🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Over size fine Hermes?

Options
Does anyone know what the over size fine is via Hermes, already booked it and it's 10cm larger than the max volume (but not longer than allowed)?
Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.

Comments

• JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I sent a parcel my MyHermes a while back. I weighed it with luggage scales but they said it was overweight and would not deliver until I paid a fee which was around £6.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    Yeah, this is slightly different though; the weight is fine and even the length, it when you do the 2 x width x depth plus the length.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • KRDmum
    KRDmum Posts: 555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Happened to me 3 weeks ago. Handed the parcel in, checked it with the girls in the shop, took measurements and somehow we calculated and it was fine, I had paid for 5-10kg and the parcel was 7.8kg.
    Later that evening I got an 'incident' email from them with the invoice for £9.80. Absolutely raging, I sent them a message through messenger which they have ignored and also went to the local depot the next day, where they had told me to just phone customer services. However, they also told me that the parcel is still getting sent to the main depot.
    The parcel was delivered within two days as usual, I had cancelled the PayPal invoice with another raging note to them, explaining that it was totally unjustified. I haven't heard back since.
    I also asked them to refund me for the parcel that has not been sent, funnily enough they have ignored that message too.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    Yes, but were they saying the weight was over? I'm interested if the volume calculation is over which is 2 x h x w + L. Mine has gone now, but before it went I cut down the sides making it an irregular shape and difficult to calculate but much closer to the correct volume.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the weight is over you get an invoice but they still deliver.

I've not had one that has been oversized as per their volumetric measurements.
  • KRDmum
    edited 5 February 2016 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Yes, but were they saying the weight was over? I'm interested if the volume calculation is over which is 2 x h x w + L. Mine has gone now, but before it went I cut down the sides making it an irregular shape and difficult to calculate but much closer to the correct volume.

They said it was overweight, when it could not have possibly been. Depending on how you place the measuring tape, it could've potentially have been 2cm out for the total volume, but you would have to be really picky to do that. The kg on the label was hidden (unintentionally) under the 'address' part of the clear address pouch and I wonder if they didn't bother checking it the weight that was on it, as £9.80 is a bit random amount.

Edit: upon checking my emails, the invoice was in fact for £10.80
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KRDmum wrote: »
    They said it was overweight, when it could not have possibly been. Depending on how you place the measuring tape, it could've potentially have been 2cm out for the total volume, but you would have to be really picky to do that. The kg on the label was hidden (unintentionally) under the 'address' part of the clear address pouch and I wonder if they didn't bother checking it the weight that was on it, as £9.80 is a bit random amount.

The amount charged will consist of the difference between the weight of the parcel you booked and the actual parcel weight, plus a £2.50 admin fee and 20% VAT.
  • KRDmum
    edited 5 February 2016 at 6:59PM
    Options
    The amount charged will consist of the difference between the weight of the parcel you booked and the actual parcel weight, plus a £2.50 admin fee and 20% VAT.

I know that, thanks, but if I had booked the parcel for 5-10kg, paid £7.40 and the parcel was 7.8kg (pram chassis at 6.5 kg for chassis, the rest of the weight was box) and the next band is 10-15kg was £9 something (before the price increase), so how can they charge me another £10.80 (I checked the email) explaining the price was £9 overweight parcel fee + 20%?
    that would mean the price they were going to charge me would be £18.20! Which is not even in their price list.
  • always-busy
    Options
    I had this happen to me last October. My parcel was 223 circumference and that was with a couple of cm added extra on each side to more than cover myself and so total was no way bigger than the 225 cm permitted. The invoice was totally unjustified, it was for around £10.
  • KRDmum
    Options
    I had this happen to me last October. My parcel was 223 circumference and that was with a couple of cm added extra on each side to more than cover myself and so total was no way bigger than the 225 cm permitted. The invoice was totally unjustified, it was for around £10.

That's the circumference that I was getting too! Did you pay the invoice or did you fight it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport