Dress - First time in wash, colour has run. Return?

Options
Purchased a black dress with light coloured flower pattern. I always wash new clothes before wearing. I washed on a hand wash (dress says 40) and the black has made all the flowers a grubby grey. It looks awful and nothing like the original pattern. Can I return it for a refund? Thanks

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    If you have followed the washing instructions then you should be able to return it. Whether you get a refund is not so clear.

Why do you wash before wearing?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd suggest trying, you have nothing to lose.

Problem is there is no evidence that you didn't wash it on too high or too harsh a cycle, or with something else dark that has run its colours rather than the dress.

If this is a large retailer, they should probably be interested in what has happened in case others have the same issue.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have followed the washing instructions then you should be able to return it. Whether you get a refund is not so clear.

Because you have no idea who has tried on the clothes before you or what their hygiene is like.

Friend of mine had to return a pair of jeans that looked fine on the outside but the insides.....it looked like someone had worn them for a week solid while menstruating.

One of the many reasons I too wash all new clothes before wearing.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    sherbie28 wrote: »
    Purchased a black dress with light coloured flower pattern. I always wash new clothes before wearing. I washed on a hand wash (dress says 40) and the black has made all the flowers a grubby grey. It looks awful and nothing like the original pattern. Can I return it for a refund? Thanks

If you opt for a replacement (given repair wont be possible given nature of the fault), the fault is assumed to be inherent and its for the retailer to prove its not (that its misuse for example).

However if you want to exercise the short term right to reject (ie refund within 30 days of purchase) there is no assumption about the fault so you might have to prove it was inherent before you'd be entitled to a refund.

Speak to the store though - I've found some are great with returns and others not so much!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    Because you have no idea who has tried on the clothes before you or what their hygiene is like.

Friend of mine had to return a pair of jeans that looked fine on the outside but the insides.....it looked like someone had worn them for a week solid while menstruating.

One of the many reasons I too wash all new clothes before wearing.

That's awful, some people are disgusting.:eek:

Never thought to wash items before though.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    What about giving it one more wash?
    It may have been an excess of the initial dye?
    A second wash might see it looking right?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Why do you not, would be a fairer question.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a similar issue with a dress - it was red with white polka dots and the first time it was washed the red dye ran and the polka dots turned pink. I contacted the company explaining what had happened, that I had deliberately washed it on a cooler wash than recommended with a gentle detergent, and after returning the dress they agreed to refund me the cost price plus what I'd paid in return postage. They said they hadn't had any other problems but that particular dress was removed from the website shortly after so I think there was a more general issue. It's worth contacting the company as it's unlikely you're the only one with a problem.
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Why do you not, would be a fairer question.

As I said it has never occurred to me to wash clothes before wearing and not something I'm aware of being done.

• sherbie28
    sherbie28 Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    I've tried a second wash, it's slightly better but still looks mucky. I ordered two sizes and still have the bigger one and on comparison there's a massive difference colour wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure