No travel insurance - advice please

Options
Hello to the forum,

Does anyone have advice on what to do following an accident abroad without travel insurance?

My sister is in Argentina and was involved in a hit and run on NYE, now in hospital with a broken hip. It's her first time overseas and didn't think to take out travel insurance - (she will next time!)

She has a Tesco's credit card, however their travel insurance does not come as standard. She banks with Barclay's and is currently in discussion with them to see what cover if any she has with them.

Any advice appreciated - a difficult situation and a lesson to be learnt!

br,
Charles :o

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume there is not the equivalent of the MIB like in the UK where you can claim when hit by an uninsured driver? My guess is no, but presumably an uninsured visitor to the UK could claim via the MIB.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like she is doing what she can by checking if she has any cover she was unaware of....if she pays a monthly charge for her Barclays account then she may have some cover. If not, this is likely to be a very expensive lesson (I am guessing that medical costs in Argentina are not cheap)
  • charlescdean01
    Options
    Thank-you for the replies. I have had a look at MIB in Argentina, a useful suggestion. However my limited knowledge of Argentina suggests they won't have a similar office in place.

Indeed, an expensive lesson.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    The public health system in Argentina should be free to foreigners, you should only need to pay for prescriptions one you leave hospital.
    If she's in a private hospital, look at getting her moved to a public one ASAP.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems that there are some countries with reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK but sadly not argentina http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/NonEEAcountries/Pages/Non-EEAcountries.aspx
    Pity there are not more countries where basic life saving care is provided on a like-for-like basis but I guess there are worries about abuse via "health tourism"
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    if she pays a monthly charge for her Barclays account then she may have some cover.

Trouble is, insurance through an account, is usually for European holidays, not Worldwide.

I have travel insurance from Barclays (as part of my account), and it's European, not Worldwide.
  • rsharp
    rsharp Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Trouble is, insurance through an account, is usually for European holidays, not Worldwide.

I have travel insurance from Barclays (as part of my account), and it's European, not Worldwide.

Hi Bedsit Bob - it is not the case that insurance through an account is "usually for European holidays". Based on what you say, you have Barclays "Travel Pack", which is European cover, because that's the pack you selected.

However, "Travel Plus Pack" cover is worldwide, so it is possible that the OP's sister has this cover, or one of several other Barclays Travel insurances that are no longer on sale.

OP - I hope your sister is ok.
    MSIQ = 158 :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I assume there is not the equivalent of the MIB like in the UK where you can claim when hit by an uninsured driver? My guess is no, but presumably an uninsured visitor to the UK could claim via the MIB.
    Nice idea but in the UK MIB can take months, even years to payout so wouldn't cover hospital bills as they happen.

IF there was an equivalent in Argentina then it would probably run on the same system. it would be designed to make a single payout once all is done and dusted not drip-feed payouts.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As long as she is in a public hospital then the treatment should be free

However she will need to find accommodation etc to possibly cover any gap between being discharged and being certified fit to fly back to the UK and possibly the flight costs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure