IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Hard wearing cheap carpet
Closed Thread
Views: 50,279
# 1
dotchas
Old 01-09-2007, 9:48 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Hard wearing cheap carpet

Hi,

We have a flat we rent out which is needing recarpeted and we are looking for a cheapish carpet but want to know which type to go for.

For our own house we got 80% wool 20% something else but this is too expensive.

When I bought the flat from the builders many years ago there was carpet throughout ,it would have been a cheap carpet but it lasted ages and ages .I am looking for something similar.Preferably one where we don't need underlay.

Can anyone offer advice on what to look for?

(shame Boots or Tescos don't do carpets )
I love bargains
I love MSE
# 2
startrekker
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There are plenty of cheap felt back carpets on the market. If you go to a large local independent warehouse they tend to buy full rolls of carpets that they can sell at a reduced rate. Polypropelene is the fibre that you want the carpet to be made from, its bleach cleanable, so highly stain resistant, its tough as well so very durable. As a rule of thumb, if its hard to the touch it will wear much better.
:confused: I have nothing better to do!!!!:confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to startrekker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
sooz
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM

startrekker's right, you want to reduce the wool content to make your carpet last longer. Wool makes it feel softer, but wears faster.

100% polypropelene is quite hard to the touch, but does come in some nice looped weaves which don't look as bad as the pure flat stuff. You can scrub it, and bleach it, and it is great for tenants. You wouldn't, however, want to sleep on it!

Don't skimp on underlay though. You need it for the bounce carpet feel, for noise insulation, and to stop the floorboards showing through.
The Following User Says Thank You to sooz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Jewel
Old 01-09-2007, 4:03 PM

This sounds bizarre, but try John Lewis. I've just been through the same thing. The advice I got was that it was cheaper to carpet all the rooms you want in the same, as they can use cut-offs. I've managed 4 bedrooms, hall and stairs, with underlay throughout, for less than 1000 (sounds like a lot, but hard-wearing and guarantee).

I suppose I started wanting the whole place done for a tenner, but hopefully this will last ages ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jewel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dotchas
Old 01-09-2007, 5:07 PM

Thanks for the advice,100% polypropelene it is then! Saw one today at 6.25 sq m .It was felt backed as well.
Just need the painter now!
Then its the new carpet!

Cheers,
I love bargains
I love MSE
# 6
safesound
Old 01-09-2007, 8:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bought carpet this afternoon. I went for a polypropylene twist with short pile on Hessian backing as all the websites I found said a 100% wool Berber (which I really wanted) would be a nightmare with two dogs and me having difficulty remembering to take my shoes off (naughty me). I'm hoping this should do the job as I really don't want to have to re carpet for at least a few years. It has a 7 year guarantee on it (which I know isn't worth the paper its written on) whereas all the others only had 3-5 years. It was also marketed as the best choice for people with pets.
I paid 310 for 40sqm but it is a nice colour (always the girl me ). Now to persuade my carpet fitter to get off his bum and fit it for me in a fortnights time (not in stock, gotta wait for it to be ordered). Ho-hum, at least the fitting is only costing me 100 with the underlay being 140. If anyone wants a carpet fitter in South Wales.. I know a man who can.
Gorgeous boy born 11 April 2012

# 7
david_kly
Old 22-09-2008, 9:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Price advice

Polypropylene (PP) is a common textile used in 90% of carpets on the market. Even the higher end quality carpets have about 20% polypropylene in them. PP is made from thermo plastic, its resistant against stains if treated with B-Tron or scotch guard e.t.c.

Polyproylene offers strength to many carpets. You'll find the 80% wool/ 20% polypropylene carpets feel better, and the lower end carpet's have 100% polypropylene in them. There is nothing wrong with this material, but if you want the look and feel of a quality carpet, and you have some money (20 Sqm +) then go for 80%wool / 20% poly.

If you wish to spend as little as possible there are many carpets that are cheap that also offer long term benefits (100% polypropylene); stain resistant, wear resistant (B-tron protection) e.t.c. and cost 10 + Sq meter.

Less than 8 a square metre and your getting a mediocre carpet that has short term wearability (false economy - short term solution). Spend the extra and save replacing the carpet for many years.

# 8
cox377
Old 21-03-2011, 11:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Getting the mest value from carpet

Hello guys,

I'm after carpeting the whole first floor of my house to finish a recent re-furb. I'm trying to get the best value possible and my budget is on the tight side.

I'm looking at something like

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170485181790&ssP...

Does anyone have any experience with carpet like this? I'm wondering how much this carpet might be from a shop

Thank you

Coxen
Closed Thread