Arcadia Group & CarpetRight

Options
Apologies in advance, these questions have probably been asked before, but would like to know the answer to question 1 in particular before I make a phone call tomorrow if at all possible.

1) Was PPI sometimes shown as interest on Top Shop cards?

2) Did CarpetRight charge PPI shown as interest on statements in the late 1990's and early 2000's, or would this more likely to have been, in fact, interest?

Many thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gramochroi wrote: »
    Was PPI sometimes shown as interest on Top Shop cards?
    Categorically not.
    PPI is insurance.
    Interest is interest paid on the outstanding amount owed.
    Did CarpetRight charge PPI shown as interest on statements in the late 1990's and early 2000's, or would this more likely to have been, in fact, interest?
    PPI is insurance.
    Interest is interest paid on the outstanding amount owed.
    The two were never confused by any provider and each was always itemised separately on each and every monthly statement.

If your statements don't clearly show PPI, you didn't have it.
    It's a myth fostered by Claim Companies that PPI was "hidden" in Interest charges.
  • gramochroi
    Options
    But Santander have told me that I had PPI and it wasn't shown as a separate charge on my statement?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But Santander have told me that I had PPI and it wasn't shown as a separate charge on my statement?
    Since credit card PPI was only paid when the account had a balance, it's entirely possible to "have" PPI and yet to never have paid any.
    Santander will only refund monies you actually paid, so even if any complaint you might make is upheld you might well receive nothing.
  • gramochroi
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I have been made an offer, but will just have a further chat with them to make sure it is correct.
  • gramochroi
    Options
    Sorry if I'm being an absolute dimwit. But I had this card for fifteen years between 1986 and 2001. The offer they have made me is based on my having paid about £1.20 a month in PPI. I asked my ex to pull out some old paperwork today. As an example in Jun/July 2000 my spend on the card was £118.29, although I know it went quite a lot higher at times. There is no indication of PPI, just interest payments.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much you spent on the card, it's the balance left that determines whether PPI is paid. On months when you had a nil balance, you won't have paid any PPI.
  • gramochroi
    Options
    But would the PPI have been included in the balance? Where is this indicated, was it a hidden percentage?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you paid off the balance prior to the next statement, no PPI would have been charged. Any PPI would only be charged on the NEXT month's statement, thus allowing you to pay off the balance if you desired.

In summary;
    PPI was detailed on a separate line each month (but only if payable)

PPI was not "hidden" in Interest charges or anywhere else.

If no PPI is itemised on a given statement, then you didn't pay any for that month.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    You seem to be alleging that PPI was missold to you in 1986 and they have made an offer.

You could instead take the matter to FOS. If you do, you risk the matter being looked at by somebody at Santander who realises that in 1986 there was no predecessor to FOS that had jurisidiction over the sale so that FOS has no jurisdiction either. If that happens, you get nothing.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options

This is rare, although it did happen by mistake on some of the old Arcadia Group stores, which Santander are now dealing with.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure