'Recycling' with Mobile Cash Mate

Options
djsat2
djsat2 Posts: 8 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 14 October 2016 at 9:47AM in Mobiles
Hello.

Was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and if anything can be done?

I sent my Sony Z5 off to Mobile Cash Mate about 10 days ago, they gave a good quote. It was received fine but during testing they couldn't access my device because it was still locked - i was unaware that despite doing the factory reset procedure my devices would still be locked to my Google account!! After some to'ing and fro'ing i asked them to send a photo of my phone with the screen they were seeing (as i dint really believe them) - i didn't want to give them the password to my google acount so this would be proof. I received some photos which indeed showed the situation, i called them up and gave them a temporary password, it was unlocked and wiped etc... this part is fine but important to the next part of my story.

About 4-5 days after the above i now get another email from them telling me my quote has been reduced from £172 to £17 because there are 'pressure marks' on my screen and they therefore deem at the lower value. I know there were no issues with my screen and I have their photos to also demonstrate it however they are having none of this and keep telling me they can either give me the £17 or send the device back - my worry is that the phone has become damaged while in their possession and i'm going to receive a damaged device back. I've asked them to provide further photographic evidence of these marks and also describe what a 'pressure mark' is but not had a response yet.

I'm beginning to think i might have to take this to a small claims court!! Any ideas?

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Next time look them up on here before going anywhere near them.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4900438&highlight=mobilecashmate

Among others. I think I'd avoid anyone with the name "mate" in its name.

As for the small claims court - you'd need to follow the correct procedure in the t&c and get the phone back first, then be able to prove damage if it has occurred (it may not even be the same phone you get back - you'd need to prove that too, though that much shouldn't be too difficult).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Take the money or get it back. Anything over that is going to be time and money wasted.

How will you prove they damaged the phone? It may have happened during shipping. They say you packed it poorly and you have no proof of the packaging.

Its not what you know its what you can prove. Just slag them off on every forum you can find, startup a fan page and slag them off. Become enough of a headache they may even buy the website off you.

This used to be easier some years back, but the nets just bloated these days. I used to have websites on my AOL space that got to the top search results in google. Over time they dropped to many pages down.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Take the Sony Z5 back and try Mazuma Mobile if your phone is absolutely fine when you've received it.

There are other mobile phone recycling companies out there but they quoted me a fixed price for my iPhone (even though there was a mark on the handset).

Sent it back one Tuesday afternoon, they tested it Wednesday morning and by the afternoon I'd had the full price paid via BACS into my account.

Some companies will tempt you in with higher prices than their competitors then do their utmost to give you as poor a price as possible.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure