PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please

Options
Help, I know I shouldn't complain but our tomato plants have gone mad this year and we have zillions of tomatoes, some weigh over 1lb each ( I think that's about 500gms)
I have given loads away to friends and family but still have loads.
Being a good money saver ;D I can't let them go to waste so can anyone suggest some quick recipes I can make and freeze, or store in any way?
I have made tomato sauce, the type for pizza and one I use with pasta but any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Options
    I too have had a bumper harvest this year and have been making tomato soup twice a week for the last month.

Recipe
    1 1/2 lbs of tomatoes
    2oz butter
    2oz flour
    4oz onions
    1 1/2 pts vegetable stock(made with stock cubes)

Remove core of tomato and put cross on bottom of tomato place in boiling water for 15 secs remove put in cold water then remove skin,chop roughly.
    Melt butter add roughly chopped onions cook till soft.
    Add flour and cook gently for 2 mins.
    GRADUALLY(otherwise it will go lumpy)add the veg stock and allow to thicken each time.
    When all liquid has been added put tomatoes in season and simmer for 10 mins.
    Liquidize and freeze.
    I freeze in plastic containers when frozen take out (run under hot tap for a few secs to help) and place in plastic bag,so in effect you have a big tomato soup ice cube.
    HTH
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    What about roasting in trays, cut in half or quarters. Sprinkle with herbs/spices, whatever you have handy, drizzle of olive oil. Bake about 30-40 mins. (Once cool, get rid of the skin.)
    Freeze. Then use in pasta/pizza, stews or soups.
  • apsie
    apsie Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    This is fab with mature cheddar, in sandwiches, with salads, and pretty easy too.

Fresh Tomato Chutney - makes 2 jars, keep in the fridge.

900g - 1kg tomatoes, chopped
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
    3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
    1 heaped tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon of salt
    cayenne pepper - to taste, as hot as you like, I tend to use about half a teaspoon - medium spicy!

In a large pan, fry the onion in the oil until softened. Add all the other ingredients, stir well and cook uncovered on a medium-high heat for about 30 - 45mins, until the mixture looks fairly thick. Stir regularly throughout. Ladle into jars (one large or 2 smaller). Leave until cold then seal.
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Make your own 'sun-dried' tomatoes. Chop in half/quarters depending on size of tomatoes. Bake in oven on low heat all day. Store in jars either on their own or in olive oil or olive oil with basil. Luvverly! Go lovely in fresh bread like this too. ;D
    Mink
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You lucky person! With all the publicity recently about how good tomatoes are for us (help prevent cancer, strokes, etc., if you eat 8 a day or more), your family should be extremely healthy!

:D
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • Js_Other_Half
    Options
    Don't try and eat huge amounts in a short period of time if you can avoid it; I know a man who actually became so allergic to tomatoes that he developed arthritis - they had grown their own too.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • silverlady_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    Spent most of yesterday in the kitchen using all your ideas, well not all of Cathy's, there were quite a few!! but I'm sure I'll use some of them, thanks again.

MimiJane, sad to say my husband is not too well,he has asbestosis and then had a heart attack earlier this year so I try and grow fruit and veg, so we can eat a healthy diet to keep him/us as well as possible.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sorry to hear about your husband, take care. and thanks for the thread, i have loads left over too.
  • silverlady_2
    Options
    I think I'll start getting lunch soon, Tomato soup I think ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business