Now TV on Samsung and LG TV's

Options
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience running Now TV on a Samsung or an LG TV

How does it function? Do you need to open a Now TV app to watch Sky1 or Fox? Can you pause or schedule to record those premium channels through the PVR on the tv?

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Now TV through my LG Tv. You select the smart functions on the TV and Now Tv is one of the standard apps. Select NOW Tv which you log into (no need to re-login after the first time). There is the option to watch programmes, films and sport - depends which package you subscribe to. Movies and TV programmes are available on catch up or you can watch channels live (not sure if sport is on catch up, but you can watch live). Some catch up programmes are only available for a limited time - typically a month. Most box sets are available for a long time, and typically tell you when they can be watch until.
    There is no function to record the programmes far as I am aware, and I suspect Sky block that anyway (unless you are a tech genius and can find a work around). However, because most content is available on catch up, there's not much reason to record.
    You can also add TV programmes and movies to your 'watch list' for easy access. If you've had Netflix or Amazon TV, they operate in pretty much the same way. Once you have an account, you can access Now TV through loads of devices - PS3/4, tablet, PC, TV etc. My Youview box has it built in as well, although it doesn't have the TV bit in for some reason.
  • charlee1985
    Options
    I use Now TV through my LG Tv. You select the smart functions on the TV and Now Tv is one of the standard apps. Select NOW Tv which you log into (no need to re-login after the first time). There is the option to watch programmes, films and sport - depends which package you subscribe to. Movies and TV programmes are available on catch up or you can watch channels live (not sure if sport is on catch up, but you can watch live). Some catch up programmes are only available for a limited time - typically a month. Most box sets are available for a long time, and typically tell you when they can be watch until.
    There is no function to record the programmes far as I am aware, and I suspect Sky block that anyway (unless you are a tech genius and can find a work around). However, because most content is available on catch up, there's not much reason to record.
    You can also add TV programmes and movies to your 'watch list' for easy access. If you've had Netflix or Amazon TV, they operate in pretty much the same way. Once you have an account, you can access Now TV through loads of devices - PS3/4, tablet, PC, TV etc. My Youview box has it built in as well, although it doesn't have the TV bit in for some reason.

If you use a USB on the LG won't it work as a PVR and let you record and schedule recordings? Or it will only work for the Freeview tuner LG has :/

Thanks
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    99% certain my LG tv only allows recording via the inbuilt freeview tuner
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use a USB on the LG won't it work as a PVR and let you record and schedule recordings? Or it will only work for the Freeview tuner LG has :/
    That should be the same for any TV that has 'USB recording' - it'll only be from its own tuner(s).
  • Aliana_Johnson
    Options
    I've got a samsung smart tv... I didn't realise this existed.. sounds interesting!
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a samsung smart tv

Don't get too exited - there are stacks of Samsung Smart TVs - not all models necessarily have USB recording. Also the user interface isn't always great, and of course unless you have a very rare dual tuner TV, you're stuck watching what you're recording. Absolutely no competition for a proper PVR.
  • charlee1985
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Don't get too exited - there are stacks of Samsung Smart TVs - not all models necessarily have USB recording. Also the user interface isn't always great, and of course unless you have a very rare dual tuner TV, you're stuck watching what you're recording. Absolutely no competition for a proper PVR.

You should be able to schedule to record if you are out of the house though. Also Pause and Play on live tv will be an option with the usb I think.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have an LG Smart. In answer to you question no it is not possible to record Now TV.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was using an external hard drive as my recorder on my LG TV - unfortunately it has real problems recording any HD content, and doesn't record with any of the apps - as said by others, only from its own tuners.
    You can use the TV guide on the TV to set recordings, (incl. series recordings), but it's no replacement for a proper PVR. Mine is single tuner, so can't watch another channel while recording either. Since I got my Youview box, I've not use the hard drive for any recording at all, although it is used to pause live TV, if I have to for any reason.
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    i have an LG Smart. In answer to you question no it is not possible to record Now TV.

The new-ish Now TV Smart box has a "30 minute live-pause buffer" so you can delay Now TV content within the buffer but it still isn't a record function, as such.

The older Smart TV apps cannot do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport