I want to leave TalkTalk, do I need to give notice?

Options
Fortyfoot
Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 October 2016 at 6:10PM in Broadband & internet access
I have just got an email from TT as follows
"Your Value Line Rental is coming to an end on 20 October 2016
Last year you saved money by paying for your line rental upfront - you’re now coming to the end of that year and it’s time to renew. The great news is that you can save even more money: save 10% when you renew your Value Line Rental for the next 12 months, or save 15% when you renew for 18 months."

Can I move to a new provider after 20th October or do I have to give notice. All their website tells me is that I need to ring them!

Fortyfoot

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Without looking at the T&Cs, any time I've been coming to the end of a contract for something, I've had to give 30 days notice.
    I'd normally give the notice 30 days before the contract ended, so 20th September for this one. Call them and start any notice period now.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    I have just got at email from TT as follows
    "Your Value Line Rental is coming to an end on 20 October 2016
    Last year you saved money by paying for your line rental upfront - you’re now coming to the end of that year and it’s time to renew. The great news is that you can save even more money: save 10% when you renew your Value Line Rental for the next 12 months, or save 15% when you renew for 18 months."

Can I move to a new provider after 20th October or do I have to give notice. All their website tells me is that I need to ring them!
    If you want to a new ISP all you have to do is pick a new ISP deal and sign up to it after the 20th October. Nowadays the ISP you are moving to handles the transfer and you don't need to contact the ISP you are leaving at all.

Your old ISP will be informed of the impending transfer, send you a letter letting you know that a transfer has been started and arrange a final bill if anything needs paying.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    As wongataa said. You just pick your new ISP and they will arrange everything. A switch normally takes 2 weeks so depending on TalkTalks T&C you may be liable for a charge equivalent to 2 weeks missed notice but may not. If you transferred from BT for example its 4 weeks to terminate or 2 weeks for a switch so there are no charges, TT may be the same.

Keep checking your email/post. You should get notification from TT within a couple of days of you contacting the new ISP. Keep all comms from them (record any phone calls if you can). TT have form for continuing to bill after migration and then claiming total ignorance.

Dont phone TT to give notice. TT are !!!!!. If you do that they will close the account and you will incur a £40 cease charge. You will be without phone or BB until your new ISP takes over and you will also get a re-connection charge from them.
  • Fortyfoot
    Options
    Thanks for the above, much appreciated. I heard on the news this morning that TT were going to issue new contracts to all their customers, may be to tie them in. Best to leave before they do?

In a "chat" with plusnet 2 weeks was mentioned by their Veronica -
    "Veronica:
    2 weeks or 12 working days before your contract with TalkTalk ends."

I feel easier now. Thanks.

Fortyfoot
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad you're sorted.

But remember to get your new ISP to handle the changeover. Do not cancel anything with TT until both your Broadband and phone are with the new ISP.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Fortyfoot,

You'd have to give us 30 days' notice if you want to cancel. Please get in touch with us on Twitter (@TalkTalk) or on our Online Community if you need any help with this.

Thanks,
    Becky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2016 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Hi Fortyfoot,

You'd have to give us 30 days' notice if you want to cancel.

Thanks,
    Becky

They are switching not cancelling, led by the gaining provider, who gives you 14 days notice
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • dazzh
    dazzh Posts: 27 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check your contract with TalkTalk as you may have signed up for an 18 month contract but initially paid upfront for 12 months line rental.

If its an 18 month contract you will still have 6 months left so leaving TT may incur a termination fee.

If it was a 12 month contract you are free to move to another provider.
  • Fortyfoot
    Options
    dazzh wrote: »
    Check your contract with TalkTalk as you may have signed up for an 18 month contract but initially paid upfront for 12 months line rental.

If its an 18 month contract you will still have 6 months left so leaving TT may incur a termination fee.

If it was a 12 month contract you are free to move to another provider.
    No mention of 18 months in emails, just 12 months which was paid upfront. I cannot see any mention of contract length on the website in my account.

Fortyfoot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport