We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Be warned - instagram scammer "manchester_replica_products" selling fake goods

Options
susyq41
susyq41 Posts: 34 Forumite
Sadly too many Internet Trolls on this site

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wait, this is great advice, don't trust anyone who sells fake watches. Who knew?:mad:
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,400 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 July 2016 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Seriously, you are surprised that a criminal has tried to cheat you?

Reminds me of a Facebook scam I posted about on here a couple of years back.

Scammer was selling branded goods , Michael Kors handbags and was upfront about them being very good copies. People paid and of course he never delivered but to add insult to injury came back onto Facebook crowing that the victims couldn't even go to the police as they would have to admit to breaking the law by buying fake goods.

Unfortunately people who are happy to break the law are unlike.y to have any morals with cheating others.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • susyq41
    edited 19 July 2016 at 8:59AM
    Options
  • susyq41
    edited 19 July 2016 at 8:59AM
    Options
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Op I think you are missing the point. Your son handed over money to buy a fake watch. The buyer and seller in this case are deserving of one another.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anybody willing to hand over money for a fake item and, worse still, from Instagram (which is not a marketplace or shop of any sort) isn't going to bother checking for any warnings.

People should know better than to buy fakes or trust a complete stranger online (especially one clearly already breaking the law).
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    susyq41 wrote: »
    RFW
    My main advice was to steer clear of this individual.. It was my son that paid him the money without my knowledge and no doubt many other youngsters who use Instagram may be tempted.

If you don't care, then you seriously have too much time on your hands if you felt the need to comment.
    You're welcome. I'm not sure how many young people on Instagram are willing to break the law and knowingly buy counterfeit or stolen goods.

I'd be wary of informing the police, you might want to check your son wasn't also breaking the law by knowingly buying a counterfeit item.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do they sell stuff on Instangram?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Just tell the police.

Then the police can arrest your son for knowlingly buying fake goods and then hopefully go after the person who has his money.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Do they sell stuff on Instangram?

Anyone can post on Instagram and have advertising copy next to their posts. Instagram can't police this, unless reported to them as illegal. Even then they are unlikely to do anything about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure