IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
postage to germany ???????????
Closed Thread
Views: 7,788
# 1
boots1
Old 20-08-2007, 10:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default postage to germany ???????????

hi i have recently started to sell stuff on ebay just small bits, clothing etc
to try and make some extra cash for xmas

i have listed a bundle of clothing and i have put postage only within the uk,this is only because i am wary about posting abroad because i know nothing about it !

even so someone has contacted me to see if i will post to germany,i would imagine the bundle will probably go for about 50 but to buy it new it would have been about 450

if i knew it was safe then i would consider international postage,can someone tell me what i need to do ensure it definately gets there,what kind of compensation level i should place and what i should charge the item i really heavy probably about 15/20kg,also is there anything i should check with the buyer the feedback if over 200 and its 100% at the minute

thanks in advance boots
# 2
steviebabes
Old 20-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I wouldn't bother, shipping this weight would cost a packet also Germans are not keen on paypal.
The Following User Says Thank You to steviebabes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
frivolous_fay
Old 20-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The Germans aren't mad about paypal (although its use is increasing) but they do love BANK TRANSFER - the thrifty sellers' friend
My TV is broken!
Edit: refunded 515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
The Following User Says Thank You to frivolous_fay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
tomstickland
Old 20-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Posting to Germany is easy.
If it's light enough then Airsure is a good option.
After that the courier services are good. Something like interparcel or parcel2go.
Oh dear.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomstickland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
boots1
Old 20-08-2007, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for that folks
is there anything that i should be aware of to avoid any problems with the buyer?
when you say bank transfer frivolous_fay would that not be something to worry about as you would have to give them your bank details?

what the cheapest place to look for reliable postage and would you recommend if i did send it abroad to have it tracked,and would you set the compensation level to what it sold for or what i was worth origianally,i havent got any of the receipts for the clothes i am selling ,would a courier/royal mail carry the parcel if it weighed 15/20kg ?i have quoted 20 for postage within the uk would this be about right i dont want to end up spending more if it wont cover the costs ,what figure as a rough estimate would you give to the german buyer as postage costs?

sorry to have to ask all of these question as they are probably common knowledge but i haven't got a clue about this ebay thing,it seemed a good idea when i was tidying all of my cupboards out and taking the photos !!!!!!!!
thanks again
# 6
frivolous_fay
Old 21-08-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots1 View Post
thanks for that folks
is there anything that i should be aware of to avoid any problems with the buyer?
when you say bank transfer frivolous_fay would that not be something to worry about as you would have to give them your bank details?
You do that every time you write a cheque It's the safest possible way to get paid... other than cash in your grubby hand.
My TV is broken!
Edit: refunded 515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
The Following User Says Thank You to frivolous_fay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
boots1
Old 21-08-2007, 12:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolous_fay View Post
You do that every time you write a cheque It's the safest possible way to get paid... other than cash in your grubby hand.
good point ! ,i didn't think about that,
# 8
boots1
Old 23-08-2007, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
what the cheapest place to look for reliable postage and would you recommend if i did send it abroad to have it tracked,and would you set the compensation level to what it sold for or what i was worth origianally,i havent got any of the receipts for the clothes i am selling ,would a courier/royal mail carry the parcel if it weighed 15/20kg ?i have quoted 20 for postage within the uk would this be about right i dont want to end up spending more if it wont cover the costs ,what figure as a rough estimate would you give to the german buyer as postage costs?

sorry to have to ask all of these question as they are probably common knowledge but i haven't got a clue about this ebay thing,it seemed a good idea when i was tidying all of my cupboards out and taking the photos !!!!!!!!
thanks again
just wondering if anyone can advise on above i have checked parcel2go and it is coming in at around 40 which i still think i may be able to get i cheaper,
thanks boots
# 9
dazza.mk
Old 23-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Bank Transfers are easy from Germany BUT!

1. Make sure the payment is paid in EUROS not Pounds
2. Provide you IBAN and BIC (should be on statement) NOT Sort Code and Account Number
3. Make sure the sender selects shared charges NOT buyer pays all charges.

As long as the above are selected the transfer will be free (due to EU legislation) - most you will pay is pennies on the Fx Rate

You can see this stated explicitly on the First Direct Fees and charges page
"(payments up to 50,000 euros or 500,000 Swedish Krona from a country in the EU will be received free of charge provided the BIC and IBAN numbers are provided with the payment). "
http://www.firstdirect.com/rates/charges.shtml
The Following User Says Thank You to dazza.mk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
soolin
Old 23-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza.mk View Post
Bank Transfers are easy from Germany BUT!

1. Make sure the payment is paid in EUROS not Pounds
l
Unfortunately items listed on ebay uk are in pounds. Therefore the seller is obliged to accept pounds and cannot insist buyer pays in euros, unless of course buyer wants to do so and is happy with the arrangement.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
frivolous_fay
Old 23-08-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin View Post
Unfortunately items listed on ebay uk are in pounds. Therefore the seller is obliged to accept pounds and cannot insist buyer pays in euros, unless of course buyer wants to do so and is happy with the arrangement.
Wow... learn something new every day.

I can't see why someone in the euro zone would object to paying with euros though - I'm sure it won't be a problem.
My TV is broken!
# 12
daffodiltulip
Old 23-08-2007, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Have you taken the parcel to the post office, weighed it and asked how much?
The Following User Says Thank You to daffodiltulip For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
soolin
Old 23-08-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Wow... learn something new every day.

I can't see why someone in the euro zone would object to paying with euros though - I'm sure it won't be a problem.
I'm sure German buyers would prefer euros unless they felt the seller was being unfair with their suggested conversion rate.

I only know this as I sell on ebay.com sometimes and read the rules about selling in a different country..I'll never find the specific rule again though..hence no link! Whatever the currency it is listed in, that what you can insist on paying in.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
boots1
Old 23-08-2007, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hiya i need your help again please

i have had another buyer from czech republic first of all asking if they can bid and have it shipped to friends address in the uk but the will pay from their paypal account in czech

i asked if her friend could pay using there paypal account with confirmed address,they said she will ask but is unsure if has enough funds to cover it,i suggested bank transfer or bankers draft which i stated i would be prepared to wait a while for if needed,the buyer only has low feedback score but has purchased a lot of things from those buyers

this person said she will pay buy it now price which is a lot better than i would expect if doing through auction

is there anything else i can suggest?ps i have just found payperdrop after reading other listings but even after checking if i could send it there the postage would be silly amounts so that rules that out

she said she appreciates my decision but is just trying to come to a reasonable agreement as she wants the clothes,should i be worried and just let this pass by or can someone suggest another way that does not put me at risk of losing any money or goods
thanks
# 15
frivolous_fay
Old 23-08-2007, 11:17 PM

I would go for it if they agree to pay by bank transfer, but sending to an address not shown on the paypal payment... no way.

I don't actually know what currency would be applicable there...?
My TV is broken!
# 16
boots1
Old 24-08-2007, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi once more thicko needs your help

the person has agreed to do a bank transfer and forward friends address to me,what details do i need to give her ? should i just give her an account i do not really use because i know frivolous fay said bank details are on a cheque but i am still wary because i have never given my bank details to anyone i dont know before other than large companies,is there any risk at all to fraud on my accounts ?

can the money be claimed back at all after i have released the goods like paypal ?

is there anything else i should be aware of and when i am sending the item should i get it signed for ?

thanks again
thick stick X
# 17
boots1
Old 24-08-2007, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

the person has agreed to do a bank transfer and forward friends address to me,what details do i need to give her ? should i just give her an account i do not really use because i know frivolous fay said bank details are on a cheque but i am still wary because i have never given my bank details to anyone i dont know before other than large companies,is there any risk at all to fraud on my accounts ?

can the money be claimed back at all after i have released the goods like paypal ?

is there anything else i should be aware of and when i am sending the item should i get it signed for ?

thanks again
thick stick X
sorry i am just bumping this to see if anyone can advise on the above as my items end shortly and the bids have started to arrive and this person said she will pay buy it now am i right in thinking i can end the auction early to highest bidder if it is the person who is going to pay buy it now price {buy it now has diappeared as i had no reserve}
thanks
# 18
tintinlostsnowy
Old 24-08-2007, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi ask your german bidder if they know any squaddies based over there where you can send to a bfpo # it will only cost 13 quid for up to 20 kg
or it may even be a squaddie
i know i used to have parcels sent to me for local civies

forgot to mention it is worldwide for 13 quid to all b.f.p.o. # upto 20kg
(british forces post office)

Last edited by tintinlostsnowy; 24-08-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: forgot to mention it is worldwide for 13 quid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tintinlostsnowy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
frivolous_fay
Old 24-08-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:

In short: Bank transfer, risky for buyers, safe for you
Czech republic - Don't know their currency. Euro=good, anything else, complicated
Details to give: Account no, Sort code, IBAN, BIC. Address if necessary
My TV is broken!
# 20
boots1
Old 24-08-2007, 11:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
In short: Bank transfer, risky for buyers, safe for you
Czech republic - Don't know their currency. Euro=good, anything else, complicated
Details to give: Account no, Sort code, IBAN, BIC. Address if necessary
thanks,from googling czech currecy it comes up czech koruna ,when you say complicated is this just with exchange rates or are there likely to be other problems ?
will my bank charge me for receiving the payment ?{its barclays},can i ask the buyer to cover any costs for receiving and exchange rate etc or would i just have to accept them and are they likely to amount to a lot of money

thanks
Closed Thread