Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 14th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 1,654Posts
    • 2,501Thanks
    Kim kim
    My tv only has 1 HDMI port
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    My tv only has 1 HDMI port 14th Oct 16 at 7:39 PM
    My tv is mounted on the wall, it has the hdmi & power cable buried in the wall & plastered & painted over.
    The one hdmi port is connected to the sky box.
    The tv is not smart.

I would like to get Netflix's. netflix has Reign & The Crown is coming next month, plus the films are much cheaper than sky cinema.

I still want to keep sky.

I'm guessing I could buy a little Apple TV box to get Netflix?

How do I connect to the tv?

Can I get anything that I could plug into the non tv end of the hdmi cable that would allow me to connect multiple boxes (or just both). I don't really want to have to keep taking cables in & out, I have them in a unit & it's not easy work on them, I wouldn't want to have to do it to change the channel!

I don't want to change the tv, it's a pioneer plasma, it's a lovely tv & picture.
Page 2
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 18th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    emptybox
    If you scroll down to the question and answer section it specifically says it doesn't come with a power supply.
    It has a 5v DC power socket, but you have to find your own power supply.
    You might find a mobile phone charger that outputs 5v DC would work with it.

You can buy others that do come with a power supply though. For example
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-301BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049S6ZUS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476787702&sr =1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+powered

Most things will work fine without a power supply, but these little TV boxes - Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Now TV etc may well not work unless there is a power supply connected.

I have one of those pigtail switches linked to by karatepet in post 2, which doesn't have the option of a power supply, and it won't work with my Amazon Fire TV box. It just doesn't recognize it's connected to it, so you can't switch to it. Works fine with my Freesat and Freeview PVR TV boxes though.
    Last edited by emptybox; 18-10-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 22nd Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Kim kim
    If you scroll down to the question and answer section it specifically says it doesn't come with a power supply.
    It has a 5v DC power socket, but you have to find your own power supply.
    You might find a mobile phone charger that outputs 5v DC would work with it.

You can buy others that do come with a power supply though. For example
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-301BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049S6ZUS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476787702&sr =1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+powered

Most things will work fine without a power supply, but these little TV boxes - Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Now TV etc may well not work unless there is a power supply connected.

I have one of those pigtail switches linked to by karatepet in post 2, which doesn't have the option of a power supply, and it won't work with my Amazon Fire TV box. It just doesn't recognize it's connected to it, so you can't switch to it. Works fine with my Freesat and Freeview PVR TV boxes though.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    I bought this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0049SCB2Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477151279&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=5+Port+HDMI+AC&d pPl=1&dpID=41F3h7s806L&ref=plSrch
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 22nd Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Thank you everyone for your help - I'm looking forward to Netflix!!

Now my next question, do I get the standard (cheapest) package?
    • anna42hmr
    • By anna42hmr 22nd Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    anna42hmr

Originally posted by Kim kim
    Netflix does standard pricing depending on the package you choose, 5.99, 7.49 and 8.49. The first one only has standard definition , the more expensive one allows 4 devices and has 4K as well, depends on what you will use it for.

They often do special offers so would suggest you google those but if not you get a month free when you sign up directly through them (Netflix.co.uk)

I also second the suggestion of the kinivo splinter linked to previously I've a couple of them and had them for years without any issues.
    Last edited by anna42hmr; 22-10-2016 at 6:12 PM.
    MFW # 105

2015 Target £7000/ Overpaid £8095

2016 Original Target £4500, Target increased to £5500 / Then increased again to £6000
    Overpaid so far £6866.72 (as at end of November)
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 27,771 Posts
    • 17,534 Thanks
    DCFC79

Depends if you have other devices you would use to watch Netflix on and if your bothered about HD content, if not then the cheapest will do.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 23rd Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Depends if you have other devices you would use to watch Netflix on, if not then the cheapest will do.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    No, I only watch tv is the living room.

Is the HD worth it or no different?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 23rd Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 27,771 Posts
    • 17,534 Thanks
    DCFC79
    No, I only watch tv is the living room.

Is the HD worth it or no different?
    I cant really comment, tv isn't the best.

You can easily change plans if you would prefer HD content.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 23-10-2016 at 7:11 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

239Posts Today

2,213Users online

Martin's Twitter