Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Elinore
    • By Elinore 27th Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 234Thanks
    Completion day – Damage to house !!
    • 27th Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    Completion day – Damage to house !! 27th Sep 16 at 2:59 PM
    We completed at 12.00 - However the seller’s removals had not turned up so they were still camped out in the house.

As we are not moving in today this was not an issue at all. The agent was aware we were not moving in but the sellers were flapping.

We then got a call from our solicitors that the seller’s removals had dropped a sofa from the top floor down three floors (it’s a town house with a large garden/ balcony on the roof)

Apparently it’s damaged every wall in the stair well from the top floor to the ground and smashed a hole though the bottom plasterboard wall where it had gathered quite a bit of momentum.

The removals have supplied their insurer’s details but have advised we need to claim through ours and then theirs will reimburse.

We do have insurance on the new house but I am really reluctant to make a claim on a policy that’s less than a week old, has a £250 excess and will affect our claims history.

OH is legging it down there now to take photos and meet the removals men, get details, names, number and even vehicle registration just in case.

The sellers are saying its our house, so our problem.... that cant be the case? They damaged it so it must be down to them or their contractors to put it right?
    Last edited by Elinore; 27-09-2016 at 3:01 PM.
Page 2
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 12th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    I'm sorry to hear this isn't resolved yet. I think I would have accepted the £500. If the damage is a fist size hole in plasterboard plus dinks up and down the stairs I can't see the repair costing more than this. Have you had a quote from a decorator or handyman?

Not sure what you mean by not wanting cash but wanting the repair done ... it's unlikely an insurer would send a man along - they would much more likely give a cash amount following quotes.

I think you're best selecting your own tradesman and using the cash they've offered you to pay somebody who you deem suitable/who you trust to do the job. Or take the money and do it yourself.

At this point paying for more legal letters may end up costing you a pretty penny not to mention the stress you're continuing to feel.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 3,287 Thanks
    We reiterated that we are not looking for a cash settlement but the damage actually repaired.
    Originally posted by Elinore
    That's not a good idea.

If the seller agrees, they may be tempted to find the cheapest tradesman they can - who might do a botch job. Then the arguments will continue.

It's much more sensible for you to get quotes from tradesmen of your choice, and then claim a monetary amount from the seller.

If necessary, you can go on to claim that amount through the small claims court.

Whichever way you go, it's unlikely that you can reclaim any legal costs from the seller - so be careful about incurring solicitors fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,120Posts Today

6,720Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin