Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martin57
    • By martin57 2nd Sep 07, 7:56 PM
    • 769Posts
    • 117Thanks
    martin57
    Getting back off watch to replace battery.
    • 2nd Sep 07, 7:56 PM
    Getting back off watch to replace battery. 2nd Sep 07 at 7:56 PM
    Hi there,

I have a few watches lying around that need replacement batteries but I really dont know how to get back off. I understand you can buy a watchmakers kit on ebay to do this, has anyone used one of them and if its any good to get back off watch,

thanks martin57
Page 1
  • melipona
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:01 PM
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:01 PM
    Many of them are pressed on, you can CAREFULLY use 2 stanly knives to prise the back off, if you need small watchmakers screwdrivers then you may find a local maplins helpful, they also stock the batteries
  • espresso
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:06 PM
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:06 PM
    The better ones have screw backs and the cheaper ones just press on, so no special tools are required.
    Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
    • grownup1
    • By grownup1 2nd Sep 07, 8:09 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    grownup1
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:09 PM
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:09 PM
    The backs of cheap watches can be harder to press back on than to get off in the first place.... We just kept pressing and cursing till it worked! It is worth it though, as you can get a lifetime supply of watch batteries in a pack at pound shops.
    • russ c
    • By russ c 2nd Sep 07, 8:18 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    russ c
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:18 PM
    • 2nd Sep 07, 8:18 PM
    If you look carefully some watchbacks have a tiny gap under them which make it easier to lever them off, i use one of those tiny screwdriver sets to do it. Love those cards of batteries you can get for a pound!
    • jazzy
    • By jazzy 2nd Sep 07, 10:01 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    jazzy
    • 2nd Sep 07, 10:01 PM
    • 2nd Sep 07, 10:01 PM
    I bought a watch back removing tool from this company a few years ago
    http://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/Watch_Tools_Accessories.shtml#AtTheTop
    It works great!
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 3rd Sep 07, 10:06 PM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 3rd Sep 07, 10:06 PM
    • 3rd Sep 07, 10:06 PM
    I once managed to bend the back of a supposedly expensive watch with push-fit back, trying to replace the back. Having a look at that tool website - looks a good find, I need the press!
    Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. –Steve Martin
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 3rd Sep 07, 11:58 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 3rd Sep 07, 11:58 PM
    • 3rd Sep 07, 11:58 PM
    If it's a screw on back with the small indentations round the edge, a pair of long nose pliers will usually undo it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,447Posts Today

6,353Users online

Martin's Twitter