Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Water Bills > Can you get a water meter, removed? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can you get a water meter, removed?
Closed Thread
Views: 19,340
# 1
caz1965
Old 06-09-2007, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can you get a water meter, removed?

I have lived in my house, for nearly 12 years (it was a new housing association house) and we have always had a meter fitted.
i am separating from my husband, and will be stuck on benefits, for a while, till i get myself sorted.
Is there any way I can have the meter removed? The bill is in both names. I am frightened of not being able to cope with finances, and would like to have a fixed weekly amount to pay each week.
thanks for any help.
# 2
Rikki
Old 06-09-2007, 1:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You are better off with a water meter than water rates.

You cannot go from water meter to water rates. Sorry.
£2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
NPFM 21
# 3
Rikki
Old 06-09-2007, 1:33 PM

I don't pay any of my bills by direct debit, but I know how much I need to budget for each month.

Add last years two water bills together (you get two a year) and divide by 12. That will tell you how much you need to put aside each month. Probably slightly less as you have one less adult in the house.

Don't panic! If you deal with each thing, one at a time, you can work your way through it.
£2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
NPFM 21
# 4
dora37
Old 25-09-2007, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Once a meter is fitted it will not be removed. Contact your water company as some do payment plans where you can pay an agreed fixed amount.
# 5
PasturesNew
Old 25-09-2007, 7:23 PM

I'd imagine at 12 years old, the place was built with the meter already installed.

No, you can't choose to go onto water rates.

The only way you can go from a meter to rates is if YOU had the meter fitted within the last year and YOU want it swapping back. If you had it fitted and moved out the next day the next person can't

One person on a water meter - bills are miniscule. I used to have water rates at £68/month (4 years ago) - went onto a meter and after 4 years had got the bill down to £8/month. And that was with South West Water (priciest company in England)
# 6
Psykicpup
Old 20-10-2007, 2:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Firstly Caz1965 dont worry!

Being on a water meter means you only pay for the water you use & being a single person household now means your water bill will drop I should imagine.

What you need to do is call your water company & explain the situation.
1)Ask them to remove your husbands name from the account- they may just change the name or close your joint account & reset you a new one in just your name.
2)Then ask them to set you a payment plan to pay weekly based on the average costs for a single person until you have a few readings showing the new lower usage

i'm sure you wont be the 1st person they have done this for.
I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19
Closed Thread