Options

Comments

• TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Property.

Have a look at David Buik's guest column in Money, page 3, Sunday Times 28th August 2016.

"What I should have done was to buy another property and rent it out."

And I can confirm a flat bought for £200k in 1998 is worth £840k, according to Zoopla. Don't forget the rent for the last 18 years.

I should have gone to Berlin, I hear it's gone up by a factor pf ten for similar time scale.

200k in 1998 is equivalent to 328k in today's terms, accounting for inflation.

Turning 328k to 840k in 18 years requires a return of 5.4% pa. above inflation hardly impressive.

Yes you can include the rent, but then have to subtract maintenance, time spent manage, illiquidity, etc.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TheTracker wrote: »
    200k in 1998 is equivalent to 328k in today's terms, accounting for inflation.

Turning 328k to 840k in 18 years requires a return of 5.4% pa. above inflation hardly impressive.

Yes you can include the rent, but then have to subtract maintenance, time spent manage, illiquidity, etc.

It simply answers this question:
    lippy1923 wrote: »
    How did you make your first mill? Any tips for a millionaire wannabe?

Not competing against some other secret formula you may or may not want to share.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    [/SIZE][/FONT]Is there any loophole to avoid paying tax?

Buy To Let had a golden age.

The mortgage interest is deductible against rental income, so if you were in the 40% tax bracket, that was how much you saved.
    When it comes to sell, you pay 28% on capital gains, not 40%, like on "earned" income.

It all seems rather unfair, really. If your "earn" it, you get taxed at 40%, but if you just buy something, then sell it, you pay 28%.
    But then, higher rate CGT is now 20%, for non-property gains.
    So the tax regime is rewarding people with money.

Oh dear, did I start another communist revolution? Oops. :eek:
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    im not in the higher tax bracket as I only earn between 32k and 35k a year, but I pay a lot of tax, NI and council tax which im not happy about.
    and im trying my best to find ways to avoid paying this
    What happens if you push this button?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    im not in the higher tax bracket as I only earn between 32k and 35k a year, but I pay a lot of tax, NI and council tax which im not happy about.

The government offers various tax breaks to incentivise people to do what it would like them to do, particularly around investments.

So, you can be in a position where you have a decent amount of savings and an even larger amount of shares or dividend-producing investment funds without paying tax on the income and/or on a reasonable amount of investment gains each year. And to encourage people to invest for their futures, the government offers tax wrappers such as ISAs and pensions to allow people to avoid or defer tax which they would otherwise have had to pay.

To pay low effective rates of tax, maximise all your allowances. If you don't like paying NI, ask if you can receive a larger pension contribution or a company car instead of cash in your bank account. If you don't like paying income tax, put the money in a pension or VCT or give it away to charity rather than receiving and spending it.

Nobody likes paying tax, but if there is an option to avoid it (eg by putting decent amounts of your income into a pension) and you say you don't want to do something like that, then it is your fault that you're not getting the tax reduction, not ours.

For council tax, you can reduce it by living on your own (single occupancy discount) or living with multiple other people (splitting the fixed cost multiple ways). For road tax, you can drive a car with smaller engine or one with lower pollution. For tobacco or alcohol or fuel duty, or vat or customs duty, simply consume less.

The table here might give some insight as to which taxes have relief available.

http://taxsimplificationblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/finance-act-2015-new-tax-reliefs/
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

A Sir Philip Green wannabe?

I am very happy with the dustbin collection. The Police is something I will miss if they weren't there.

I just object to 40%, which is just greedy. I will be paying 10% CGT, 7.5% dividend, and 20% on interest this year, which I don't grumble about.
  • AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is we have different types of tax in this country and more than half of the income goes in paying that.
    half of my income goes paying income tax, NI and Council tax how can I avoid that?

I've got some REALLY good news for you.

Salary = £35,000
    Tax free allowance = £11,000
    NI Threshold = £8,060
    Income Tax = 20% * (35,000 - 11,000) = £4,800
    NI = (35,000 - 8,060) * 12% =£3,232.80
    Council tax = £1,500 (just guessing)

Total tax = £4,800 + £3,232.80 + £1,500 = £9,532.80

% of income = £9,532.80 / £35,000 = 27.2%

Congratulations! You now pay much, much less than 50% tax.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned indirect taxation. The insurance premium tax on the lorry that delivers your goods etc etc etc Little hidden things that together add up to a lot.
    As I recall, Sir Geoffrey Howe started the craze for reducing income tax and replacing it with stealth taxes, which successive Chancellors have built on.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    On CNBC today was a story about Ronald Read, a janitor in Canada.

Sadly he passed away aged 92, but it was then discovered he had amassed a fortune to the tune of £6,000,000!

Goes to show you don't need to be an expert financier or the help of an advisor to become a multi-millionaire.

Easy innit!

Cheers fj

You've all missed my point, probably my fault

The point is ANYONE can become a millionaire WITHOUT costly advice from an advisor. You just need to apply yourself because it isn't difficult. It's the 'experts' that make it sound difficult to put people off trying to learn a little and then get on with it, after all it's not exactly rocket science is it. Cheers fj
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You've all missed my point, probably my fault
    The point is ANYONE can become a millionaire WITHOUT costly advice from an advisor. You just need to apply yourself because it isn't difficult. It's the 'experts' that make it sound difficult to put people off trying to learn a little and then get on with it, after all it's not exactly rocket science is it. Cheers fj

How do you know he didn't have an advisor? Lots of things aren't rocket science if you're prepared to do the work, so for some it's worthwhile but others would prefer to have someone else do advise.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure