London trip - where to stay for easy access to these areas?

Options
Hi all, I am taking my dad to London for 2 nights /3 days last weekend of February but I have not booked anything yet. Hoping to book something for the trip before end of this week, as this is his 65th birthday present (his birthday is 22nd Nov) and christmas present. I want to put something in his card.

He knows the trip is planned and he wants to do the following:
London crime museum, London eye, Tower of London & changing of the guard. The thing is, I have not done any sightseeing at all in London, and don't know where to start ref booking these things, or most importantly where is best to stay to keep travel to the minimum?

Can anyone advise? We would be travelling to London by train from Leamington Spa in the midlands. Thanks for any help you can offer.
:snow_laug

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The tfl website (https://tfl.gov.uk/) is handy for working out travel between different attractions.

When you say the crime museum do you mean the Black Museum exhibition at the Museum of London?

Changing of the Guard - does he want to see at Buckingham Palace or at Horseguards? (http://changing-guard.com/queens-life-guard.html)

I'd plan when and where you plan to see that, then book the other things around it.

I personally would go to the Tower on whichever day you don't see the changing of the guard, and aim to get there first thing to avoid too much queuing.

Then aim to go to the museum of London exhibit in the afternoon after seeing the changing of guard in the morning, and the London Eye either on your first evening, or during the afternoon after seeing the Tower.

Pre-book the Eye to reduce queueing time (you queue once to buy a ticket and once to get on, otherwise) - depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a fast track ticket. I think that the last weekend of Feb is after most school half terms have finished so I wouldn't expect massive queues.

Hotel: what are your priorities? Personally, I would think about when I was going to be carrying luggage, so probably look for one near the station you'll be arriving to and leaving from - that way, you don't have to worry about navigating lots of stairs, busy trains etc with luggage.

I think that tickets for the tower of London are slightly cheaper if booked on line - I visted last year and booked on my own while standing outside the tower as the queue to pick up pre-booked tickets was shorter than the one to by, too!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2015 at 9:59PM
    Options
    PS - the reason I'd do the attractions that the Tower of London involves a fair amount of walking and the changing of the guard involves a lot of standing around, whereas the museum and London Eye both need less time and energy, so you don't have one massively exhausting day!

Horseguards & London Eye one day and Tower + museum of London the other makes sense in terms of where things are in connection to each other
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • NoreenOMS
    Options
    Wowzers! That is an extremely helpful reply. Thank you very much. I didn't even know that there were two different changing of the guard, so I will research that. Thanks for suggesting ref which days would be best for different things!!! Yes, it's the black museum exhibit.
    Ref hotel, we wouldn't have too much luggage, but hadn't thought about that. - thank you.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two for one on many London Attractions if you travel in by train.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/
  • Claudie
    Claudie Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are looking for something a little different and have time to get to the Greenwich area (and the Maritime Museum), there is also the cable car across the Thames. Beautiful views and great value for money.

http://www.emiratesairline.co.uk/
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention ~ Anonymous
  • forestwn6
    Options
    If you shop at Tesco, look at using Deals for Train tickets, hotels, and various attractions. You can get up to 4x voucher value.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently did the same sort of weekend and we stayed at the Mercure in Southwark it's the other side of the river but easy access to all the attractions you mentioned

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193644-Reviews-Mercure_London_Bridge-London_England.html

It was a nice hotel staff were lovely. You're within walking distance of both the London Bridge and Southwark stations
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    As you will be out a lot sightseeing I would just look for a clean budget hotel to stay in. Look at Premier Inn and travelodge hotels in central London. Blackfriars Premier Inn has a twin bed room for Frid 26/2 for £69 and £79 Sat 27/2 and £59 for Sun 28/2. It a few minutes walk from the train/underground station. 10 min walk to St Pauls Cathedral and nearby Old Bailey.

10 minutes tube journey from Blackfriars to Tower Hill for the Tower of london. 5 mins on the district or circle line from Blackfriars to St James (10 min walk from there) for Buckingham Palace. Direct 5 minute jouney to Westminster for Big Ben, Houses Of Parliament, London Eye.
    I would look on tripadvisor for reviews,
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2015 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Op if you are quick, the Marlin Apartments Empire Square, London Bridge have a half price sale at £75 per night for a one bedroom apartment (Nile posted in the Grabbit board, so thanks to Nile) and they currently have your dates available 26-29 Feb. They have free wifi, luxury toiletries, fully fitted kitchen, sitting room and washer and dryer for the price of a budget hotel room.
    http://www.marlinapartments.com/black-friday-sale.html
    empiresq4main.jpg
  • NoreenOMS
    NoreenOMS Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't been back on in a while, thanks for all your help. I am now in a position to arrange something, and those apartments look a great choice. Thank you all!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport