Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 13th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 1,538Posts
    • 332Thanks
    Running application on website
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    Running application on website 13th Oct 16 at 11:00 AM
    Here's a follow on from a thread of mine four years ago (I never understand the purpose of closing threads): I'm still working on it, amongst other things.

It's been reiterated to me that companies are very reluctant to install programs onto their systems these days, one bank telling me that it could take them a year to get permission internally to do it. So my only option seems to be to have the program run over the Internet. InsideInsurance was saying in the previous thread that dragging elements is now possible in html and I think that I can now see how everything I need to do would be done using html and javascript. It would be nice to reuse my existing vb code but I cannot get Microsoft Visual Studio to run without hanging all the time, so I would rather develop in something like Notepad++. I think that may rule out

Ultimately I'm looking at something like Google Docs with a very lengthy javascript file and a bit of html. Like Google Docs I would want my users to be able to save details of what they did, so that would have to be done on the server, with Python or something like that. But the vast majority of the code would have to be on the client side. I see that Google Docs has about 60,000 lines of code on the client side, so clearly this is possible.

Grateful for any comments on my choice of technologies.
Page 1
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 13th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    Consult a professional, severe security risks may abound by shoddy coding.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Oct 16, 11:17 PM
    • 22,981 Posts
    • 9,024 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:17 PM
    They close threads because of spammers sometimes, possibly someone trying to flog you a hosting package on some virus ridden server.

Its all about trust though. Even some well known sites get broken into and redirected to downloads from a different site.

Linux Mint had an issue where someone had got in and redirected downloads to infected installs.

Who will use your program? What sort of data will it hold? What security measures will it have?

A 1&1 host wouldnt inspire me with confidence.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 13-10-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 13th Oct 16, 11:42 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:42 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:42 PM
    The concern for me would be if your potential customer won't allow you to install software, then will they allow their data to be moved outside their company? Certainly I can't imagine a bank allowing data to be stored into some Google Docs file.
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 17th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    I think I'd have to use a secure server, not that I know anything about such things. Apparently medical records are kept on these. 1&1 hosting is certainly out of the question.

The information contained would encompass corporate finance arrangements. Confidential, certainly, but not massively so except in certain cases where it would be price-sensitive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

2,227Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • BBC weather just told us clocks going back means "everyone gets an extra hour's sleep". Hmmm not if you've young children or on nightshift.

• Pension cold callers and misselling ruins lives. This petition is trying to stop them sign if u agree.

• Thank you Microsoft (Tom)

• Follow Martin