PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I love lists. Lets build the ultimate money saving list.

Options
samsamesggsandham
samsamesggsandham Posts: 34 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 3 November 2015 at 5:14PM in Old style MoneySaving
I am getting organised and I am stepping up my money saving.
I have started by buying a clean new lined notebook with the sole purpose of of keeping track of what I have done/achieved and what I need to do.
I need help building my first list of as many money saving ideas as I can and need your help for inspiration to get me up and running.

What are you best money savers? Please also score how easy it was to do and how much benefit it gave you (marks out of 10).
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    I got this list from a Debt Free Wannabee thread:

Quote:
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Recognise the differences between needs from wants

Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Quit expensive habits
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cashback sites and always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join Freecycle or other similar waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    Bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Beadmaking & home baking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting for better discounts & shared postal costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Free scratchcards
    Matched betting
    Free online bingo
    eBid and eBay trading
    etc, etc, etc...
    These are worth being frugal over. I would have to find the motivation for.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I have started by buying a clean new lined notebook with the sole purpose of of keeping track of what I have done/achieved and what I need to do.
    I need help building my first list of as many money saving ideas as I can and need your help for inspiration to get me up and running.

What are you best money savers? Please also score how easy it was to do and how much benefit it gave you (marks out of 10).
    Check your bank & credit card statements regularly and meticulously. The number of people who say they've been paying for something they didn't know about for years astounds me.

Be aware of where every penny you spend goes.
    It's easy to haemorrage money on coffee, cakes, magazines etc.

Don't allow auto-renewals for things like insurance. Don't accept the first price, negotiate it down.

It's hard to give specific advice as we don't really know what your financial situation is.
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I like lists too and then create spreadsheets, and as I work through my spreadsheets I colour code them. I used to be a P.A., it's my OCD being organised kicking in! :rotfl:
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I would have found a jotter or paper or even a notebook I already had. That would have been my first saving.
    Find something else to do other than wander around the shops. Do not buy a coffee etc to wander along the street with. make some at your office or home and buy one of those travel mugs. Tidy out your wardrobe - you might find lots of bits that still fit that you haven't worn in a while. Make a list of everything in your fridge and freezer and meal plan from what you have already. When you go to the supermarket only buy food - if you can't eat it don't buy it. Shops are there to encourage you to part with your money so don't buy more than you need. That fancy stuff you must have to make your washing smell a small spray of your fav fragrance does that even better.
  • samsamesggsandham
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    I got this list from a Debt Free Wannabee thread:

Quote:
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Recognise the differences between needs from wants

Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Quit expensive habits
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cashback sites and always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join Freecycle or other similar waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    Bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Beadmaking & home baking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting for better discounts & shared postal costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Free scratchcards
    Matched betting
    Free online bingo
    eBid and eBay trading
    etc, etc, etc...
    These are worth being frugal over. I would have to find the motivation for.

Great. I have Mortgage (Difficulty 9/10 and Benefit 10/10) at the top of my list and yours are now added in - Thanks. I can feel the motivation building.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 October 2015 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I record every spend in a notebook. It sounds a bit obsessive but it really does help me keep track of where my money actually goes, and it helps me to keep an eye on how much I'm spending on various things. It is a bit of a discipline to do it but I really do feel less 'in control' when I don't. Also, the effort of having to write something down does mean that I'm less keen to buy those little frittery things that really do waste your money.
  • samsamesggsandham
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I record every spend in a notebook. It sounds a but obsessive but it really does help me keep track of where my money actually goes, and it helps me to keep an eye on how much I'm spending on various things. It is a bit of a discipline to do it but I really do feel less 'in control' when I don't. Also, the effort of having to write something down does mean that I'm less keen to buy those little frittery things that really do waste your money.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me about being 'in control'. It also helps me look back and see the progress I have made - without it feels like I am not making progress when in reality I might be. Looking back I am often surprised!

Any more ideas doe the list and scores are welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Best thing I can think of is cut down the amount of time spent actually going to the shops.I have only been once this month [22 days] and I am hoping only to go once more before the end of the month.I have been using up and eating from my existing stocks and have found that the amount of food I have accumulated seems inexhaustible So before you go and buy even more to go in the cupboard use what you have and be inventive with it,even a tin of beans takes nicer with some grated cheese on top.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If I am going to the supermarket for a top up shop I go on foot and only take one bag with me. That way you only buy what you need and what you can carry.

Always make a list of what you already have in the cupboards and make a menu plan for the week before you go shopping.
    Figure out what time the supermarket reduces their fruit/veg/bread/cakes but don't buy it if you won't eat it.
    Most things can be frozen, they reduce things everyday.
    Making the kids hot chocolate, and making hot water bottles at bedtime means you can keep the heating off for longer without any complaints! It also keeps them under their duvets.

Always take a packed lunch.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 October 2015 at 5:30PM
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    I would have found a jotter or paper or even a notebook I already had. That would have been my first saving.
    Find something else to do other than wander around the shops. Do not buy a coffee etc to wander along the street with. make some at your office or home and buy one of those travel mugs. Tidy out your wardrobe - you might find lots of bits that still fit that you haven't worn in a while. Make a list of everything in your fridge and freezer and meal plan from what you have already. When you go to the supermarket only buy food - if you can't eat it don't buy it. Shops are there to encourage you to part with your money so don't buy more than you need. That fancy stuff you must have to make your washing smell a small spray of your fav fragrance does that even better.
    Just to add that if your tastes haven't changed much over the years, by going into clothing stores you may inadvertently buy something that you already have, or v similar. A visual wardrobe audit will put a stop to it, and make you feel "richer" if you happen to find yourself window shopping (which is a complete waste of time, btw).

List every material thing you need. If you have a well-established home it will be a short list, everything outside this is a "want".

Give to, and buy from charity shops. (I freely admit that my chazzer purchases are usually "wants").

Drink coffee socially rather than go out for meals or to the pub.

Enjoy free stuff - a walk is a good example, clears your head and allows you to appreciate your environment. Looking at your photos is also a lovely free treat that brings back good memories.

Eta: wake up 1/2 earlier every day and use that time to look at the OS board, there are stacks of ideas on countless threads.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure