Nationwide Flexdirect

Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of course the account is the same product whether the interest rate is 5% or 1%

I just ordered landline and broadband from a new supplier. There will be cashback and a gift voucher, making it cheaper overall, but I don't expect to get a different speed of connection.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2016 at 12:01AM
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    But they have been aware of it for over 12 months, see post above yours, second paragraph.

At the risk of repeating myself, nowhere does it state you need to close one before waiting 12 months to open another, and bristolleedsfans post #4 re the secure message supports this.

Not sure how much clearer you need it to be:

If you have previously held a FlexDirect account in the last 12 months, you will not be entitled to the introductory rate

Simple solution, apparent to everyone but you, is to not have the account for the preceding 12 months.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt anyone will be getting 5% by 'mistake' by the time you've finished derrick. Thanks for that.

You will be OK if you follow the T&Cs, (like everyone is saying), and stop trying to manipulate the T&Cs that you know NW are allowing at least 3 years down the line.

Why doesn't their system pick it up when some-one applies for a second one?

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Coming back to my new broadband (apologies, but there is a bit of a parallel), one of the conditions of the cashback via the intermediary was not to have been a customer of the new provider within the previous 12 months.

That's fine for me now, but what of the future? Let's imagine that in a year's time I swap to somewhere else, then in 2 years' time I see another good deal again with the one I'm just swapping to now.

I'd have to be careful not to book the new deal then a few days too early, or I might be only a non customer for 350 to 360 days at either that point or the actual connection date (and would have to check the cashback terms whether the booking or connection date applied for the cashback consideration).

I can foresee this now, but I wonder if someone else in a similar position but a few days earlier might be trying to make a complaint like the OP has here.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...Why doesn't their system pick it up when some-one applies for a second one? .
    Keep complaining and they will change the system so that it does pick up, but ask yourself a question: "Is it really what I want?"
  • derrick
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Keep complaining and they will change the system so that it does pick up, but ask yourself a question: "Is it really what I want?"

Last April after my Flexdirect with the 5% rate finished 12 months earlier, (with my first one still open and running),I phoned NW to ask had I waited the 12 months before I could open another one, I was told yes it is over 12 months, I asked could I now open another one and was told yes,my 2 accounts still showing to the agent, so I opened one, no flags and it took 9 months for them to realise and without informing me, (as they did when a lot opened 3/4 previously),they let February go with just the 1%.

So stop being hypocrites, and adhere to the T&Cs you are telling me to!

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...adhere to the T&Cs you are telling me to!
    That's exactly what I and many other people keep telling you to no avail.

And if you 'adhere to the T&C', there is no point in calling to the CS that can't override the T&C.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or downgrade it, wait 12 months, then upgrade it - which is what I did and its working a treat
    No point doing that when Nationwide give you £70+ every time you switch to a new account...
  • derrick
    Options
    A NW manager has just called me and guess what? I am right, there is no need to close a Flexdirect account, you just need to leave a 12 month gap between the end of the 5% rate and the opening of another.

It turns out that the reason my rate was wrong, was because the agent I spoke to last April when I asked how long I had waited, gave me wrong dates and said I was able to open another one, (which NW allowed me to do). Had he given me the correct dates it would have been September 2015 when I could have opened another 5% rate, and having 2 Flexdirect still running would not have stopped me as there is no need to close down or downgrade the original one.

I have asked the NW manager to email me the facts about these accounts, but in a nutshell this is how works: -

Open a 5% rate, this will last for 12 months, it then drops to 1%, if you then wait 12 months you can open another 5% rate and the original one can still operate during the 12 months @ 1% without the need to do anything with it, and you can have up to 4 accounts open at any/all the time, but you will only receive 5% on 1 account.

If NW email me with details I will post them on here.

• Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2016 at 5:40PM
    Options
    What a load of baloney!

It is very clear that, oh I give up..........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure