Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 78
    • jk0
    • By jk0 14th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 21,059 Thanks
    jk0
    I had my scalpel stolen so often that I got one of those little rotary tools and engraved my name into the scalpel handle and anything else that I could engrave with it, I used to paint little designs on everything that could not just be wiped clean.
    Originally posted by culpepper
    Just hoping Culpepper isn't a surgeon.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 14th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    culpepper
    Just hoping Culpepper isn't a surgeon.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Haha No it was art type stuff. I can see what you mean though, sounds a bit creepy to think of a colleague making do with a craft knife after that thought.
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 14th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 15,460 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Hi Vanoonoo - hope things are good with you!
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 14th Oct 16, 5:05 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    yes thanks all good - changed jobs a couple of times in the past 20months and my husband changed his in March this year, so life has been hectic but safe and warm and dry. If I can rely on getting online at work before or after my shifts I shall look forward to catching up on preps with you all. I had a message from MSEAndrea telling me that the old thread had acheived in excess of 2 million views, that's quite something considering how much opposition there was to it from some, THANK YOU to all you wonderful contributors for keeping it alive (or living dead? )

After moving house in 2013 I missed my open fire and pantry terribly and struggled to continue my preps in the same way but I have a fresh approach and renewed vigour now - next mission is a camper van type vehicle!

So what's been going on around here then?
    Last edited by vanoonoo; 14-10-2016 at 5:09 PM.
    Blah
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 198,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Wa-hey, it's VANOONOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to 'see' you again. Your thread-baby just won't rest quietly, it's always up to something.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 14th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    And I wasn't even here to cause trouble
    Blah
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 198,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    And I wasn't even here to cause trouble
    Originally posted by vanoonoo
    Not good enough. Must. Try. Harder.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 8,727 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Preppers keeping quiet this weekend? I keep eyeing up the crab apples on the tree, waiting for them to be red enough to pick and turn into crab apple jelly and liqueurs. Soon, my pretties, soon......
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 16th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 13,280 Posts
    • 122,592 Thanks
    mardatha
    Am reading about nutrition and life expectancy in mid Victorian times and how it matches ours today, if you take out the infant mortality, epidemic, and childbirth death rates. They worked much harder and consumed a lot more calories and those calories were mainly healthy veg - and far more nourishing than today's chemically-enhanced offerings.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 8,727 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Whichever bit of healthy eating advice you hear, it all comes down to the same basic principle. Fresh, natural foods, processed as little as possible, and a wide variety of different foods eaten throughout the day.

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 8,727 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    And don't keep shovelling more calories down your neck than you use.

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • maryb
    • By maryb 16th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    maryb
    and move as part of everyday activities
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 8,727 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    And get to bed at a sensible time. Ooh, we're on a roll here, look out for the next Booker Prize winner, The OS Preppers' Guide to Healthy Living!

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • jk0
    • By jk0 16th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 21,059 Thanks
    jk0
    Free Motoring
    Recently I came up with an idea for anyone with an electric car that does less than 80 miles per week. (Not many I'm sure, but it might suit a retired person like my mother.)

Have you noticed the British Gas offer for free electricity on Saturdays or Sundays from 9am to 5pm? That would be adequate for one full charge, which would otherwise cost about £2.
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 16th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    ailz95
    Hi

I'd like to join please. No great skills - except cross-stitch which I don't think would be very useful. I'm disabled in my 60s and hubby is my keeper - sorry carer.

We're in an odd position where we're living rent free at my mother-in-laws. We moved in with her in 2013 when she could no longer live alone and seemed to be 'on her last legs'. Well she's 95 now and still on 'em. Her mind is off on the astral plain enjoying itself most of the time and only visits her body occasionally - but she's happy. The thing is that neither of us are gardeners, yet here we are living on 6.5 acres of land, in a house which needs a lot of money spending on it, and isn't in an area where we'd like to be living.

If things go pear shaped - you can come and live on our land!!
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 16th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 26,950 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Welcome aboard, ailz95! Your intro somehow conjures up pictures of a somewhat older Darling Buds of May in my mind... what you need is a tax inspector to call, and stay, and help you with the land!
    Angie

GC 09/16 - £519.18/£520 GC 10/16 - £548.92/£500 GC Nov 16 - £536.73/£520
    GC 12/16 - £198.50/£550- now feeding 4 adults, 2 cats, 2 cockatiels and 11 chickens

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 16th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    ailz95
    Hubby hit 65 last January and started getting his pension. We went from ESA including Income Support - on which we'd struggled for years - to having enough money. I have fibro and chronic fatigue and doctors have said there is nothing they can do bar give me stronger pain killers - not many to go up to now. My GP referred me to a neurologist in April for tremors in my hands, but I've not heard anything yet - I suppose I should chase it up.

I've found that if I wear one of those belts that weightlifters wear I can stand long enough to pu t-bags in cups and so on for hubby to brew up.

I'll join the guillotine crew - though I'll cross-stitch rather than knit!!
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 16th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    Doveling
    Ashamed to say I have been panic buying.

Think I've bought enough Marmite to last for the rest of my life.
    Love the stuff but a little goes a long way, so yep, 3 jars

Jko - I'm using free leccy courtesy of BG and doing all my major washing and drying on Sundays. (Beds stripped etc)
    Plus I batch cook for the freezer and the rest of the week while I'm doing the Sunday roast.

It doesn't matter that it's only till 5pm, as after that lot I just need to lie down in a darkened room

Hi, ailz95
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    maryb
    Remember the Daily Express doing the usual forecast about a hard winter a week or so ago? (It's the autumn equivalent of the first cuckoo in spring!)

Bit in the paper today about the Met Office new supercomputer helping them to forecast the North Atlantic Oscillation a bit more accurately. From what I can gather, our winter weather is driven by the interaction of the NAO with the El Nino/La Nina cycle.

Right down the end of the article it finally said what they expect it to do this year - cooler and drier.

So not exactly snowmageddon! Nonetheless, I will increase the stocks a bit so I don't have to go out in bad weather, since my main concern these days is to avoid falls - even with osteoporosis, if you don't fall, you don't tend to fracture.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    • 13,280 Posts
    • 122,592 Thanks
    mardatha
    Not liking the sound of "colder" ... your cold is my intense cold up here. I need to start panic buying. I need to get the energy to panic first lol.
    My winter preps are going to include a hospital stay I think - another night of pain with gallstones, it finally eased at 5am. Maybe pack a hospital bag just in case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

2,783Users online

Martin's Twitter