Too Sick To Work, cant claim Esa

Options

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    I understand. I have a 3 week old!

Yes he earns too much for WTC but you should still be getting CTC. As on PIP you can also get help with childcare.

Call them and go through all your circumstances to make sure they have everything up to date.

They may get some WTC if they start claiming for childcare?

OP - have you told tax credits about the childcare costs?

IQ
  • sagethecat
    Options
    Hi all, i tried to call DWP yesterday on my lunch break, they told me I have to call back once the changes are in place, change of childcare supplier and cost, plus change to my employment and earnings. I thought I could do this up to 10 days before, maybe I am wrong, anywhoo I will call them next week once the changes are in place and go through all the details they have and makesure they are up to date. I think I may get some help towards childcare, but to be honest I dont have any faith in The Tax credit dept as they have got them wrong from the beginning. So who knows??
    CAb said I would get something like 0.68p in WTC ??? Best rule that one out then.
    Wow darksparkle, a 3 week old, how lovely...and tiring all roled into one. ��
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    As you're not entitled to ESA you need to consider how best to manage your monthly income.

It looks like you are in receipt of the following:

A monthly wage of £1,453.93
    PIP of £605.58
    Tax credits (no idea)
    Child benefit £89.70 per month

Total: £2,147 per month plus (possibly) tax credits.

As you are struggling you need to look at how you can cut back on your outgoings as that's not an insignificant amount of money for two adults and a child.

Head over to the Old Style board for help and support on managing your income. Also, debt free wannabe, if you have any debts.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    As you're not entitled to ESA you need to consider how best to manage your monthly income.

It looks like you are in receipt of the following:

A monthly wage of £1,453.93
    PIP of £605.58
    Tax credits (no idea)
    Child benefit £89.70 per month

Total: £2,147 per month plus (possibly) tax credits.

As you are struggling you need to look at how you can cut back on your outgoings as that's not an insignificant amount of money for two adults and a child.

Head over to the Old Style board for help and support on managing your income. Also, debt free wannabe, if you have any debts.

Potentially £65 per week in tax credits but depends on 2015/16 income.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Potentially £65 per week in tax credits but depends on 2015/16 income.

Potentially another £281 a month taking the total to £2,428. Not a bad income at all.
  • NLW
    NLW Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand how you could claim higher rate PIP but not be able to claim ESA But with over 2k a month is more than a lot of family's earn. So better budgeting might be in order.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NLW wrote: »
    I don't understand how you could claim higher rate PIP but not be able to claim ESA

If you haven't paid enough NI contributions to claim contribution based ESA, then you have to claim the means tested version.

If the income in a household is too high, you're not entitled to means tested ESA.

It's nothing to do with whether you are ill or not.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a 3 week old!

Congratulations, Darksparkle!:T
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Congratulations, Darksparkle!:T

Thank you! :j
  • sagethecat
    sagethecat Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2016 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Its the system thats not right, they can give me more than enough points to allow me higher rate PIP, but not ESA how does that figure.

Please, please remember that PIP is intended to help those who who have living and mobility needs. This is not an income. I use this money for use of a car and help at home, due to my disabilities.

We do not get any working tax credits.

The fact still remains I have fallen through the cracks in the system because I tried soooo hard to work, when I didnt have to, held on for as long as possible, and did the right thing.

When i called DWP as I was astonished I could not get contributions ESA all I was asked was if my husband works more than 24 hours a week, nothing to do with how much he earns, I queried this with them, and told he needs to be on a low income or working less than 24 hours.

I do appreciate everyone advice, but I am asking for help regarding being too ill for work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure