Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Snooze Control
    RM Special Delivery "cut off" time???
    • 4th Sep 07, 1:49 AM
    RM Special Delivery "cut off" time??? 4th Sep 07 at 1:49 AM
    Greetings all,

Anyone heard of this Royal Mail Special Delivery "cut off" time, as detailed in my email to RM customer services earlier today, below? :

Dear Sir/Madam

Earlier today I visited my local Post Office (xxxxxxxx PO, xxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxx, xxx xxx) at 4.40pm to send a letter Special Delivery to Hull for delivery tomorrow and insured for 200. Your clerk on duty there today (an elderly gent) refused to process my request for Special Delivery for tomorrow (Tues) because I was apparently "too late for today's deadline". The daily collection at this post office is 5pm according to the post box outside and therefore I could see no reason why my letter should be refused. His argument was that processing a Special Delivery item for delivery the following day takes in excess of 20 mins and therefore I had missed this "deadline".

I have sent Special Delivery items from this Post Office on numerous occasions in the past and the younger clerk (30s) who is normally on duty has never had any issue with processing said items right up to the 5pm collection time (and they always arrive next day).

The clerk said that he would take it and it would go in tomorrows post, ie. to arrive Wednesday, or instead I could go to the central Post Office in xxxxxxxxxxxx as their cut off is 5.30pm. Given that this item had to be at its destination in Hull by tomorrow lunch time I was left with no option but to drive to the central PO and have my letter processed there. I arrived at approx 5.15pm and joined the queue (which was out of door). I eventually made it to the counter a couple of minutes after 5.30pm only to be told yet again that I had missed the deadline! I made my feelings known to your clerk and how this had come about from the incompetence of your clerk at the xxxxxxxx branch but she wouldn't budge and told me that it would now not reach its destination until Wednesday morning, 1pm at the latest.

As this was not acceptable due to me risking losing the business of my client in Hull, I am left with no option but to make the journey over there myself tomorrow which I am extremely annoyed about when this should be a simple task for yourselves.

As there is nothing on your website or in the aforementioned Post Office about Special Delivery "cut off" times 20 minutes before the normal post collection then I feel it is extremely unfair that I (along with my letter) were dealt with in the manner that it was and don't think it is unreasonable of me to ask for compensation for time and fuel costs for the journey I shall have to make tomorrow due to your clerk's actions.

I look forward to receiving your earliest reply (via email if possible please).

Faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxxx

SC
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

806Posts Today

4,843Users online

Martin's Twitter