PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Doubling Mortgage at nearly 40 - is it worth it?

Options
Ok here goes - I will try and keep focused-
Background - I am 39 years old, my wife is 38, we have a daughter who is nearly 4. We live in the North west England
We have a mortgage on our house. Our house is worth approx £205,000 we have an oustanding balance of £77,000 mortgage and pay £450 a month. So loan to value is very good at 38%. Additional information - we fixed 5 years ago and extended the term of our mortgage as we knew having a baby / child would have costs so we increased to 20 years from 15 years. we spend £250 on nursery fees a month.

ok new situation -

Seen a house at £280,000, if we sold our house we would need approx £150,000 mortgage. This is roughly double what we currently have. we want our payments to be under £600 so our term would need to be around 29 years.

so the question - At 39 years old, is it wise to double your mortgage, increase your term and increase your payments?
From an investment point of view what is better? To have a house worth £205,000 owing just £77,000 or having a £280,000 property and owing £150,000. Or is it just the same. Though monthly my payments would increase by around 30%.
My plan to retire early is achievable in my current house as I would pay my mortgage off in say 15 years. But it would be nearly 30 years when I would pay off the new monies. If obviously I stayed and did not down size.

So I guess the question remains - when all the info highlights paying off your mortgage should be a priority. Is it ever worth doubling your mortgage mount when you get to nearly 40??
:rotfl:

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does the new house have that your current one doesn't? Could you do stuff to your current house that would save you the fees you'll have to pay to buy the other house?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • natman
    natman Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.. A good point, but the new house is better, different area but costs more than I wanted really, isnt that always the case. I do have the option to stay of course. Just weighing up the options really. We are after moving to this area ideally. Just wondering people's thoughts on it really.
  • D00gie72
    D00gie72 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I can't really advise on your particular financial situation - only you really will know ifyou can afford the new mortgage. Just wanted to say I'm a few years older than you and also have young children. We moved into a much bigger house last year - just over doubling our mortgage and I'm so very happy that we did. Yes the mortgage repayments are higher and we've gone back to a 20+year mortgage but for us it was absolutely the best thing to do. Our children have more space - we have a much bigger garden and - well - life is good!
    Try not to think just about the investment side - at the end of the day its a home and you need to consider how the more expensive house will improve your families life.
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    Have you played around with a few affordability calculators to see if it's even viable?

What rates you're looking at / if lenders will lend on the term you're proposing?
  • matchboxfull
    Options
    It all depends on what you want out of life now and for your future, as well as on what you can afford.

Don't forget that these days people are increasingly getting their first mortgages in their late thirties, ourselves included. Owning a home outright before retirement is our goal!
  • natman
    Options
    Thanks for your replies there and yes we have played with calculators etc, and yes it is viable to do what we are doing etc, we both work full time, not on mega money but both earn approx £26k each.

we live financially 'ok' at the minute, but when our daughter goes to school this will free up some funds. we could just stay and go wild and pay off our mortgage like crazy and have it paid up in 12 years or so.
    This giving us a house worth say £215,000, being just over 50 and having no mortgage - what a dream..........

But like Doogie says - I do want something a bit better, a bit bigger, a bit nicer , want to improve our families life that little bit more...but that means our long term goal / plan changes. But is it for the worse or is it for the better?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What kind of job are you in? If its a physically demanding job would you be able to still work when your nearly 70?

Do you have the potential to inherit anything in the future to help pay off your mortgage earlier? i.e. have parents that own a property/assets?

Could you up your monthly payments to shorten your term?

Personally, I wouldn't want to still be paying a mortgage at nearly 70, but that is my personal preference.
  • skint_chick
    Options
    Is the new house one that you would stay in even after your daughter is grown up and left? If you were then downsizing in 20ish years time then you might not even need to worry about the final 10years of the mortgage.

Is it your perfect house in every way rather than just the area? Any work to do to the new house?

I wouldn't be worried about the larger mortgage because you'll still have plenty of equity. I would look at if/when your childcare costs will reduce how much of that £250 you will have spare - if it's £150 or more then you won't necessarily feel the impact of the larger mortgage. Your best plan is to do a full budget for all the new costs, increased bills, council tax, additional travel costs to make sure you've taken everything into account.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • natman
    edited 12 January 2016 at 4:02PM
    Options
    I agree about not thinking about it as an investment but i guess it would roughly be equal - using the very approx figures below
    to stay in current house - at age 55 own house worth £220,000 no mortgage zero monthly mortgage payments

to move in bigger / more expensive house - at age 55 house to be worth say £300,000, but have outstanding mortgage of £80,000 paying say £600 a month.

I could down size at that point like the comments above so not needing to actually see out the remaining mortgage term

However the journery over the 15 / 16 years would be better in the 'better' house...(hopefully)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It sounds like you have already decided what you wish to do. Go with your heart! And good luck with it all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure