Is MSE geolocked now?

2»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    droopsnout wrote: »
    Thank you for all your replies. It does seem to be something at my end, but I've no idea what as I can't tie it up with a similar error occurring at any other site.
    I know you've tried it on a VPN and I'm a bit iggorant about these things, but have you tried it on more than one computer wherever the problem first started, and in more than one place other than the VPN?

Does that make ANY sense?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Yes it does, and no, I haven't.

Your tech guys/gals have contacted me with a question, and I have just sent a reply.

It's very good of them to look into this.

I will try to connect from a different machine, or even from my smartphone, and see what happens.

Thanks, Sue.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I was peeved when find my smartphone took to insisting I use the new layout not the comfortable green. So I closed the page & tried again from google all the way through & hurrah, I'm back in green again. Smartphones can be a bit dumb some days. Meilleurs Voeux!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    droopsnout wrote: »
    Yes it does, and no, I haven't.

Your tech guys/gals have contacted me with a question, and I have just sent a reply.

It's very good of them to look into this.

I will try to connect from a different machine, or even from my smartphone, and see what happens.
    That's good to know, I did report your post in the hope that would prompt an answer.

The thing is, if it's not a geolocking thing (which it clearly isn't), then it's unlikely to be just you it's affecting, whatever it is, so they really ought to investigate and sort out.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • droopsnout
    Just tried to connect using my smartphone. I got the same error message. It was connecting via my home wifi router.

I switched of wifi on the phone, forcing it to connect via its mobile phone signal. It connected to the site quickly!

That would indicate - to my simple mind, at least - that there is something amiss in my router.

Thanks for the extra info, Sue.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm in the UK so no need to go through a VPN - I'm getting the TCP timeout error message today but not all the time and this only started today.

Also, the IP address it gives where it says your IP is etc is definitely not mine could it be a problem with the IP trace algorithm?
  • Got the TCP error here to UK.

So site not router problem.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Been getting the TCP error for about 2 hours now and only with MSE.

According to the error message, I'm somewhere in Turkey and the IP address it gives for me starts with 78.

Strange as I'm right now right in the middle of England and not on a VPN or proxy.

Also, I type up a post hit the submit button, the post gets posted and I'm logged out at the same time.

Could this be something to do with Win 10 anniversary update?

I've not noticed any of this when on a tablet.
  • droopsnout
    Curiouser and curiouser!
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Been getting the TCP error for about 2 hours now and only with MSE.

According to the error message, I'm somewhere in Turkey and the IP address it gives for me starts with 78.

Strange as I'm right now right in the middle of England and not on a VPN or proxy.

Also, I type up a post hit the submit button, the post gets posted and I'm logged out at the same time.

Could this be something to do with Win 10 anniversary update?

I've not noticed any of this when on a tablet.

Hiya.

I've been getting a 'Error 20' message like the ones described all day when it comes to the MSE site. Since that stupid update, it really hates this site & BBC News for some reason.
    I've been using Chrome to access this site, and it's playing up on that as well.
    It's very frustrating, especially when you are posting a reply and it logs you out.
    In a way, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport