Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• united4eva
    • By united4eva 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 4Thanks
    RTA - Driver failed to give insurance details
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    RTA - Driver failed to give insurance details 13th Oct 16 at 12:56 PM
    hi guys,

my wife had a RTA a few weeks ago, another chap hitting her as he pulled out without looking from the left hitting the from passenger door. Initially the dude tried driving off only stopping when OH stopped her car and got out. First he accused her of hitting his car at the back which makes no sense, and then refused to give his name/insurance details. OH rang my sister who was nearby who managed to get a photo of third party car, plate and driver.

- We reported to police who have since (few weeks later) reported back that he disputes the event saying that my wife hit him. But they didn't address the fact that he didn't give insurance details at the time. They also said nearby CCTV didn't have anything, surprising as the camera looks like a 360 camera and would be surprising if it didn't record road traffic considering it is located on a busy road...
    - Insurance initially fobbed off wife saying nothing can be done without third parties name, unless she pays excess up front.
    - Wife is in process of getting back in touch with police to enquire about lack of action against the guy who effectively admitted being in an accident (regardless of whose fault), but failed to give insurance details and also likely didn't report the incident to his insurance.

The car damage is not huge, but I am fuming on principal as wife is pregnant and the other driver didn't give any info, instead trying to blame wife at the same time. And the response from insurance and police so far is pathetic. Basically telling me, no point having insurance, just lie and/or drive off if something happens and deny/dispute. Just glad the impact not on the driver side or things could have been worse.

Do you guys have any thoughts or advice on how to proceed?

My plan is to grill the police why they didn't do anything to the guy about not giving his insurance details.
    Try and get the guys insurance details from police.
    Chase up police/council to see if we can see the CCTV footage.
    Once we have reasonable evidence, then go back to insurer, who so far has seemed unwilling to do anything.

Apologies if this is written poorly, but in a rush and bit p'd off!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 29,902 Posts
    • 14,083 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    You can get the car's insurance details via:

(Costs £4)

It looks like you never claimed off your own insurance?

If so then they are not going to spend a lot of time establishing liability as they have no losses to claim off anyone as yet!
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 14th Oct 16, 6:55 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:55 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 6:55 AM
    My son had a similar situation, some one ran in to the back of him on a roundabout. Open and shut case you would have thought.

The woman just gave her name and address / phone number but looking at the damage we went to a body shop who recommended replacing bumper and back panel. when we got an estimate she refused to talk to him, just saying I don't want to know. Got quite narky with him.

So we went down the Askmid route and contacted her insurers directly. They wouldn't do anything until they had spoken to her, which was understandable. But she refused to communicate with them.

After a couple of months my son got his own insurers to repair the car and kept badgering her insurers for repayment of his excess. Luckily because the cost of repairs was less than his excess Aviva put it down as a non fault and he kept his NCD.

In the end her insurers made an Ex Gratia payment without admission but that was only after badgering them for months.
    • MarkC2
    • By MarkC2 14th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 14th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    If the damage is minor just fix it a forget it.

I had this 12 months ago when someone pulled out into our car, then reversed back and drove off. We had witnesses and a dashcam but the view of the Police was that it was a civil matter. Why we bother funding the Police anymore is a mystery and another story.

The insurance company will do exactly as described above and so you lose your claim free record (but not your NCD) and they get away as free as a bird.

Sorry but that is the world we have created for ourselves.
    • AllanA
    • By AllanA 18th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    If you have legal cover on your insurance, they should take your case up, if need be as far as court. I don't see why they couldn't also start a private prosecution for failing to give insurance details.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

3,700Users online

Martin's Twitter