Getting rid of User Name & Password box when I log on to Windows

Options
When I start up my computer a box has now appeared saying Log on to Windows and says User name: xp and Password: (which is blank). I usually just return and then my computer starts up.

I don't know why this has started to appear as it never used to. I've probably clicked on somehting I shouldn't have.

Can I get rid of it so that I can just start up the computer without having to wait and return the box?

Comments

• Dunwunderin
    Options
    Got the same problem with a new computer with windows10.

Tried unchecking boxes in start up routine but has not worked.

Changed to a local account but still no good!
    This is most annoying.
    :mad:
    Anybody got an idea to banish this nonsense for good?
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2016 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Got the same problem with a new computer with windows10.

Tried unchecking boxes in start up routine but has not worked.

Changed to a local account but still no good!
    This is most annoying.
    :mad:
    Anybody got an idea to banish this nonsense for good?

Right click the Windows logo, select Run option. in the Run box type netplwiz

click OK and follow the prompts.
    Restart Win 10.
  • Dunwunderin
    Options
    Your recipe worked a treat!
    Strangely enough my box was already unchecked before I applied your cure.
    Left the box unchecked and it worked on restart today.
    Many thanks for your help.:)
  • Middle_Sister
    Options
    When I start up my computer a box has now appeared saying Log on to Windows and says User name: xp and Password: (which is blank). I usually just return and then my computer starts up.

I don't know why this has started to appear as it never used to. I've probably clicked on somehting I shouldn't have.

Can I get rid of it so that I can just start up the computer without having to wait and return the box?

There is nowhere for me to click Windows. The only options I have are okay, shutdown or options. When I click on options, nothing happens. We don't have windows we are xp.

Still getting the annoying box.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Er, it's Windows XP.
    If you bypass the login procedure then all the data on your PC is wide open to anyone using it, or stealing it. Password protecting your user account is a basic precaution.
    XP is obsolete and unsupported, so don't do any financial transactions on it, and don't use Internet Explorer-install another browser.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2016 at 10:40PM
    Options
    For XP

Start button, click 'Run', type "control userpasswords2" (without ") then untick relevant box.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Middle_Sister
    Middle_Sister Posts: 548 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2016 at 2:37PM
    Options
    I thought I had done it but now when I log on it comes up with a Dell screen whereas before I had the island. Also I only have. Recycle bin, internet explorer, avast, cc cleaner, Mozilla, media centre & window media player icons down the left hand side. Shoot. My husband will go nuts. I've lost word, excel and the Internet icon. How can I get it back?

Now when I start it up there 2 boxes. Saying. User name: Administrator and Password. Which is blank. When I just return that's when I get the Dell different screen.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You haven't lost anything except the short cuts, the actual programmes will still be there. It is confusing me what you actually have as your initial post was to get rid of the log-in box, which you appear to have done but then you say "now when I log in .." It sounds like you might have created a new user profile, hence the different looking desktop. Starting from a cold boot, i.e. after having been shut down, switch on and observe EXACTLY what comes up on screen and make a note of it. If you can post on here from a separate system (phone/table/laptop) do that whilst keeping your main machine running.

Oh and what is "the island"?
  • Middle_Sister
    Middle_Sister Posts: 548 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2016 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    You haven't lost anything except the short cuts, the actual programmes will still be there. It is confusing me what you actually have as your initial post was to get rid of the log-in box, which you appear to have done but then you say "now when I log in .." It sounds like you might have created a new user profile, hence the different looking desktop. Starting from a cold boot, i.e. after having been shut down, switch on and observe EXACTLY what comes up on screen and make a note of it. If you can post on here from a separate system (phone/table/laptop) do that whilst keeping your main machine running.

Oh and what is "the island"?

My screensaver

Now I'm scared to do anything. When I start it up now I get the box as above saying Administrator and password. When I leave the password blank I then go to the screen with the new icons down the left. How can I get back to my original screen with all my original icons.

I am panicking because I can't access Word excel or Chrome.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you tried the advice in post #7?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts