Mis sold holiday uk

Options
Dogsneck
Dogsneck Posts: 9 Forumite
Looking for some help please if possible, My wife and i booked a cottage in eype dorset last year to holiday in this year, Looking at the owners website description sounded great just what we wanted, The website or the owners of the cottage failed to tell us it was a shared occupancy/garden, To our horror there was a huge building in the back garden fifty feet long thirty feet wide with someone living there, I only noticed it fully after a walk down what bit of garden there was and noticed pictures inside, blinds and a telephone line, We didnt go in the garden after this and cut our holiday short, Phoned the owners of the cottage today about a refund, Told them we were misled, His answer was there is no building in the garden with anyone living there, Well thats strange i said considering there was a dog outside and a man watching tv inside,, He was in absolute denial that the building was there, Im sure you will see it on google earth this building is there in the back garden,,,,(honeysuckle cottage eype dorset),,,,Also this cottage goes under a different name on trip adviser,,,,, Question is who do i contact or speak to about getting a refund. Spoke to owners but refuse refund,,,,,,,,,Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Alice_Walker
    Options
    Did you take pictures of the building, are you sure you weren't on someone else's land? What name does it go under on TripAdvisor?

The problem you have is that you didn't contact the owner whilst you were there. I'm also not sure why this would make you pack up and come home, it seems an overreaction. I think you're going to struggle to get any recourse with this.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Dogsneck wrote: »
    Looking for some help please if possible, My wife and i booked a cottage in eype dorset last year to holiday in this year, Looking at the owners website description sounded great just what we wanted, The website or the owners of the cottage failed to tell us it was a shared occupancy/garden, To our horror there was a huge building in the back garden fifty feet long thirty feet wide with someone living there, I only noticed it fully after a walk down what bit of garden there was and noticed pictures inside, blinds and a telephone line, We didnt go in the garden after this and cut our holiday short, Phoned the owners of the cottage today about a refund, Told them we were misled, His answer was there is no building in the garden with anyone living there, Well thats strange i said considering there was a dog outside and a man watching tv inside,, He was in absolute denial that the building was there, Im sure you will see it on google earth this building is there in the back garden,,,,(honeysuckle cottage eype dorset),,,,Also this cottage goes under a different name on trip adviser,,,,, Question is who do i contact or speak to about getting a refund. Spoke to owners but refuse refund,,,,,,,,,Thanks in advance.

Was it necessary to cut your holiday short? How long should you have stayed and how long did you stay? Could you have tried to contact the owners while you were still there? And how long have you been home from your holiday?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/dorset/eype-honeysuckle-cottage

scroll through to pictures 9 and 11.

whereabouts in the garden is the building you mention?

Google shows such a building in a garden with a wall at the bottom.
    Next door has a fence on top of a wall at the bottom. The building seems to be on the boundary with windows overlooking the garden next door. Which is Honeysuckle cottage?
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    In the reviews from the link in Sheramber's post, several mention the owners in a way that implies they are local to the cottage. OP, is this the case? Did you ask them about the other building while you were there? Could it be where the owners live?
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/dorset/eype-honeysuckle-cottage

scroll through to pictures 9 and 11.

whereabouts in the garden is the building you mention?

Google shows such a building in a garden with a wall at the bottom.
    Next door has a fence on top of a wall at the bottom. The building seems to be on the boundary with windows overlooking the garden next door. Which is Honeysuckle cottage?

You can see a bungalow structure at the bottom of the lawn area in picture 9. On the official website for the property it looks like this is in the next door garden's area, past where a fence should be (but is not erected) in Honeysuckle cottage as it past the end of the adjoining property fence in picture 21.
    http://www.eypehoneysucklecottage.co.uk/gallery.htm

I think that OP went onto the neighbours land, assuming that it was part of Honeysuckle Cottage due to the lack of fence.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2016 at 10:34AM
    Options

I cannot see where it states that the garden is not overlooked by any other houses and if I am correct and the garden formed part of Honeysuckle cottage and not the neighbours property then I can't see how you were missold a holiday. You should have contacted the owners as soon as you thought there was an issue and it may well have been resolved by them explaining where the garden boundary was for the property and by reassuring you that the garden was not shared by the neighbours. A quick look at the website shows that the owners list their address as one in Eype so they could have popped areound to sort all this out.
  • Dogsneck
    edited 17 August 2016 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Yes we did take pictures, My wife also phoned the owners whilst we were there and told us someone lived there, Ive recently spoke to the owner and is now denying theres at building in the back garden,
    On trip adviser the name of the cottage is EYPEH, Dorset here you will see pictures of the building,
  • Dogsneck
    edited 17 August 2016 at 1:50PM
    Options
    susancs, Pictures 9 and 11 is the building that occupies most of the garden, its not the cottage, that building is level with the boudary and they have made a small fence to make it look as if its a seperate building, This is where the owners are being crafty because as you all see it it looks as if that building is the cottage, I will emphasis that is what is in the whole of the back garden. its not the cottage,
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes we did take pictures, My wife also phoned the owners whilst we were there and told us someone lived there, Ive recently spoke to the owner and is now denying theres at building in the back garden,
    On trip adviser the name of the cottage is EYPEH, Dorset here you will see pictures of the building,

You'd do far better giving this review on TripAdvisor and justifying it with your own pics.

If I see/understand it your issue is that either next door (or adjoining) cottage has windows overlooking the garden

For context is the second blue door on pic 10 the entrance/front door to the other cottage ?
  • Dogsneck
    Options
    k3lvc this is what makes it hard to explain, owners have played it crafty, the building you can see on the pictures is actually the building in the garden not the cottage, Waiting for review to be published still pending on T,A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure