Refund onto credit card and DRO

Options
I am currently applying for a DRO. My credit card accounts have been frozen and cannot be used. I bought a washing machine on one of the credit cards over a year ago from Homebase/Argos. It had problems from the start and has been repaired twice and replaced once, all under the guarantee, then it broke down again. They said to me i had the option of repair or i could give it back and get a refund. I told them my situation with the credit card and that they wouldn't be able to refund me back onto it because i would loose the money and not be able to buy another one. I was told that it would be fine for them to issue me a cheque instead. So i agreed for the refund. They collected the washing machine and then i called to get the refund issued, then i was told that it would have to go back on my card i bought it with. I explained the situation and what i had been told. I had by then spoken to the credit card company who said i would loose the money because it would go onto the account but i could not use the card and so not to do it. I was told by Argos it was not possible to get a cheque, it had to be refunded onto the credit card. Now the manager has said the same. I wouldn't have agreed to a refund if i had known this, it was only because i was told i could get a cheque. I have told them i would be happy for a replacement machine of the same price, so far they are saying no but it is being referred to another manager right now. I just wondered what my rights were with this, anyone know?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2016 at 1:17PM
    Options
    AmyL wrote: »
    I am currently applying for a DRO. My credit card accounts have been frozen and cannot be used. I bought a washing machine on one of the credit cards over a year ago from Homebase/Argos. It had problems from the start and has been repaired twice and replaced once, all under the guarantee, then it broke down again. They said to me i had the option of repair or i could give it back and get a refund. I told them my situation with the credit card and that they wouldn't be able to refund me back onto it because i would loose the money and not be able to buy another one. I was told that it would be fine for them to issue me a cheque instead. So i agreed for the refund. They collected the washing machine and then i called to get the refund issued, then i was told that it would have to go back on my card i bought it with. I explained the situation and what i had been told. I had by then spoken to the credit card company who said i would loose the money because it would go onto the account but i could not use the card and so not to do it. I was told by Argos it was not possible to get a cheque, it had to be refunded onto the credit card. Now the manager has said the same. I wouldn't have agreed to a refund if i had known this, it was only because i was told i could get a cheque. I have told them i would be happy for a replacement machine of the same price, so far they are saying no but it is being referred to another manager right now. I just wondered what my rights were with this, anyone know?
    It seems most surprising to me that Argos would offer a cheque refund.
    Have you anything in writing, perhaps email or text message, confirming that they would give you a cheque?

Can we deduce from this that you bought the appliance using a credit card and have not paid the credit card company back for the purchase?

If so, what is the problem of the refund going directly to the credit card company?
    After all, it is their money, not yours.

What is a DRO?

To address the question in your last sentence...
    At this moment, you have no right to the money.
    With rights come responsibilities.
    You have the responsibility to repay the money you have borrowed from the credit card company.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    It seems most surprising to me that Argos would offer a cheque refund.
    Have you anything in writing, perhaps email or text message, confirming that they would give you a cheque?

Can we deduce from this that you bought the appliance using a credit card and have not paid the credit card company back for the purchase?

If so, what is the problem of the refund going directly to the credit card company?
    After all, it is their money, not yours.

What is a DRO?

To address the question in your last sentence...
    At this moment, you have no right to the money.
    With rights come responsibilities.
    You have the responsibility to repay the money you have borrowed from the credit card company.

Do = Debt Relief Order
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DRO....Debt relief order..

Edit.....Beaten to it lol.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Do = Debt Relief Order
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    DRO....Debt relief order..

Edit.....Beaten to it lol.
    Thanks.

So as the OP does not yet have one, "I am currently applying for a DRO", the OP has no right to that money.
    Is that right?

OP, I would suggest you get help with this debt on The Debt-Free Wannabe Board.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Thanks.

So as the OP does not yet have one, "I am currently applying for a DRO", the OP has no right to that money.
    Is that right?

OP, I would suggest you get help with this debt on The Debt-Free Wannabe Board.

Oh... I see you have posted elsewhere.

Duplicate thread - I'm out.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well if you read the op again you can deduce from it that op doesn't necessarily object to the credit card company having money back - but in doing so op would be in a position where she doesn't have what she deems to be a necessary white good and no ability to buy one if the money is returned to the CC company!
  • wealdroam
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Well if you read the op again you can deduce from it that op doesn't necessarily object to the credit card company having money back - but in doing so op would be in a position where she doesn't have what she deems to be a necessary white good and no ability to buy one if the money is returned to the CC company!
    Yes, I did read that. Thanks.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You bought it with a CC and that's not your money, you didn't pay for it so you haven't lost anything.

Money laundering reasons mean it always goes back to the CC.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Money laundering reasons mean it always goes back to the CC.
    Money laundering has nothing to do with it.

Due diligance checks would have been carried out when the credit cards were applied for and provided that a refund was a crossed cheque made payable to the OP, this refu d would be as traceable as a credit card refund.

The main reasons why retailers prefer refunding back to the origina, payment card are that it usually gets their original credit card fee refunded and it's nice and quick with the payment transfer going out almost instantly.
    With a cheque, someone may wait months before presenting it and if this period crosses over the tax year change, it may result inmore paperwork being required.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »

She might still not have the ability to buy one even if they do refund by cheque. OP said they purchased it over a year ago, so the refund could be reduced to take account of that.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure