Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remain
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I see the FTSE has recovered. Back to where it was a week ago and the pound will get you 1.23 euro.

Yet the BBC website is still running with a hysteria generating "Pound plunges after EU Leave vote" and "Business Live : Markets in Turmoil"
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yet the BBC website is still running with a hysteria generating "Pound plunges after EU Leave vote" and "Business Live : Markets in Turmoil"

Should say European stock markets in turmoil.
    Stock markets on the continent fared worse amid the prospect of the UK, a country currently making up one sixth of total EU output, leaving the bloc.
    Germany's Dax was down 6.8% and France's Cac 40 8% off at the close
    The Ibex in Spain shed 12.4% while Italy's Mib was also more than 12% lower.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    Zola. wrote: »
    That's not what a democracy is. If the result was remain the Brexiters wouldn't get a second referendum, neither should, nor will remain.

Oh I'm not saying I agree with it. I just can't see the establishment letting this go. It could be the death of the euro project.
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    Remain
    Short term effect for me.... Dollars cost a lot more than they should.

Thankfully I'm not going to the US for about 8 weeks, by which point I expect the £ to rebound to pretty much where it was so that I don't have to spend anything extra. Looked dicey this morning though, where it was looking like an extra £600 or so :eek:

Longer term I expect a slowdown in the UK economy, but not to any great extent. I do however think that NI will take a bigger hit than some of the areas in England who voted leave. On the upside, that will make the monkeys on the hill actually have to formulate a strategy that will benefit everyone and hopefully from there the green/orange issues will start to die the death they require. That way we can be like the rest of the EU and have 'normal' first world problems.

Water meters anyone?
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Leave
    I was surprised and very pleased with the result. Had the EU stayed as purely a trading treaty I would have been pleased to remain. It was the interference in member countries laws and the narcissistic attitude of Brussels that caused the leave result.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remain
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I see the FTSE has recovered. Back to where it was a week ago and the pound will get you 1.23 euro.

FTSE100 recovered. FTSE250 still tanked.

Its been mentioned many places, there is the initial plunge, the recovery as people pile back in on sound stocks, then comes the period where the markets actually give a logically thought out reaction. I imagine it will still be a downward move over the next few years.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leave
    Its funny now the vote is over its like "Did that really happen? " and "Oh s**t, what are we going to do now"
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its the day after Armageddon, people are still in shock. :eek:

Going by some newspapers leaders of some other EU countries are telling the UK to go now just get out. Nasty divorce comes to mind.
  • oldhand
    oldhand Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Its the day after Armageddon, people are still in shock. :eek:

Going by some newspapers leaders of some other EU countries are telling the UK to go now just get out. Nasty divorce comes to mind.

I think the heads of EU will want a very fast exit,they will be worried about rumblings in other EU countries who may also decide they may want out....
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remain
    EU are right to do so.

If the majority of voters wanted to be out then that's what they should get as soon as possible. Why wait four months to start the negotiations?

Let the punishment roll, it's what we voted for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure