complete new unit, they didn't do batteries for that model any more.

So I opted for the corded variety after that,

Just my two-penn'orth.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,448Posts Today

6,095Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin